Vertical smoker plans

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
babyshaq270
beginner
beginner

Vertical smoker plans

Post by babyshaq270 » February 15th, 2017, 11:58 am

To my meat heads Iam thinking of building a vertical smoker but Iam not sure where to start . I looking for some help is there anywhere I could get some plans , diagrams , measurements etc looking forward to the replies. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Vertical smoker plans

Post by Squiggle » February 15th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Smokerplans.net is where most of us have got our plans for almost any unit, not sure if there's a vertical other than the insulated gravity feed cabinets(awesome units by the way). They are all done by Frank & the crew at Smoker Builder HQ & they're all very successful setups. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » February 15th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Yeah what he said!

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Doc's Kick Butt BBQ, Not competing yet...

Post by KarateDoc » February 16th, 2017, 9:45 am

How much do you plan to cook? Do you plan on cooking for a few or for an army? Portable or permanent?

Looks at a piece of meat and wonders how many ways can I smoke that.

Here is my build of the Stump's Clone viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5280

babyshaq270
beginner
beginner

Re: RE: Re: Vertical smoker plans

Post by babyshaq270 » February 16th, 2017, 1:28 pm

KarateDoc wrote:How much do you plan to cook? Do you plan on cooking for a few or for an army? Portable or permanent?
Portable and around 40 people at a time ...

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » February 16th, 2017, 3:36 pm

The mini GF would be pushing it to do 40 people, but the Double Pan is pretty heavy to be moving around regularly, even though it's on wheels.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » February 16th, 2017, 6:29 pm

And there is a model between the mini and the double pan as well. So you are spoiled for choice in the GF range.
The Mini Single Pan x 22" by 18" racks.
Gravity Feed Cabinet Style Smoker 24 x 26” racks
Double Pan Smoker Standard Doors 28x25 Racks

And what Squiggle said.. the double pan is a beast to move around... it's very heavy.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter

Vertical smoker plans

Post by Rodcrafter » February 16th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Another thing to consider when saying you intend to feed 40. What are you going to feed them? I mean you know a Boston butt uses 1 square foot of cooking rack and will feed 25 people unless of course it's "the best pulled pork samich ever". But ribs could take 1/2 rack to a full rack per person. So having said all that with the idea of using only 1 smoker to cook for 40 in all sorts of categories, I would say to stay in the context of vertical and portable. I would choose a double pan GF and build it on a trailer. The height will be nice and on those type wheels it can be moved easily by hand and towing. I would add racks to cook chicken and ribs

jm2cw

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » February 17th, 2017, 12:15 am

:yth: very good point RC. :kewl:

MattJ
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by MattJ » February 17th, 2017, 9:03 pm

I built a vertical cabinet that is not insulated that works pretty good so far but I live in the South. It is similar to some pictures I saw of lonestar and boathouse smokers verticals. You could also probably put one together similar to it pretty easy.

These guys give great advice and you won't go wrong building what they recommend. The thing is if you go the same route as I did you run the risk of it not meeting your needs and having to build a second... but who here has built only one anyway...

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » February 17th, 2017, 11:56 pm

I think RC is spot on with mounting it on a trailer. That way it is towable and relatively easy to move around.

Having said the DP is a beast to move. I'm a 66 year old middling fit old feller and I can move it around OK. I think more than a couple of K and I'd be shagged though =))

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

babyshaq270
beginner
beginner

Re: RE: Re: Vertical smoker plans

Post by babyshaq270 » February 18th, 2017, 8:04 am

MattJ wrote:I built a vertical cabinet that is not insulated that works pretty good so far but I live in the South. It is similar to some pictures I saw of lonestar and boathouse smokers verticals. You could also probably put one together similar to it pretty easy.

These guys give great advice and you won't go wrong building what they recommend. The thing is if you go the same route as I did you run the risk of it not meeting your needs and having to build a second... but who here has built only one anyway...
Well I plan to go hard one time insulating it etc just thinking about sizes and amounts of material now .

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Doc's Kick Butt BBQ, Not competing yet...

Post by KarateDoc » February 18th, 2017, 9:14 am

I altered the set of plans of the middle one and I can fit two catering pans on a shelf. I have 4 shelves on mine but have 7 racks set up and will eventually build 3 more racks for when I do chicken.

Looks at a piece of meat and wonders how many ways can I smoke that.

Here is my build of the Stump's Clone viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5280