Gravity Feed.... Test results and temperatures

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Gravity Feed.... Test results and temperatures

Post by Puff » November 2nd, 2014, 4:02 pm

Let me begin by acknowledging the great work and guidance by so many of the regulars here and the creativity and experimentation of those who do so much more than just build a smoker. I hope you know who you are !

That being said, bear in mind ...my limited experience with cooking and operating a smoker. Also bear in mind I read constantly about what they are supposed to do in ideal situations and the results they are supposed to achieve.

PLEASE DONT THINK I AM BEING A POMPOUS JERK....I am really humbled by the success I have had with Franks plans. I almost feel I can even exceed a few of the pros I watch and admire on the tv shows. Or at least, let them use my smoker..( ok, stop laughing...I'm only trying to say the things have gone ridiculously well so far).Any way, the short of it all is that I believe my original trailer mounted tank smoker is the absolute best in temperature control, fuel consumption and quality food output. It follows all the rules to a "T" from everything I have learned and read. IT IS GREAT EQUIPMENT. So,

The weather today was very windy with gusts around 45 mph. Temp was 39 when I lit the match on the chimney. I filled the chute with about 3 chimneys of lump charcoal at 10am, one was lit the other two just as a scoop. It took about 7-8 minutes to see the first puffs of smoke to pass through the stack. I'd almost thought the fire had gone out so I took my MAPP gas touch and supplemented the flame. Temperatures only started to climb inside the box after about 10 minutes and hit 70 around 10:39am.

I cracked open the cleanup door about 1/2" to get more air to the coals. It was when the maverick thermometer started beeping that I realized I had forgotten to close the door and the internal box temp was around 360.this took over 45 minutes from start time.

Since I had no ball valve yet, I closed the 2" opening by sliding a splitting wedge inside the 2" hole to block air flow. After getting the temp inside the box to smoking temps I spent a bit more time measuring skin temperatures.

The smoker skins were only 53 degrees everywhere except the top 3-5 inches above the clean out door. They peaked at about 200 but 3 inches above the seal, temperatures dropped about 35 degrees and 6 inches above the seal dropped another 40 degrees to about 130. The condensation on the top inside of the fuel loading door puzzled me as it was excessive. It could be from the rain yesterday as it was left outside UN covered.

As of now the smoker is still at 244 degrees, the chute was filled only 1/3 of the way up and we are within 2 minutes of 6 hours since startup. If my tank is great equipment, this is perfect !!!

I am so extremely pleased with the way it is performing. The temperature is so much more stable in that large swings of heat do not occur unless you open the door. At that point I would lose 15-20 degrees in 4-6 seconds but it recovers well. I don't think the temperature dropped from 244 by more than 3-4 degrees the entire 5 hours of operation. There is a very very light trace of ash inside the floor under the transfer tube.
image.jpg
Door cracked open
image.jpg
Fuel door opened after about 30 minutes
image.jpg
Oak chunks in the ash clean out
image.jpg
Temp control

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Puff
Expert
Expert

Re: Gravity Feed.... Test results and temperatures

Post by Puff » November 2nd, 2014, 4:06 pm

image.jpg
Internal cabinet temp
image.jpg
Skin temperature after 3 hours
image.jpg
Just above the clean out just at the 1/2" place of the fire box

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 2nd, 2014, 4:08 pm

image.jpg
Just 3" to thee right of the clean out door hinge

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 2nd, 2014, 4:20 pm

The entire cabinet on 3 sides did not reach 60 degrees. Only the right side where the firebox resides warmed up a bit. However hardly reaching 200 directly opposite the 1/2" thick firebox amazed me.

Very very happy with this one.

Reminds me of my first exposure to a craps table. I watch my brother play the numbers, pass line, come line. I still know nothing of it but... He was winning every roll. I accidently said. ". S#|t, you just can't lose at this game".
My two smokers have treated me to that same experience. Only, I hope I don't reach the point of that major epic failure .

Mmmmm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Mmmmm » November 2nd, 2014, 4:35 pm

Looks good. I'd like to see one of these charcoal chutes in person or at least a good video. I still can visualize how they are designed and work. What is the advantage of gravity feed over just a standard cabinet like a Pitmaker?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » November 2nd, 2014, 5:26 pm

I knew it was going to be freaking awesome. When I get done with the one I'm working on that will be next. Good job Puff!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 2nd, 2014, 5:45 pm

Thank you guys. RC, with your skills, yours will be awesome. I'm not happy with those corners. I'm looking for a way to conceal them behind some kind of trim. I don't really care for the aluminum angle I'd fit prior to paint but I'm thinking of getting a aluminum tread plate angle and using it. When I get the plans for the baby sized unit Frank is working on, I will find a way to build a brake. Saw many on YouTube but the best one I've seen is right here on the forum.

No plans though and I really need that sort of guidance. Just pulled out the splitting wedge and placed in a small chunk of metal so it gets a bit more air flow and the temp went up 39 degrees. It's 5:44 eastern time and it STILL BURNING. I did not use more than 12-14" of fuel. It running 7 hours at this point

Mmmmm, I think a Pitmaster is like a backwoods type. The biggest difference I know of is NOT laying out $3500.00 or more. :-bd

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » November 2nd, 2014, 5:56 pm

Awesome! Gotta love this addiction!

