SS Masterbuilt conversion

Modifications to any Smoker you can purchase. examples- Brinkman, Weber, etc.
Mr. Bo
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

SS Masterbuilt conversion

Post by Mr. Bo » August 2nd, 2015, 11:54 pm

I think this is my first post since I became a member and introduced myself. Time flys as you're getting older...

Anyway, couple of years ago I bought this stainless steel Masterbuilt gasser that had been converted to a gravity fed pellet cooker. Sounds great right? After several attempts I determined that it was impossible to control the heat on the pellet pooper even with a Party Que digital controller so I just let it sit for a while.

So I'm thinking I love my UDS and why can't I make the MB into a square UDS. The firebox will go into the bottom area where the propane bottle was and I'll use black pipe with a ball valve to control the air flow.

Yesterday I took the pellet contraption off and partially dis-assembled the smoker so I could repair the holes in the inner and outer skins.

More to come as this progresses and I'm always open to suggestions and input on better ways to do this.

Rodcrafter

Re: SS Masterbuilt conversion

Post by Rodcrafter » August 3rd, 2015, 5:37 am

:points:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Mr. Bo
beginner
beginner

Post by Mr. Bo » August 9th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Last weekend I took the smoker apart to get the sides off so I could patch the holes. Got things welded back up and put the upper part back together this weekend. This is inside where the rectangular hole was in the earlier post only on its side. Some stove caulking and high temp bbq paint cover things up.

The outside isn't so pretty right now and is also on its side, but I'll clean that up later. There will be a stainless steel shelf that I'm working on mounted above the patch to help cover the ugly. Most of the discolorization in the stainless steel is from the intense heat from several attempts at controlling the gravity feed's heat.

This is the bottom portion where the propane bottle used to reside, but the firebox will soon be. The black looking outer piece used to fully cover this area and bolted to the top section and the bottom section. I cut this 1/2" wider than where it all bolts up. My firebox will have a 1/2" flange on all four sides so it will sit right down in this cavity and rest on it. The top of the firebox will be open to the cooking chamber above.

I've been concerned about the size of the firebox but now I think it will all be fine. I'm basically building a square UDS with doors for the smoke chamber and the firebox instead of a lid on top. The top section (cooking chamber) is 21 1/4" wide x 20 1/4" deep and 28" tall. The firebox that will be in the bottom section will be 18 1/2" wide x 16 1/2" deep x 16 1/2" tall.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » August 10th, 2015, 9:00 am

Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN