Stumps Clone Build sheet?

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Dantes Inferno
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Stumps Clone Build sheet?

Post by Dantes Inferno » June 9th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Just bought the double pan Stumps clone plans and was wondering if there is a build sheet available, and if any of you are not familiar with that, it is the sheet that tells me exactly how material I will need to build and complete the smoker. I searched on here but didnt find anything. I have called but have not received an answer. Any help from you guys on here would be greatly appreciated!

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Stumps Clone Build sheet?

Post by Puff » June 9th, 2015, 7:15 pm

I believe that topic has surfaced before but the cut list as I know it is not available....yet? I tried assembling a materials list when I started building mine but did it more from measuring pieces on the print. Ultimately it was a little short so I abandoned any updates with my build

Here what I had started but clearly it is incorrect and I did change things up a little

70 feet of 2x2 14 gauge
20 feet 1 ¾x 1 3/4 14 gauge
1 4’x4’x ¼” plate
1 ½ sheets of aluminum tread plate 1/16” 4’x8’
20 feet of guide rail material for shelves
2 sheets of 14 gauge 4’x8’
7 2x4x2" insulation panels

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 9th, 2015, 9:31 pm

sorry, I have not had time to get that done yet. I am way way way behind on drawings right now. I am sorry I have not been able to answer the phone lately.... summer is our busiest season. I am trying to find a solution.

Dantes Inferno
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Dantes Inferno » June 10th, 2015, 8:16 am

Hey Puff thanks for the info, where were you short? And Frank I totally understand! No worries!

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » June 10th, 2015, 9:26 am

Well, I wouldn't call it short... Oh you mean the steel?

Because I had changed some of the printed construction pieces, it was mostly square tubing for the surface mounted door, the rain dam, and the ash box cleanout. I had also under estimated the amount of skin metal I would need for making the slope interior bends the bottom part that looks like a "Z".
Since everything is essentially doubled and then 4 inches wider for the outer skin I did not correctly add up the volume of parts. Additionally I purchased 4 x 10 sheets instead of 4 x 8 sheets and despite the 2 foot additional piece I had some scraps that were still big enough for something but not big enough for the smoker. Those pieces I used for the door skins on the small doors.

I also had the flange for the fuel door and the flange for the ash cleanout door plasma cut. That was a mistake. I should have simply taken 1 inch flat stock and assembled it myself. When I looked at the print I realized that it was simple to just weld the flat stock into a frame. Unfortunately I had already faxed my order into the supplier.

Additionally, I had a beautiful piece of 12gauge doing nothing so I put that into my left side wall as a so-called protector of heat. So my purchase of 4 x 8 14gauge was also under calculated despite the 10 foot pieces.

I think one of the smart things I did was to take some of that 12gauge and install it where my latch components were going to be mounted. It's like hanging a curtain rod in your house. The header only extends a few inches past the window, when you go to install the brackets they just go into open sheet rock with no support behind. By welding these strips of 12gauge to the edge of the frame, when I drill the holes for the self tapping metal screws they not only bit into the skin but had a substantial bite into the subsurface material. I have no fears of anything pulling out or losing grip.

Frank did tell me to ensure a modicum of safety, allow enough freedom of movement in the tray that supports your charcoal to be slid out in the event of a uncontrolled burn. While I did use half-inch rod for this tray, I also had some three-quarter inch and made a second one of that monster heavy stuff. Still using the half-inch one however but there is a loop hanging down to be able to grab it quickly and pull it out of the chamber which would then cause all of the charcoal and wood above it to collapse downwards... Why I remember that I have no idea.

good luck with building I too am interested in seeing your pictures. I currently remain in smoker builder limbo... No new ideas and an ice cold welder ~x(
Last edited by Puff on June 10th, 2015, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by forty_creek » June 10th, 2015, 3:22 pm

Puff daddy hitting the BTUs!!! Always thorough! That's what makes this site what it is IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN