CowBoy Cooker using the Hossfeld Bender

Camping and Backyard Fire Rings
JPinSTL
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

CowBoy Cooker using the Hossfeld Bender

Post by JPinSTL » December 10th, 2019, 12:16 pm

I did learn how to use it in this project. I'm dreaming up some new ideas to use the Hossfeld on.

I bought a Hossfled used and it came with a bunch of angle iron dies. All of it has been siting in a pile for almost 2yrs and I've been meaning to get it figured out. My 2nd Amendment Supplier buddy asked me to build him a fire pit. It was to as closely as possible resemble one his wife had seen, but he did not want to waste his money on rusty Chinese steel :-) Build it to last he said.

I finished this pain in the ass fire pit. Came out pretty good. Took too long and I did not charge enough :-) Concentric rings for the shelf are 3/8 solid round. Inside ring is 1in x 3/16 flat edge bent and the outer ring is 1x1x3/16 angle bent leg in. Adjustable height swinging grate is sized for a weber kettle grate for easy replacement in the future. Upright for the grate is removable and just drops in a socket.

The "shelf" part with the concentric rings took too much time, easily half of the 30hrs. The 48in outside shelf ring is 1x1x3/16 angle bent leg in. Holy Hell was this hard to do manually since you are compressing the metal. There was a lot of distortion, but after running it through a couple times and inch at a time it smoothed out. That size material is probably the limit without hydraulics. I needed a diameter between 36in and 47in for the 3/8 solid rod rings. I used the #18 and #20 die, 2 each and walked them into place. I made some "combs" to help with the spacing and built it upside down on the table to do all the bracing so the shelf surface would be flat.

The swinging grate was also bent on the Hossfled. It is 1.5inx3/16 strap and it bent easily. Sized the frame to support a 22.5in Weber Kettle Grate so he could replace it easily later on.

The bowl is an end from a 500 gallon propane tank and started out 37in but I trimmed it down to 33in. The footrest is 1in Sch40 pipe, also 48in I rolled on my modified Harbor Freight ring roller.
Attachments
1in Angle Ring 4ft small.jpg
firepit top.jpg
concentric rings.jpg
FireKettle_Shelf_Grate1small.jpg
FireKettle_Shelf_Grate2small.jpg
RanchFirePit_Chinese.jpg

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Re: CowBoy Cooker using the Hossfeld Bender

Post by pr0wlunwoof » December 10th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Great Job. What did you charge for it?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 10th, 2019, 7:58 pm

:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 10th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Looks great.....love the idea.

I’m willing to bet that simply showing it to my wife would grant me permission to buy that hydraulic bender I’ve been looking at!

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » December 11th, 2019, 5:59 am

DT stated:
I’m willing to bet that simply showing it to my wife would grant me permission to buy that hydraulic bender I’ve been looking at!
Let me know how that works out for you... =))

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » December 11th, 2019, 9:32 am

That is one good lookin' fire pit. Gotta admit that I've been thinking about a bender (okay, going on a bender.....) for some time.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

JPinSTL
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JPinSTL » December 11th, 2019, 10:26 am

pr0wlunwoof wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Great Job. What did you charge for it?
Not enough. I had $250+ in materials and 30+ hrs in labor. I charged him less than the $1250 I had in the used Hossfeld Bender I bought. I could not have done the job without the bender. So I made/lost money depending on how you look at it. It forced me to get the bender setup, I had to make a stand and anchor it, order some dies and pins I was missing, run a couple sticks through it for practice. We also bartered on a couple items for the safe :-)

I like tools and I like making stuff. The fire kettle hobby is a side hustle to justify my tool hoarding to the wife :-) This was not the first one I've built. I've made "fancier" ones with designs cutout, but from a technical side this was the most advanced to date with that shelf. From Sept -> Dec I'm usually out in the shop evenings and weekends making firepits when I'm not chasing the kids or mowing leaves.

I told Mike he was getting a deal and he knows it. Referrals are appreciated but I told him not to quote a price. If I was going to do these shelves regularly I would do the outside ring from flat strap the easy way, NOT ANGLE, or make them out of rolled pipe like I do the footrests. The reason I did the angle ring was originally the shelf was going to be made from expanded steel and the angle would cap it. But then he thought it would rust out sooner so I went with the solid rod rings.

Return to “Fire Rings/ Cowboy Cookin”