Another Disappointing Meal

No Politics, No Religion... Smoking Allowed 8-)
Forum rules
No Politics, No Religion, Smoking is Allowed 8-)
MattS
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: 'bout yerself

Another Disappointing Meal

Post by MattS » July 22nd, 2011, 1:43 pm

The family and I went out to eat last night and I have been craving some BBQ. So we hit up the little joint down the road. I think its a chain so I wasn't expecting Ma & Pa's BBQ. I went ahead and got some pulled pork and like always happens, I thought it sucked. It looked like pulled pork should. It had good color and a nice ring. It just tasted like it was cooked in a crock pot. I know a lot of the chain BBQ joints use a pressure cooker style smoker because its fast. I should have asked how they cook it but I didn't want to get back there and laugh at them. The only thing that saved the meal was there BBQ Sauce. It was really good and I needed a lot of it to cover up that pork. I am a firm believer that quality pulled pork shouldn't need any sauce, but this stuff needed a lot of it.

I should have gotten the brisket, I heard it was really good.

300gal RF w/ Propane Assist Firebox
24" CampChef SmokeVault
UDS

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Re: Another Disappointing Meal

Post by Tom_Heath » July 27th, 2011, 10:55 pm

If I go to a place where I am worried that they par boil, I will always order the ham sandwich. Its tough to mess up ham, put sauce on it and its even harder to mess up.

No offence to the two franks here, but the folks in southern missouri (the restaurant folks that is) really need help in identifying good Q.

I worked down by Springfield a while back and every local I talked to raved how great this one place was.

OK, I went.

First off, you cant have good Q and also good seafood. It just don't happen. They needed to pick one or the other.

It was actually some of the worst BBQ I had ever had. Good thing they sold beer.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

MattS
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: 'bout yerself

Post by MattS » August 23rd, 2011, 10:35 pm

Was out in Ohio over the weekend visiting family. They wanted to take me to this great BBQ joint. I was excited as it was some small town true Q joint, so I thought. I haven't learned my lesson yet so I ordered a pulled pork/brisket dinner. More pot roast BBQ, had to soak the pork in sauce AND coal slaw to eat it and don't get me started on the brisket. I think they took bacon strips, some sauce and stuck it all in a croc pot over night. World Famous BBQ my A%%.

I really have to quit going to Q joints and ordering Q..

300gal RF w/ Propane Assist Firebox
24" CampChef SmokeVault
UDS

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » August 24th, 2011, 5:34 am

Keep it safe man, at least until you know if the foods worth a hoot.

I always order a ham and beef combo when ever I go somewhere new. Its safe.

At worst you can ditch the beef, pretty hard to botch ham. And then if its still a mess you can sauce it and recover. LOL

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck, there really are a few good joints out there.

--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans

sassy's
beginner
beginner
Title: aspiring competitor
BBQ Comp Team Name: Sassy's BBQ

Post by sassy's » October 27th, 2011, 9:54 am

I realize that this topic is relatively old, but I would still like to add some. I work as a cook in a steakhouse. How can you go wrong with steak right? Since I have been working there the food has gotten worse. It can't be the cooking, I am the cook. Because of the evolution of my taste buds nothing that I have ever tasted that doesn't come out of a smoker cooked by someone that knows what real slow cooking is tastes good to me. I know where you are coming from, I know so well that I don't go out to eat anymore, why not right? now I can save all that money for a new smoker. My point is, we are spoiled, we have spoiled ourselves. There is no one else to blame. It is true, their food will never be good enough for a true Q'er. My wife has recently said the same thing to me, that I have spoiled her with my smoker.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » October 28th, 2011, 8:36 pm

I hear ya man.

Return to “Off Topic Stuff”