Setting up my own

OFFICIAL Gathering news and updates. also if you want to have a gathering in your area be it big or small let us know here!
sassy's
beginner
beginner
Title: aspiring competitor
BBQ Comp Team Name: Sassy's BBQ

Setting up my own

Post by sassy's » October 29th, 2011, 11:03 am

I was recently approached by some city employees in my home town. They told me that they were looking for an event to help draw people into town during their summer celebration day on June 2 of 2012. They said they heard that I was a BBQ guy and had been doing some competition. They were wondering if I could help them set up an event for the summer. Without any hesitation and probably a little to excited, I said well heck yeah I will! \m/ Now that I have run around this site and know that it's not all about building smokers and the people her are all addicted like I am, I am wondering if you guys could help me with some ideas. I know the basics to an event, but why not throw in something different and unique. Shoot me some ideas that I can take to the commitee. I want to throw an event like no other has ever been thrown before it. :-bd

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Setting up my own

Post by Frank_Cox » October 29th, 2011, 11:31 am

Sounds good! I will see what I can come up with. I Aldo know some people who organize their own comp's so maybe I can get you some pointers from them. If you do a sanctioned kcbs event, it will cost money just to get the sanctioning, but it will draw some big names if you do it right. There is some info on that on the kcbs site

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » October 29th, 2011, 2:22 pm

I would have to vote for a non sanctioned deal for the first one or two. At least.

That way you basically make your own rules. Then if you are getting a nice turn of people then think about having it sanctioned.

I would hate to hear that something happened like in St Louis this year. Can ya help out on the details on that one Frank?

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

sassy's
beginner
beginner
Title: aspiring competitor
BBQ Comp Team Name: Sassy's BBQ

Post by sassy's » October 29th, 2011, 3:30 pm

I am definetly thinking non sanctioned, but using rules from the kcbs guidelines. I can line up at least 12 teams if we get this scheduled soon enough. I just want unique and fun ideas. Maybe make em smoke a tur-duck-in LOL.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » October 29th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Heck ya, thats the comps that are the most fun.

I may have missed it, but what part of the world are you in??

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 30th, 2011, 5:38 am

One event could be a rib eye cook off - not a long overnight cook and it should draw good smokers AND good backyard cooks. A local Grocery store sponsors this event and provides 2 rib-eyes for each contestant to level the playing field. Add the low and slow events to that so you should get a sizable field of contestants to get the energy of the event up to an interesting and self supporting level. ...a thought :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Return to “Gatherings”