Odd shaped tank

Forum questions and assistance
314 Smoking Joe
beginner
beginner

Odd shaped tank

Post by 314 Smoking Joe » August 27th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Well the tank I was supposed to get off Craigslist was rusted thru so I passed, but as I left work my boss asked me to help him unload a trailer of scrap metal. He had a old 50 gallon air tank that he let me have. When I got it home I measured it & the circumference is 72 in. & 36 in. Tall. So basically its short & fat lol. It's not shaped like any tank I've ever saw but it's a REALLY solid tank. Weighs about 200 lbs. im sure that it can be used. I just need some ideas to point me in the right direction. Here are a few pics.

314 Smoking Joe
beginner
beginner

Re: Odd shaped tank

Post by 314 Smoking Joe » August 27th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Well the tank I was supposed to get off Craigslist was rusted thru so I passed, but as I left work my boss asked me to help him unload a trailer of scrap metal. He had a old 50 gallon air tank that he let me have. When I got it home I measured it & the circumference is 72 in. & 36 in. Tall. So basically its short & fat lol. It's not shaped like any tank I've ever saw but it's a REALLY solid tank. Weighs about 200 lbs. im sure that it can be used. I just need some ideas to point me in the right direction. Here are a few pics.
Attachments
tank 1.jpg

314 Smoking Joe
beginner
beginner

Post by 314 Smoking Joe » August 27th, 2012, 10:32 pm

sorry about the duplicate post. idk what happened there. Heres another pic. my question is,it's for a patio build this thing weighs alot & it doesnt even have a fire box yet. Is heavier better? Should i save this for my trailer build this fall? i just wonder if any of you can give me ideas. the calculator gave me a firebox size of 16 by 16 0n a 50 gallon tank. will the shape of the tank effect the cooking temps? can i go with 2 racks instead of 1 to maximize my cooking surface? any advice is appreciated,thanks
Attachments
tank 3.jpg
tank 3.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 147 times

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by TuscaloosaQ » August 28th, 2012, 6:32 am

If your circumfrance is what you said the diameter should be right at 23" OD, you will have enough space for 2 sets of racks, and you say it is really heavy. You really do not know the thickness until you bust it open (cut it) It could be full of sludge or have some internals you dont know about. generally 1/4" is plenty, although heavier is fine it will just take longer to get up to temp but will hold temps longer when up to temp.... In my opinion it would make a great patio model

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » August 28th, 2012, 9:18 am

TuscaloosaQ wrote:It could be full of sludge or have some internals you dont know about.
:yth:
I'm with TQ, that is a great patio size IMO .. nice find :kewl:

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

314 Smoking Joe
beginner
beginner

Post by 314 Smoking Joe » August 28th, 2012, 5:42 pm

I plan on cutting the door out this weekend so I'll know then the exact thickness. I do have one question about the calculator. I entered it as a 50 gallon tank. Is the object of the calculator to get the fire box specs as close to 100% as possible? I know it's a stupid question but I'm new to this. I plan on buying plans for my trailer build but a build like this, I think I can wing it with a little advice & hopefully learn from any of my mistakes. I plan to have a 5 by 5in hole from fire box (16 by 17in made from 1/4in plate)to the chamber,with a 1/4in plate 4 1/2in from the bottom of the tank. I'll leave a 4in gap at the end away from the fire box.Add 2 cook racks placing my stack 1 1/2 above the bottom rack on same side as the fire box. Does that sound Legit? I'm new @ this so any advice or better suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » August 29th, 2012, 6:42 am

use the calculator, and get as close to the reccomended size as possibly, I generally use a slightly bigger firebox than the calculator suggest. That is just me. I do not know about the gallon size of the tank but with the numbers you gave the tank is 23" diameter by 36 tall, so use those numbers to get your calcuations

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

smokendink71
Expert
Expert
Title: Le Cordon Bleu Chef

Post by smokendink71 » August 29th, 2012, 12:00 pm

sounds like the tank is about half the size of a 120 gallon horizontal propane tank, I know Frank has a set of plans for that build, you may want to ask him about this build.

A little about me, I am a Le Cordon Bleu Chef and have been in the food service industry for over 10 years. Any questions about food I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

314 Smoking Joe
beginner
beginner

Post by 314 Smoking Joe » August 29th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Yeah I believe so. So if the circumference is 72 then I'm guessing Tuscaloosa is saying diameter is 23? If so then that's why the calculator number have looked so odd. Thanks for the patience. This is my 1st build & I don't wana screw it up & waste $$. Lol.

smokendink71
Expert
Expert
Title: Le Cordon Bleu Chef

Post by smokendink71 » August 29th, 2012, 1:00 pm

well I know if you cut a 120 in half it's 36" x 24" and makes for a real nice back yard smoker

A little about me, I am a Le Cordon Bleu Chef and have been in the food service industry for over 10 years. Any questions about food I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » August 29th, 2012, 2:10 pm

The size sounds right for a good backyarder. Put that thing on some nice pneumatic casters so you can roll it around.

You can't go wrong with a set of plans from Frank. Might be a little extra cash up front, but it might save you from breaking it down again and redoing it.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).