Steel stock rack

No Politics, No Religion... Smoking Allowed 8-)
Forum rules
No Politics, No Religion, Smoking is Allowed 8-)
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Steel stock rack

Post by Dirtytires » January 14th, 2020, 12:52 am

So, I’ve got a problem. I spent some time this weekend and have come across a problem. I have small piles of steel literally piled all over my shop and it’s just plain in the way of everything. I quit counting at 50 sections. Most of my stock is small flats, angles and square tubing and not much over 2”. Obviously some rounds, solid bar stock and miscellaneous pieces as well but it’s all in 10 foot lengths.

It is a fairly small shop so I can’t justify a whole wall for a horizontal rack. However, the shop has 10 foot ceilings so I was thinking a vertical rack would be perfect. Roughly thinking about 3’ wide and 2’ deep at the base and then tapered back to the wall at the top. Should give me enough space to put some sheet/plate goods behind and a few small shelves in the back portion for cut-offs and odd-balls.

Anybody have any experience with one of these? Is a 2 foot lean-back enough? Any recommendations on sizes or features I may want to add? Better yet, anybody have one and be willing to send me a few pictures and dimensions? Safety is important due to the weight of everything so I’d like to do this right the first time.

Thanks in advance.....

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Steel stock rack

Post by JKalchik » January 14th, 2020, 11:09 am

That sounds a lot like the pipe rack in my local Ace hardware.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » January 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm

I think you have the right idea. I'd make something to secure it to the wall though. I also wouldn't go any taller than 6' simply because the higher it is the harder it is to get materials down.
And to keep it low enough to be completely usable I'd think about making 2 racks.

Claud

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » January 14th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Or you could go high-tech and have a revolving steel rack going up one wall. Two garage door openers, one each end. When you want something rotate it until you get to the pieces you want... Might take a bit of thunk as to how to keep the stuff going over the top from falling out, but I'm sure you're up to it...
OK, I'll leave now... :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » January 14th, 2020, 11:24 pm

=)) I’m thinking all that wild-fire smoke has clouded your judgment, Ajfoxy.

You have blown both the project AND my fabrication skills way out of proportion.

=)) =)) =))

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » January 15th, 2020, 10:55 am

Dirtytires wrote:=)) I’m thinking all that wild-fire smoke has clouded your judgment, Ajfoxy.

You have blown both the project AND my fabrication skills way out of proportion.

=)) =)) =))
I agree

Claud

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » January 19th, 2020, 6:32 pm

And just in case you are still stuck for ideas, here's a solution... sort of.
Attachments
storage rack.jpg

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » January 20th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Thanks...that is the general idea I’m going for. I’m looking for a pretty small footprint and think the 10 foot sections will be a bit unsafe on a movable cart so have already ruled that out. Too bad cause I really like the idea of it being mobile.

Thanks for thinking of me.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » January 20th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Bungee straps across the stock........

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » January 21st, 2020, 11:19 pm

Definitely a strap. Was thinking of a cable/clip system so I can open up a few ‘bays’ and leave the rest strapped in. I figure it will stay vertical as long as a whole lotta mass doesn’t decide to shift all at the same time.

I started to draw it up last night and the sad thing is that I will have to go buy more steel cause I can’t find, get to, or figure out what I have in stock. Guess I waited a bit too long for this project......

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » January 22nd, 2020, 4:20 pm

Bugger... catch 22. Can't build a rack to hold all the remnant steel because you can't get to all the remnant steel to assess what you have... =))

However DT, look on the bright side. Once you have built your remnant storage rack you will always be able to see at a glance (mostly) what you have.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » January 22nd, 2020, 8:14 pm

Dirtytires wrote:Thanks...that is the general idea I’m going for. I’m looking for a pretty small footprint and think the 10 foot sections will be a bit unsafe on a movable cart so have already ruled that out. Too bad cause I really like the idea of it being mobile.

Thanks for thinking of me.
Put a Ratchet stap around the metalto keep it from tipping over.

