Another Mini Gravity Feed

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Richb
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Another Mini Gravity Feed

Post by Richb » August 16th, 2015, 1:47 pm

Well I downloaded the plans. And after studing the plans, I ordered the metal. It arrived yesterday, so I started this morning hoping to get some done before the heat ran me back inside. I decided that I wanted to do 45 degree corners for a cleaner look. (We'll see how that works out for me.)
image.jpg
Cut metal for main frame.
image.jpg
Test fit, before insulating and tacking

Richb

Current smokers, Mini Gravity Feed Smoker (just finished building), Cookshack electric smoker, And a Charbroil Offset Smoker.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Another Mini Gravity Feed

Post by Frank_Cox » August 16th, 2015, 2:12 pm

awesome!!!if ya can, stuff the tubing with mineral woo insulation before you weld it up.
:beer: :beer:

Richb

Post by Richb » August 16th, 2015, 2:29 pm

I plan to do just that. I was just trying out the fit. I have a little more clean up to do on the joints before I put in the insulation and tack it up. We are already at 100 degrees here, and it was only 11:00 am, so I called it day. I still have to get the insulation before I get any further.

Richb

Current smokers, Mini Gravity Feed Smoker (just finished building), Cookshack electric smoker, And a Charbroil Offset Smoker.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » August 16th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Looking good Richb, I though that my frame would be finished already this week but the heat...by the time I can get home and start is nearly mid 90's with very high humidity and even my enthusiasm takes a beating.

Nice that you mitered the corners ...several are hidden deeply but you know that's it's there and that's really all that matters. My son sent me a few pictures of the dashboard thermometer of his car in Nevada at noon Nevada time
image.jpg

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 16th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Ouch! That's a good place to be from, FAR FROM!

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » August 16th, 2015, 8:24 pm

I'll bet it feels pretty close to that in your neck o the woods, RC. Although 109 at noon?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Richb

Post by Richb » August 16th, 2015, 9:50 pm

We only hit 108 today. Plus as they say it was a "dry heat". But that was enough for me to hide out inside. I've been watching all the other builds as they are posted. Looks like this is a very popular size. I can't wait to see how they all turn out.
In the mean time my insulation should arrive this week, and I should be welding up the frame next weekend. I'll post more as I progress.

Richb

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 17th, 2015, 5:46 am

:LG:

It does seem like it but not that high really.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Richb

Post by Richb » October 11th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Well I haven't been real good about taking pictures along the way but here are a couple more. I had the bottom all in and then I saw Cal Smokes removable drip pan. So I cut mine out and made a new one. I really liked the idea of removing it to clean it, when it needed a major cleaning. Plus I still need the welding practice before I weld the exterior. So far most of the welds will be hidden in the walls.
Attachments
image.jpg
Drip pan
image.jpg
Pan in cabinet.

Richb

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 12th, 2015, 6:27 am

Nice

Making memories.

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » October 13th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 13th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Caught a glimpse of that frame...nice job. The removable drip pan is going to be a retro fit on my big gf and standard on my mini...love that idea

Richb

Post by Richb » October 24th, 2015, 10:04 pm

More progress pictures
image.jpeg
Chimney assembly.
image.jpeg
Chimney in place
image.jpeg
Another view
I was hoping to learn How to make nice looking welds by the end of this project. And there has been some improvement. But I am starting to think that I will still need more practice even when this is done. I'm finding that I need more patience when welding. I try to hurry too much. Practice, practice, practice.

Richb

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 25th, 2015, 4:52 am

Coming along nicely.

Making memories.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 25th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 25th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Not being a welder I too had visions of creating beautiful rhythmic swirls of welded material line after line. After 5 smokers, a log splitter and a few assorted house projects I'm only a bit closer to the solid cosmetic weld. At least I know there strong enough. Trailer did about116 miles and nothing fell off or broke. ;)n

Richb

Post by Richb » November 8th, 2015, 9:02 am

Some more progress pictures.

image.jpeg
Chimney assembly installed.
image.jpeg
Another view.
image.jpeg
Racks in place.

Richb

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 8th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Very nice!

Making memories.

Richb

Post by Richb » November 8th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Got a little more done today.
image.jpeg
Installed additional insulation around the fire chamber as well.
image.jpeg
I'll see how much I can get done next weekend.
Does anyone else find that their day job just seems to get in the way of finishing your build?

Richb

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 9th, 2015, 6:35 am

I know what you mean about the job getting in the way. I do my smoker building at work and my job still gets in the way. Lol

Making memories.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » November 9th, 2015, 8:48 am

very nice job on the build!!!!!
you are right! the day Job(s) always get in the way!!! I been working on this one for quite a while now. I have too many day jobs.....
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4361

Richb

Post by Richb » November 15th, 2015, 8:36 pm

Well I'm stalled out until my order for more insulation arrives. Here is what I have done so far.
image.jpeg
I have the top, back, and left sides tacked on.
image.jpeg
Still Need to tack the front on. Also need to finish insulating around the exterior walls of the chimney space.
Please ignore the galinized pipe for the intake. It is just there for mock up until I pick up the black pipe tomorrow.
I Still have a ton of finish welding for all the panel edges, and corners. In the mean time I am moving on to the door frames.

Richb

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 15th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Yep! Work is in the way Every freakin day ... Very nice job by the way is that front skin 16 ga or heavier? Just wondering

Richb

Post by Richb » November 15th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Puff, yes it is 16 gauge. That's what the plans said to use, so that's what I used. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. And my welding is improving.

I've always had a buddy, or relative that could weld something up for me, so I never needed learn how. So a friend has been showing how. He has been a great help. This project was perfect to learn on too. All of the earliest welds at the beginning will be hidden within the walls of the smoker never to be seen again. My friend just made sure they had enough penetration and strength not to come apart.

I can't wait to start using this smoker. My family and friends keep asking when they can come over for a BBQ. Has anyone finished building one of these Mini GFs. If so how have they cooked? Do they hold temp well? How long does it burn on a full chimney? I know, So many questions.

Richb

Return to “Smoker Clones”