PROPANE ADDITION TO SMOKER

If you are having trouble with a feature of our forums post it here. If you need help figuring something out, post it here too.
jblaylock1960

PROPANE ADDITION TO SMOKER

Post by jblaylock1960 » September 30th, 2015, 3:42 pm

I HAVE A REVERSE FLOW SMOKER AND WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL A PROPANE PIPE BURNER TO HELP WITH ADDITIONAL HEAT AND TO CUT DOWN ON CHARCOAL USAGE. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST PLACE FOR THIS INSTALLATION? CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT?

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Re: PROPANE ADDITION TO SMOKER

Post by noXcuse » September 30th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Don't do it. Potential bomb. And if you ever compete, they're against the rules.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » October 1st, 2015, 7:19 pm

You will find little to no support of adding propane to a smoker. As stated above they are very dangerous unless you add all the propane safety equipment. You can expect to pay nearly $700 to do it correctly. You and buy a lot of charcoal for that amount of money.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 2nd, 2015, 6:06 am

If you think in terms of a gas flame, it requires gas and oxygen to burn. Putting an gas burner in the cooking environment is hard to keep it lit, because there is not much air in there. So when the flame goes out if the gas doesn't stop the whole CC will fill with gas until it connects with oxygen and the FB, then trouble. Gas grills and gas smokers all have one thing in common. The fire is just above an almost completely open bottom of the device, so it is never without air. I have to admit I use an gas burner for preheating my smoker (my trailer rig). I fire it up open the clean out door, and crack an stack damper, then light the charcoal chimney. By the time I throw the lit charcoal and a few splints in the FB with the throat opening closed, the CC is almost to temp. Then when the splints get going well I turn off the gas and open the throat opening damper and we off to the races. It takes about 40 minutes off my start time which is pretty cool.

But without the gas safety valve with an pilot light set up it is too risky in the CC.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » October 2nd, 2015, 11:23 am

I'm doing exactly what RC just described. It will not be used for cooking. Heat up the pit and help get the fire going quicker. If the gas is on the FB door will be open.
I would advise against using propane to cook with way to unsafe. Like CRS said charcoal is cheap compared to a serious accident grim gas
Jm2

Drankin, Smokin and Dreamin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » October 19th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Good lord...when did RC become a savant?

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » October 20th, 2015, 9:02 pm

You're something else DC.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » October 21st, 2015, 6:20 am

Yep take it from me, it is unsafe. I have 20+ years in the food equipment industry and the HVAC industry. I've got lots of experience with gas equipment. Use gas on a smoker without flame safety equipment and your asking for trouble

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » October 23rd, 2015, 12:28 pm

Safety first, and these guys have covered it.

It's way down on the list of concerns, but consider also propane is over 3,000 degrees F flame, which may be hot enough to burn the finish off the outside of your cook chamber if there are any spots where it gets too close to the chamber walls? I'm a noob so the guys might correct me on that...

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius