Our new grandson

No Politics, No Religion... Smoking Allowed 8-)
Forum rules
No Politics, No Religion, Smoking is Allowed 8-)
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Our new grandson

Post by Puff » May 13th, 2015, 4:08 pm

Today while driving north of here, there is a place having a big green egg demo on Saturday....I may try to go.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by forty_creek » May 13th, 2015, 7:01 pm

If you can talk to the dealer you might could by one of the demoed units from him. A buddy of mine did that exact thing in witchita falls, Texas. Saved $175! He got it after the eggfest. I would recommend the large. The XL is nice but for just you and the wife and a few others you can cook all you want on a large. I have a L. I've cooked on a med, L (obviously) and XL. You can fit two good butts on it. With a rib rack which you can purchase or build you can cook 6-7 slabs (trimmed). The L is 18" the XL is 22" (I think). You can build or buy multiple tier racks. To stack food. You can grill 6-8 ribeyes at time pending size. Their very efficient! I like it for the porch. Their so versatile. Set the diverter your smoking. Remove it your grilling.
Never use lighter fluid in it!!!! I already knew and I advised my neighbor where I used to live. He stayed drunk. I walked over one night. I could smell lighter fluid. I asked him you use lighter fluid in the egg? He said yeah. I asked how did it like the food. He said great. I'm like no there's no way!!!! It's was sitting cold and the lighter fluid was stout. The ceramic is porous... I wouldn't advise it. He's prolly so intoxicated he doesn't even taste it. I'm serious. One beer in the evening he was back thick tongued. I didn't visit him much...you cudnt carry on a conversation with him. Anyway good luck. If you decide to drop the $$$ for an egg I don't think you will be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » May 13th, 2015, 7:25 pm

I will agree that one day I'll step up to a ceramic when funds allow. When I do it will probably be a Kamado Joe or Primo ceramic grill. Look at Costco in your area, they have Kamado Joe road shows where they offer great deals on new grills.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 13th, 2015, 8:17 pm

I figure it this way....I probably spent the same money building my GF maybe even more. I usually try to insure I have more steel than needed, more discs for cutting, I'll pick up screws, nuts, grade 8 bolts by the lb. I hate driving and it's great just having the supplies when needed.

I want to build the smaller GF since mine is so big and heavy and it will not cost that much less. The egg will be a good size, sit on the deck and not a trailer or distant garage and I'll have it for the upcoming summer.ive read some nice stuff about it

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » May 14th, 2015, 4:56 am

If I were in your situation Puff, I would build an UDS to hold me over until I get what I really want. You can build a sweet UDS for under $200.00 and it will last for years. You can cook on it 10+ hours without messing with it. It will hold more than an egg and is more portable. Most of all you can keep your builder card.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » May 14th, 2015, 4:57 am

Puff I'm totally with you on getting a ceramic. Just wanted to put other options out there for you. All the ones I mentioned are ceramic, i just prefer what I have read about them and there customer service when needed. Kamado Joe is at the top of my list, then Primo, BGE not so much.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » May 14th, 2015, 8:14 pm

To me the Kamado Joe and BGE are equal. I have never been around a Primo. Me getting a BGE had nothing to do with which one of these to get...I had not heard of a ceramic cooker when I bought my BGE. I have not had any reason to call BGE. A friend of mine bought an XL. He had great customer service experience with them on replacing his plate setter/diverter. His first two cracked.

I really do not prefer one over the other... My cousin has a KJ. It performs just like my egg. I like the shape of the primos.

I am actually glad I did not know more about the three at the time of purchase over 9.5 years ago. I think they are all great patio cookers.

Puff- I am not pushing that you buy an egg. I am satisfied with mine...but I know the KJ performs the same and I am sure primos do too.

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 14th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Actually, while I was mentioning the BGE, it's only because there was going to be this demo on Saturday...I saw the Kamado Joe on line and there was a Primo ( I Think) at BJ's and was black ceramic with a stand for $699.00 ? Very pretty with the chrome band around it

I'm thinking they will smoke some tasty samples and I'd get my taste test for lunch and just check it out....the setup you have on yours Grabber70Mach is really a great idea. In fact I'm surprised there is no one selling something like it. Work space is always so nice to have. I was always planing to incorporate all of these different ideas into an outdoor style kitchen.

Nothing fancy like some of the advertising for pavers and pools. I have all of the plans for the pizza and bread oven but every day I feel the effects of aging. I used to think I could mix 80 bags of cement and dig the footings. We have acres for a giant spread but now that the kids are grown and have their lives to live, I need to rethink a bunch of these activities. The transition is here....AGH ! :hissy:

Return to “Off Topic Stuff”