Claud

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » January 23rd, 2020, 12:04 am

I'd just put chain between the cross pieces with a hook on each cross piece. Open up each individually or all at the same time. Two chains across each side should be enough to stop anything from wanting to tip out.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » January 23rd, 2020, 10:33 am

All good ideas.....thanks guys.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 1st, 2020, 6:05 pm

Finally decided it was time to knock out this project. I have piles of steel all over the shop and back patio and frankly, no idea what I have because I can’t see or get to half of it.

Started out with a steel rack with a 10 degree rake on it. I’ve got room for 10’ sticks in the front and a slot in the back for a 4x10 sheet. Divided it into sections about 6 inch wide and it will hold 6 inch deep. Couple coats of paint to keep it from rusting. Kinda fun on the fabrication part as I actually got my son to come out for a while. He did some cuts on the bandsaw and is now old enough for the grinder. Crazy kid actually liked the grinder so I happily let him smooth out my welds.
8DC6FA5D-A867-4282-87F8-80E58A7BA174.jpeg
Added some shelves with some particle board I had laying around. Put on short sides to keep all my small pieces and cut-off from falling off. All in all it turned out to be quite a bit of shelf space.
8EBA9750-928E-4CF2-B947-C6C4D470728F.jpeg
Finally got everything rounded up, sorted and put on the rack. I knew their was stuff tucked away but I was surprised to find over 1000 linear feet of various sizes. Will be nice to be able to use it now and not keep running to the steel yard every time I start a project. Just don’t tell my wife I have a stockpile or she will cut out my “project” allowance!! Didn’t load in the sheet yet as I have some full sheets (of 0.125 and 0.5) that are just too dangerous/heavy for 1 person to move so gonna have to wait for some help.
13E1A020-2D1A-4D5A-8354-9AB89537E4C1.jpeg

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 1st, 2020, 9:44 pm

It's amazing what you find whenever you organize everything. It looks great!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 2nd, 2020, 1:02 am

Very nice......my metal pile resembles a nuclear blast site.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » July 2nd, 2020, 1:59 am

Looking really good DT. Personally I'd stick something along the bottom to stop "other stock" from wanting to slide out when you take the chain off to take out a piece. Now ask me how I know this... :D

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 2nd, 2020, 11:48 am

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Like many people, I buy an extra stick for each project to avoid an extra trip down to the steelyard. Unfortunately, this extra stick just got left wherever I could find a place for it. Having everything in one place and easily accessible will be awesome and free up a ton of floor space.

Best part is now that I found my 1 inch strap I can build another discada. I found a deep disk at a John Deere dealer in Iowa over a year ago that is going to work perfectly for chili if I ever get it done.
ajfoxy wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 1:59 am

Looking really good DT. Personally I'd stick something along the bottom to stop "other stock" from wanting to slide out when you take the chain off to take out a piece. Now ask me how I know this... :D
Hard to see from the pictures but it does have a piece of heavy angle at the bottom to prevent kick out. Also, the chain clips on every other divider so I can just open up one or two at a time. Appreciate the safety concern. I’m trying to get my son out in the shop more but he is not seeing the all the dangers (11 yo boys think they are invincible!) of a working shop environment so I’m doing everything I can to minimize risk at this point.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » July 2nd, 2020, 2:02 pm

very nice!!
I was trippin' over everything til a few weeks ago, \
I have mine under an awning beside my shed..
I need to still take some off of the floor of the shop and take it back there tooo. Some is almost 20' long (on floor in shop) . its like riding a skateboard at times if I step on it wrong!!

I looked at Home depots rack where they sell their angle and rod and stuff, and came up with my version using mostly re-bar and angle iron..
Attachments
MAterial cart.jpg

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 3rd, 2020, 11:19 am

I’ll bet that really works well for your shorter pieces and I like the idea that it is on wheels. Being able to move it around to clean under it or get it closer to your project could really be useful.