New Jersey is # 1

No Politics, No Religion... Smoking Allowed 8-)
Forum rules
No Politics, No Religion, Smoking is Allowed 8-)
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

New Jersey is # 1

Post by Puff » January 6th, 2015, 6:25 pm

It's no secret I can't stand it here in NJ and if I could move tomorrow , I would. NBC news tonight reports that it is the number 1 state that people are moving OUT of. Even higher percentages for people over 50 ( geez, that's me)

Expenses, taxes, cost of living, jobs, housing, property tax, school tax, thumb tacks....glad I wasn't imagining all of this :BDHorse:

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: New Jersey is # 1

Post by The Czar » January 6th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Sad face!!

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » January 6th, 2015, 8:03 pm

That means you will be able to expand your shop. After everyone else moves away! So it's all good Puff!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » January 6th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Oh, an optimist?

Funny, I live way out in the last of the boonies. But the minute I get to the main road, it like a slap.... So, grin and bear it!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » January 6th, 2015, 10:10 pm

I've spent lots of time in NJ and can't understand why anyone lives there (no offense Puff). As everyone moves out, buy their property and before you know it you can own 51% of the state and rename it to Ole Puff.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 7th, 2015, 6:29 am

Yea, some cool stuff like that!!!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » January 7th, 2015, 9:54 am

Great Ideas... RC, I had the greatest time of my life when I was a kid and lived in South Miami. I was 14 with a DRIVERS LICENSE ! Fished on weekends and caught some GREAT Florida seafood. That was before the changes in Miami (1970) I told my wife...we could move to Florida ! Too hot...too humid...NO WAY!

SO... CRS, I suggested Minnesota ! (and I knew this was coming ) " That is SO COLD, might as well go back to Vermont." ( which is where I've been trying to get back to for 25 years )

OH ! OK. That's when the argument started ( as the joke goes)

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » January 7th, 2015, 10:48 am

I've never been there. In fact, SC is the only state I've visited out east.

Are you tied to the coast? If not, move out here to the midwest. You get to be anything you want here...a yuppie (KCK), a hick (Anywhere North Kansas City) a thug (independence, MO) a junkie (again, Indep, MO) or just a leave me alone type (Ozarks).

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by noXcuse » January 7th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Puff wrote: Expenses, taxes, cost of living, jobs, housing, property tax, school tax, thumb tacks....
Don't forget their outrageous gun laws.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » January 7th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Whoa Pennywise, looks like I'm going to the Ozarks ! Actually, Above any other major ties that keep me here, my son and his wife had a baby boy last week. Now I'm a GrandPuff. That means my wife will never want to go.

NoXcuse, I knew a few good ole boys about 1 mile from me that had one of the biggest arsenals I'd seen. Fortunately they weren't wierd or crazy so it was Ok to go by every so often.

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by noXcuse » January 7th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Lol. I have a buddy that lives up there in Keansburg (spelling). He complains about the gun laws all the time. Compared to Virginia's very lax gun laws, NJ is strict. A couple years ago, they even abolished the 1 handgun a month law. Now you can buy as many as you want. And we're an open carry state that "shall issue" CCW permits.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » January 7th, 2015, 6:14 pm

Sounds like a RV is your best option, then you can live everywhere! Your always welcome in my hick part of mizzery.

Congrats on the grandson, grandpa! :beer:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » January 7th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Keansburg is correct. Hurricane Sandy did a number there...were about 35 miles from there and my son tells me the gun laws have changed but he gets a permit to purchase every 6-8 weeks to stay ahead of the BS. I have a few here just in case to keep out rats, the 200 lb ones!

Thanks S1 :beer: That RV is Not a bad plan

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » January 8th, 2015, 7:50 am

Puff wrote:Keansburg is correct. Hurricane Sandy did a number there...were about 35 miles from there and my son tells me the gun laws have changed but he gets a permit to purchase every 6-8 weeks to stay ahead of the BS. I have a few here just in case to keep out rats, the 200 lb ones!

Thanks S1 :beer: That RV is Not a bad plan
You have to have a permit to buy a gun? Ouch. Next to Texas, I think we may have the most lax gun laws...not sure.

You walk in, you say "I want that one" and they make you fill out the Fed paperwork. Then before you even are done shopping your approved and walk out with a new pistol.

In Clay County where I live, the sherrif encourages everyone to get their conceal carry. He will sign it while you wait...LOL

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » January 8th, 2015, 8:50 am

:o Wow...my first gun was bought at a general store in Vt. Same way.... Not here

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by noXcuse » January 8th, 2015, 9:29 am

Pennywise wrote: You have to have a permit to buy a gun? Ouch. Next to Texas, I think we may have the most lax gun laws...not sure.

You walk in, you say "I want that one" and they make you fill out the Fed paperwork. Then before you even are done shopping your approved and walk out with a new pistol.

In Clay County where I live, the sherrif encourages everyone to get their conceal carry. He will sign it while you wait...LOL
That's how it is here. Just walk in and fill out the federal paperwork. 10-15 minutes later you're out the door with a new toy. No sheriff has to sign any paperwork though. Anyone here can get an FFL. We have dedicated gun stores, pawn shops, and at home dealers. We'll see what our new governor does to try and stop it since he was endorsed by the person in the oval office. I don't think much will change though with the republican control in the state.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » January 8th, 2015, 9:38 am

The only thing the Sherrif signs is your CCP. Where are you Xcuse?

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by noXcuse » January 8th, 2015, 11:01 am

Oh ok. I'm in VA. That does happen here too. The police or sheriff's department has to look over your CCW application and criminal history before the circuit court issues the permit.

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » January 8th, 2015, 3:54 pm

In Texas we just hand out the concealed handgun permit with your Drivers License. :D

Just kidding, but it is about that easy. The class use to be 2 days now it is down to 6 hours, and once you have the permit you no longer have to re-certify every 2 years.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » January 8th, 2015, 5:23 pm

You've seen the sign, " welcome to NJ....your freedom ends here "

Or this one... " I don't need anger management, I just need people to stop pissing me off"

Return to “Off Topic Stuff”