brick smoker

Smokers and Ovens made of Brick and Stone
khaldun
beginner
beginner

brick smoker

Post by khaldun » June 5th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Hey folks, I will start by saying that I have zero experience and little to no knowledge of what I'm doing. I have just started laying blocks for my outdoor kitchen including a small smoker, but I really wanted to run the design by some knowledgeable people before I got too far down the road. I really shouldn't have started because I still haven't finished the design yet (doors, hinges, latches, air intake, etc), but I had to start sometime. I know this isn't the best design and it is hard to tell what I am doing from these crude drawings, but any and all criticism is appreciated. Basically, this a vertical smoker, separating the cook chamber from the fire box will be a 2" thick cast concrete piece. The concrete piece (E in the drawing) has a 1" gap on either side to allow heat and smoke to travel to the cook chamber. I don't really know how to attach the doors or if I need a steel frame as I show, it just seems like it would be easier with one, to me. Like I said I have no ego about any of this, I really just want to make something that works and looks nice (per my wife), so any and all advice is really appreciated. I think I added 3 very crude drawings of my plan below. I hope that you can open them, but if not let me know and I will try again.
Attachments
test top view.png
test door.jpg
test front view.png

khaldun
beginner
beginner

Re: brick smoker

Post by khaldun » June 6th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Can anybody give me any advice on how to attach doors to the CMU's how to attach the doors. And also, do you guys make the custom doors yourselves or order them to be made from somewhere?

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 6th, 2018, 7:17 pm

I don’t see any issues with what you’re wanting to build. Looks like it’s a good design to me. There really aren’t all lotta rules for vertical smokers other than make sure if the firebox is directly below the Cook chamber that you have enough of the heat sink to prevent burning everything up.
You’re correct the best thing to do is build a steel frame and mount the doors to it. If you have enough block surrounding the door opening then take a piece of flat plate and use concrete anchors to anchor it directly to the brick. Then you can just make a standard Cook chamber door with a gasket on it and it’ll be fine

khaldun
beginner
beginner

Post by khaldun » June 7th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Thanks Frank! I will be sure to upload some photos when I am finished.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 9th, 2018, 10:08 am

Don’t wait until then we like progress pictures too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » June 9th, 2018, 5:57 pm

:yth: progress pics are great. And it helps somone else if they are thinking of doing the same or similar. :kewl:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

alicebarrie

Post by alicebarrie » September 14th, 2018, 8:50 am

The pics are so good, I think it will be helpful for someone who wants do the same things.

A good portable gas grill is a game changer. Like magic, your outdoor meal will be a fresh and fun treat to involve everyone.