22 x 18 single pan gravity feed material list?

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
scottyk
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

22 x 18 single pan gravity feed material list?

Post by scottyk » September 25th, 2015, 9:14 am

Hi everyone, Im new on this forum but have been scouring this section for the last week trying to find information on building a stumps clone single pan mini smoker. I am planning on building it from plans purchased from smokerplans.net but before I spend the money on the plans I want to see the type of budget I am looking at here.

I have noticed a couple material lists in threads on here but they are not consistent when it comes to the thicker plate for charcoal chute and firebox. So I was hoping someone could fill me in on the plate requirements, I've seen 4x8 sheet of 1/4" plate and I've seen 10" wide by 20' or even 10" wide by 10' could be substituted. There could be a large difference in price here. and is there a requirement for 1/2" plate for this smoker?

Thanks everyone, Scott

CaliforniaSmoke
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Re: 22 x 18 single pan gravity feed material list?

Post by CaliforniaSmoke » September 25th, 2015, 9:51 am

Yes, you need 1/4 and 1/2" plate. Not much 1/2".

I had 1/2 x 6" CR flat bar in the shop already. You need 2 @ 5" x 6", 1 @ 5" x 9" and 1 @ 2.5" x 9" -- roughly 1 square foot of material I think.

You need more 1/4" plate, about 6 or 7 square feet (not allowing for cutting/waste). You certainly don't need a full 4 x 8 sheet. I bought a 10" wide x 20' long (cut in half for handling) piece of flat bar. That was convenient to work with as none of the pieces are more than 9.25" wide. I plasma cut lengths off of the flat bar, then laid out accurate cut lines and sliced it up on a bandsaw.

Somewhere I posted my shopping list that I used to price out metal.

======
My Blog on stuff I make: http://www.mcglynnonmaking.com