Hauling a propane tank

Forum questions and assistance
Gotcha929
beginner
beginner

Hauling a propane tank

Post by Gotcha929 » August 21st, 2011, 2:49 am

Hello I just have a question, and not sure where to post it. I just bought a 500 gallon propane tank off of someone on CL. In order to haul it away do I need to hire someone to go get it. A friend on mine told me even though it's a old empty tank you have to have someone with a hazmat lisence to haul it. I am not sure,
this is my first big Smoker build. I live in Cincinnati, and the guy lives in Indiana. Again I am not familiar with the laws. Just wondering if someone would know.

thank you
Travis

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Hauling a propane tank

Post by Frank_Cox » August 21st, 2011, 11:16 am

Hi Travis! Welcome to the site :)
You can haul as many as you want with no hazmat licensing as long as the tank has been decommissioned by the propane company. Decommissioned tanks will have the valves taken out of them and all liquid will be gone. The tank will still smell like propane because of the oderant that is used in the propane. The rating plate will also be missing. They hafta remove it for their records. If it is a private tank, I would just do all that myself. Is there any propane left in it? If so you will need to hook up a deep fryer or something to it and burn it off. Make sure the burner is at least 25 feet away and it is elevated above the tank. When the fire goes out you have removed enough of the propane to vent the tank. Make sure you observe all safety requirements when doing any of these things and if you doubt anything I said then contact a propane company and have them do it for you. BE SAFE!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » August 21st, 2011, 11:31 am

Yup, what Frank said. :D

Once all thats done, and I was ready to head home. I do think I would get it strapped down to travel, then I would cover it with a tarp. 9 times out of 10, if the law sees a giant torpedo looking thing on your trailer then there gonna stop ya. If they can't see it, chances are there not even gonna thing twice about stopping you.

Not that you would be doing anything wrong, since it would be decommissioned, but more the fact that you just won't get hassled on the way home.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Gotcha929
beginner
beginner

Post by Gotcha929 » August 21st, 2011, 4:26 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I didn't think you needed a hazmat, but again thought I would check into it. And I definately plan on covering it up. I figured that if a state boy or a cop sees me hauling a huge propane tank there would be some questions. Well stay tuned, the build will start later this week. I am sure this was just the start of many more questions to come. As far as the tank being empty, the guy that I bought it from said that it was. I will have to email him and see if
it's been decomissioned from the propane co. I had to get the tank though, I didn't think a $100.00 was a bad price for it. Again guys thanks for all the info, this a great site. I am looking to learn alot from the people here.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » August 21st, 2011, 9:51 pm

Glad to hear the news of the build starting soon.

Talking about the cops looking at stuff on the highway. LMAO Franks smoker has a nice warmer over the firebox at the rear of the rig, and its made from a propane tank.
So I told him that he needs to find an old set of oxy/act gauges, braze a fitting on the top and mount the fake gauges up there. Cop see the act gauge and might not know what to think.

Then I am sure there would be at least one person say ( look there, that fool mounted his propane tank right on top of the firebox. )

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 24th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I would have said something like.....hauling a propane tank should be done very carefully....

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar