BTU's Required For A Given Volume Of Cook Space??

Forum questions and assistance
The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: BTU's Required For A Given Volume Of Cook Space??

Post by The Czar » April 16th, 2015, 9:13 pm

And that's the first page only

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Q-Dat
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Q-Dat » April 16th, 2015, 10:20 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:so, I think you will find that in the case of a pellet hopper the BTU content will not be the issue as much as the required air flow needed to get the cook chamber to temp and keeping it there. a standard 36,000 BTU hopper assembly (smoke Daddy one in this case) moves about 130CFM of air. I would think that would be on the low end. good thing is you can always install a convection fan or even another hopper and put them in parallel on 1 controller. :-B :-B
Yeah the second burner is a plan B that I am willing to pursue if needed, but I hope not to need. Now the convection fan idea like, and would not have thought of.

Since the caps are dead space anyway do you think cutting them off and replacing with 1/4" plate would make a significant difference?

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » April 17th, 2015, 7:23 am

In your case with pellet hoppers I do think that would be a good idea. Its just wasted cook chamber volume and it really does nothing for you as far as improving the pattern of the airflow. I can go into that another time. also you might consider putting the the pellet hopper in the center of the tank maybe on the back side. you would have to build a square box to fit into that would be under the tank which would help with more even distribution in the cook chamber sort of the way that the Traeger pellet hoppers are installed

Q-Dat
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Q-Dat » April 17th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:In your case with pellet hoppers I do think that would be a good idea. Its just wasted cook chamber volume and it really does nothing for you as far as improving the pattern of the airflow. I can go into that another time. also you might consider putting the the pellet hopper in the center of the tank maybe on the back side. you would have to build a square box to fit into that would be under the tank which would help with more even distribution in the cook chamber sort of the way that the Traeger pellet hoppers are installed
So I measured and if I cut at the welds where the caps are attached that will give me a 48" tube. So basically the same as a 24' pipe 4' long.

I actually want the temps to be uneven to some extent and to be able to direct grill over the pellet burner so I will still most likely end mount the hopper. The auger is 12" from the center of the burn pot to the edge of the hopper so that leaves me the better part of 3' for indirect cooking. I'm thinking two doors. A smaller one on the burner side and a larger one on the indirect side.

If I were trying to maximize cooking space I would definitely take your suggestion of center mounting the burner. In fact if this all works out like I am hoping I may build a 250 gallon with two pellet burners down the road.

I seriously appreciate all the help here. I would be totally guessing without it.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » April 17th, 2015, 9:36 pm

LOL. I knew he would be along to answer.

And he didn't even touch on the centrifugal vortex condrum of the mass air flow sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Q-Dat
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Q-Dat » April 17th, 2015, 10:20 pm

Pit_Doctor wrote:And he didn't even touch on the centrifugal vortex condrum of the mass air flow sensor.
Whoa hold on now! That sounds like its important! I feel like I need to know about that!

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » April 18th, 2015, 8:35 am

Most important part of that deal is the fact that you have to buy it in the apple store at best buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » April 18th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Hahaha, hydrostatic circumference weighs in heavily on the MAS sensor