Build thread, mini gravity fed smoker.

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Build thread, mini gravity fed smoker.

Post by Rodcrafter » November 10th, 2015, 8:53 am

:LG:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 10th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Would the ZINC in the paint have any effect like the zinc of a galvanized piece of metal when cooking?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pitstopon66bbq

Post by Pitstopon66bbq » November 10th, 2015, 9:32 pm

The zinc is only in the primer and then 2 coats of paint on top of that. This will only be used on the frame, none of the cook chamber will be sprayed.

scottyk
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by scottyk » November 11th, 2015, 3:04 pm

Yes I want to make sure that is clear, NON of the cook chamber or firebox has any paint in it. It is external of the cook chamber/firebox and internal to the outter skin. Im really not too worried about the paint "curing" or not just because these surfaces will see no wear and will never be seen again.

I also found that using a powerful light and shutting off the garage light allowed us to visually check for holes which would lead to leaks. If you have not pressure checked welds in the past you might be surprised how many you will find "for a amateurish welder anyway" and I found a few spots on these smokers that needed to be sealed up prior to sealing them up. So I would highly recommend doing this. although I would imagine the thick blackness that builds up over time would have no problem sealing up small holes anyway.

Im not trying to tell anyone how they should build theirs, or making instructions necessarily. Just trying to share my build experiences and hopefully helping others from making the same mistakes we did.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 11th, 2015, 8:48 pm

I used the light test when I did my big GF and it works to reveal any holes that could be in the seams. My exterior paint has held up very well on my skins and while the surface around the ash cleanout might get over 200 degrees, it has not yellowed or darkened... All it is , hardware store enamel

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

scottyk

Post by scottyk » November 23rd, 2015, 10:58 am

Have some small updates to share, work has slowed a little on the smokers. Family life is getting busy lately! but they should be completed this year with a little bit of luck. Riveting the panels on is proving to be more work than anticipated, we are drilling and countersinking each hole, then removing the panels to sand down burrs and stuff so the panels sit flat, also painting the interior of all panels. Being in iowa we have officially hit winter time so any outdoor painting is out of the question so we will probably be forced into building some sort of paint booth in the garage for the final 10% of body work and paint.

Door getting finished up, welded on a 1/2 npt bung to attach fancy thermometers. I think completed this thing must be near 30lbs.
Fitting some insulation
Insulation hold down made from some scrap pieces
Starting to drill front panel for rivets!

scottyk

Post by scottyk » November 23rd, 2015, 11:00 am

And yes the insulation is a little overkill around the charcoal chute, but on another note we ordered the roxul thru Zoro, and the prices are great and shipping is super fast. So we ended up buying extra "I will update with the Qty later" so figured might as well start insulating everything!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 23rd, 2015, 10:12 pm

Nice work

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 23rd, 2015, 10:50 pm

Scottyk,

Are these 2x4 sheets of Roxul RHT 80? How thick and do you get them 6 to a box? And finally, if you don't mind, about how much each. I ask because I'm looking to see if the place I get them is reasonable. Delivered... 1 box of 6, 2" thick is around 60.00. The shipping kills the deal at $36.00 more

scottyk

Post by scottyk » November 28th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Puff wrote:Scottyk,

Are these 2x4 sheets of Roxul RHT 80? How thick and do you get them 6 to a box? And finally, if you don't mind, about how much each. I ask because I'm looking to see if the place I get them is reasonable. Delivered... 1 box of 6, 2" thick is around 60.00. The shipping kills the deal at $36.00 more
Hey Puff, I cannot say for sure on the specs right now, my partner in this project was in charge of the insulation and I know he ordered it from Zoro, I did a quick search and here is some results. http://www.zoro.com/search?q=roxul I know this place is WAYY cheaper than any other place we have found, free shipping. I think we paid more for the rivets than the insulation to be honest. I am currently in the hospital with our first born, born on the 24th, natural, 9lb 3oz big boy!! hoping to bring him home soon. Poor little guy developed a minor infection so we are staying a few extra days to give him antibiotics and make sure we are good to go. Like I said family life is getting busy lately and I was hoping to finish the smokers before he came but man there was way more work than I was expecting and we fell short by a few days of the goal, no biggie.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » November 28th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Congratulations scottyk! Hope the family is doing well. :beer:

Richb

Post by Richb » November 28th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Congratulations!!!! :ymparty:

Richb

Current smokers, Mini Gravity Feed Smoker (just finished building), Cookshack electric smoker, And a Charbroil Offset Smoker.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 28th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Well congratulations! Great to hear I told my wife a few weeks ago how much I did not know with our kids and how much I have learned with the new grandson.

