Build Question

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
mrshaund
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Captn Flaskies BBQ

Build Question

Post by mrshaund » May 8th, 2017, 3:39 pm

My buddy has let me use his shop which happens to have a 52 inch bender and had an idea which i thought I seen here before but cant find now. He is thinking of bending the inner and outer shell then building frame around it. Is there any concern with this?

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Build Question

Post by Weldun » May 8th, 2017, 4:47 pm

I suppose it would save you welding a few seams, I guess part of my decision would hinge on how good am I at layout and braking my pieces, over bent and under bent pieces create issues of a different sort. I have access to a 10' press brake and opted not to go that route, the juice just didn't seem worth the squeeze for no more than I was going to gain and besides I enjoy welding. I think you could go either way and be successful after all personal preference is what makes building these things fun.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » May 8th, 2017, 7:10 pm

:yth: I like welding too & bending those pieces would only save four seams. But, in saying that, there have been many people who have bent their inner & outer walls with great success. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

mrshaund
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Captn Flaskies BBQ

Post by mrshaund » May 8th, 2017, 7:40 pm

The reason we came up with this is i only have an angle grinder and was paying for the sheet to be cut he is comfortable doing the bending so saving on outsourced laber.

This job though has me seriously considering having 220 installed in my garage this summer though lol

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Post by Weldun » May 8th, 2017, 8:06 pm

mrshaund wrote:The reason we came up with this is i only have an angle grinder and was paying for the sheet to be cut he is comfortable doing the bending so saving on outsourced laber.

This job though has me seriously considering having 220 installed in my garage this summer though lol
I cut all my sheet with an angle grinder/slitter blade , the sheet is thin enough it's really not that bad. Another benefit of cutting the panels as you need them is you can tweak their dimensions as needed since things have a way of not quite going as planned sometimes.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Michael303
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by Michael303 » May 8th, 2017, 10:33 pm

For me, welding and grinding all the seams of the sheet was the biggest time consumption. If I had access to someone with the talent to brake all the cook chamber pieces and outside skin so I could assemble most of it with self tapping screws I would give it a try myself.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 9th, 2017, 6:17 am

I would build the frame then skin in and out

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........