I wouldn't worry about the corners. I can't see em from my house. :D

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 2nd, 2014, 6:12 pm

Yep! I'm addicted. What's crazier, I ain't eatin' nothing...I'm just burning wood and charcoal and watching the thermometer...

It's 6:12pm and it's still running 241 degrees. Cool at night all you can see is the Orange glow from the 2" nipple
image.jpg

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 2nd, 2014, 9:00 pm

Sweet

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 2nd, 2014, 9:50 pm

I can see that with a controller blowing air in at the right times might keep this smoker as stable as an electric household oven. Frankly, closing the air intake with a hunk of scrap seems almost as good. For anyone counting, it is 9:40pm and the cool down started about 7:55pm. It is currently cooling at 187. That makes it 10 hours and 15 minutes running at temperature on barely 1/3 of a full chute of lump and wood chunk. Never fed it any thing, I just went in the house watched a bit of TV with the remote thermometer on the table next to me.

To the seasoned pros this may seem like an every day thing but these are all firsts for me and are a milestone and a highlight that I just can't stop thinking how cool it is.

I'm off again Wednesday, I may just get up early and run a full chute of charcoal for giggles :BDHorse:

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » November 2nd, 2014, 10:03 pm

Awesome! Reports I've heard from others who have built this pit using our plans is a 35 hour burn time on a full chute at 250*F

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 2nd, 2014, 10:34 pm

Oh wow! I can't stay awake that long....but you can bet, I will try that full chute to see what actually happens.

That is exciting news. Again , thanks for the help....

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 2nd, 2014, 10:51 pm

Awesome job Puff !! It's a great feeling when you build something from a pile of metal and it performs like a dream.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 2nd, 2014, 11:19 pm

So true Big T. I thought the oil tank was the cats meow but with this you don't need to keep loading the FB, I could not believe that by 8:00 it was still going strong. It's 11:14 pm right now and I just went out to check for firebox embers. Got plenty and the inside temp is still 166. That insulation has really performed. Something I have enought to do the baby sized smoker with.

My wife cleaned the house oven yesterday and it was super hot...yet the outer skin of that oven was only warm to the touch. The skins all over except those in direct line with the FB was in the low 50' s. Even when the box was up near 375

Great stuff and thanks for the support...long term !!

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 3rd, 2014, 7:09 am

Nothing like actually getting some sleep on a long overnight cook! :beer:

Great build!!!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » November 3rd, 2014, 9:39 am

Congratulations on an awesome build, you have a right to be proud of it.

From infinity and beyond

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 3rd, 2014, 10:03 am

It will be so cool to put some briskets in there around 9:00 pm and serve them up for lunch and get a full nights sleep too.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » November 3rd, 2014, 1:21 pm

CONGRATS Puff! :kewl: :kewl: :kewl:

:D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 3rd, 2014, 3:51 pm

Thanks again guys, your comments are very gratifying. Today I took off the hardware again and cleaned out the ashes ( about 4 cups) made a few welds where I changed things on the stack cap and filled in two tiny holes where the top door latch had mis-aligned, sanded and primed.

Wednesday is going to be in the high 60s so the second coat of red gets done. I just don't see too many days left in the near 70 category.

I was thinking that I should drill and weld in a pass thru for temp probes. Maybe like a 1/2" pipe nipple that can ba capped when not used. Last night they were run down the stack and I placed the sending unit on top of the cooker. It was not even 70 degrees on the skin

Here is a question: I had mentioned that the underside of the fuel loading door was actually dripping at times with condensation. Today when the cover was opened, the material on the underside had dried AS IF...it was a layer of dried varnish. When I scraped it off, it was nice smelling, like that of the smoke flavor. Did not smell like creosote but what do I know. I'd burned a mix of 60% lump charcoal and 40 % oak chunk. Had an almost clear look but slightly yellow like old varnish
image.jpg

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 3rd, 2014, 5:49 pm

You should pm AlleyRat and ask him about it

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » November 4th, 2014, 7:43 am

Puff I call that "smoke water" Harmless but annoying if it gets on the paint job. Just wipe it up and make sure the location it's dripping on is well sealed to prevent rust….. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 4th, 2014, 7:57 am

Thanks Gizmo,

So since you have seen it, it's not an oddity here. It is very hard. It's like 50 year old paint drips. Fortunately the mating surfaces are beautifully square and the gasket seals it out

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 4th, 2014, 7:43 pm

Sanded down the first coat of paint and got it ready for the second. 68 degrees, no wind, perfect for out door spraying. Not a bug in the air until I started spraying...are they attracted to paint vapor?

Geez
image.jpg
image.jpg

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert

Post by DUAYNE B » November 4th, 2014, 8:43 pm

:beer: :beer: :beer: very nice Puff, I like the temp control alot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,? ? For seasoned users, how does the flavor compare to that of a reverse flow ?, I have had a bit of others bbq the last few years and find it doesnt even compare to what my reverseflow makes... just curious.... nice job again Puff

Return to “Smoker Clones”