Free shipping takes your price a long way in cost. Mine was $64.00 a box of 6 sheets 2'x4' x2" thick. The killer was the $36.00 shipping from Indiana. I'm guessing you are using the 1 1/2" ?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 28th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Congratulations!

Making memories.

pawatch
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by pawatch » November 29th, 2015, 10:03 am

Congrats on the new son!
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 29th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Congrats!! :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

scottyk

Post by scottyk » November 30th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Thanks everyone for the congrats it is appreciated, even if it is from people I haven't met it still shows people care! We just got back today from a long week in the hospital, everything is all good! Baby and mommy are doing awesome, I think we're all a little tired but still very grateful everything turned out ok. Little guy had an infection so they had to give him antibiotics twice a day thru a IV for 5 days, but nobody including himself could tell he was even sick.

Anyway back to the smoker projects! We did order the 1.5" insulation and turns out this stuff is very easy to cut and fits very very well within the tubing so that made it nice and easy to put in. Looks like there is enough left over to double insulate the area around the firebox to help protect the paint by the ashpit.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 30th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Cool, every thing seems to be as it should. That's a praise!

Making memories.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » November 30th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Looking great!!! Congrats on the new member to the family!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottyk

Post by scottyk » December 8th, 2015, 2:09 pm

Little bit more progress this last week, thanks again everyone for the congrats its awesome for everyone to chime in like that, feels great! but anyway on to the smokers, got the rest of the insulation stuffed inside around the firebox area and used some more random scraps I had laying around to hold all that in place. After that I riveted the last of the body panels on and now they are starting to really look like something! Got all the doors and hinges mounted, and I have to say I was nervous about holding the hinges in just the right spot and making sure they are lined up perfectly, but they were easy to weld and didnt bind at all, these bullet hinges work great and feel amazingly smooth. Combine those with the fancy Kason latchs and this big door really has a great quality feel to it and makes the best sound when shut. I cant wait to get them painted and get the gaskets installed so I can really see how the doors will shut. The handles I installed are from a Kitchen Aid refrigerator and we have a smaller handle that will be installed on the ash door and maybe the charcoal door as well.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 8th, 2015, 2:28 pm

:LG: :LG: :LG:

Richb

Post by Richb » December 8th, 2015, 4:03 pm

That looks awesome!!! Very nice job!!!

I have to agree on the sound of when they close. I did not expect it to sound this good. I've owned and driven cars with doors that didn't sound this good. I'm am definitely impressed with the design work of these smokers.

Richb

Current smokers, Mini Gravity Feed Smoker (just finished building), Cookshack electric smoker, And a Charbroil Offset Smoker.

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » December 8th, 2015, 4:29 pm

I've been enjoying this thread, especially since I've pretty much decided a mini is in my future. Great craftsmanship and well documented. Thanks for sharing ScottyK!

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 8th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Sweet!! :kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

scottyk

Post by scottyk » December 21st, 2015, 9:57 am

Found some time to get a little bit of body work in the shop over the last week here. After a good sanding of the panels I filled in all the rivets and corners with body filler, and yes there was many moments I was wondering if all this body work was going to be a waste of time for a smoker but the end results are well worth it! With visions of using nice automotive paint and clear might as well get the whole thing looking good! Used some good seam sealer around the base of the door curbs, filler on all the edges and rivets. Then went over the whole thing with self etching primer. Self etching primer is not a filler primer so it lays down very flat and thin, not requiring sanding between primer and paint so that was nice. The paint is a 2015 Mustang color called magnetic metallic and is really cool, tons of metallic and it seems to shift from light to dark, very good look!

Matts plan for this smoker is to use a magnetic mount BBQ Guru to control it and we will be making a rain cap and a sealed cap to cover the chimney so it will be a all weather smoker.

My smoker will be starting body work this week, so more updates on the 2nd smoker to come!

Merry Christmas everyone! Just ignore our ugly faces here, I thought the picture was too cool with the Mustang poster and Not made in China shirt, had to share. We're off to season the new smoker and cook up some delicious BBQ!