Reverse Flow vs Offset

Forum questions and assistance
KingRanch450

Reverse Flow vs Offset

Post by KingRanch450 » December 8th, 2011, 3:24 pm

I've been researching smokers and am looking at buying during the first part of next year. I have a couple of smokers I love...one is an offset with tuning plates and the other is a reverse flow. I'm a beginner in the world of smoking and will be cooking for family and friends and would eventually love to get into comps. I'd love to hear from the board on what they think about Reverse Flow vs. Offset.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Reverse Flow vs Offset

Post by Gizmo » December 8th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Overall I would guess the RF design is more easily stable for temperature - a valuable trait. Once the main baffle is up to temp it just doesn't want to change much. To me the center feed reverse flow makes the most sense but they aren't very common (yet). :-)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 8th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Reverse flow is the easiest to get tuned and once it is set you will be able to get consistent temps. offsets are good for those who like hotspots during their smokes. some like to smoke hot and fast, mostly comp guy's. they both can be great smokers. Now, as far as a commercially available smoker, do tons of research... not just on the smoker itself, but on the builder as well. see how well his/ her customers like the smoker a year or so after using it. I think you'll find the more satisfied people spent more money. I know that a lot of builders who sell top end smokers get to know their customers and will stand behind their work for years to come.
I would recommend you look at building one as well. there is nothing like the feeling of one of your friends telling you "that is the best BBQ I have ever had!" and you smoked it on the smoker YOU built yourself! :kewl: :kewl:

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 8th, 2011, 8:31 pm

:yth:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 11th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Yup, x2.

Building one isn't to terriable. Where are you located, one of us may be just around the corner.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » December 12th, 2011, 8:33 am

:huh: :yth: X3.....(sorry I just wanted to post)

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » December 29th, 2011, 1:37 pm

KingRanch450, everything said so far is spot on in my opinion. I built my Son-in-laws team the Smokin' Ace's their reverse flow and they love it I also enjoy cooking on it as well. My current build is my comp. rig and it is a hybrid which allows me the option to go reverse flow, tuning plates or no plates at all. I also set up the warming chamber to be a smoker as well. I prefer the option to create a hot spot when I want it this is why I chose my design.
Here is the link to it.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=273
As far as commercial brands go in my opinion they all have there flaws in one aspect or another. Some are by design or lack of common options that I feel should be on a cooker from the get go. Others through experience from seeing and reading about lack quality control and just turn out cookers that are not worth the money.
I hope this helps. :)