Building a Cooker from a Propane Tank

Forum questions and assistance
Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Building a Cooker from a Propane Tank

Post by Rodcrafter » February 9th, 2015, 7:20 am

I know just what you mean about the location of the stack. It works fine on this one, it reduces the dripping zone by about half.

Pay no attention to the gas burner in this picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:BDHorse: :rulz:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » February 9th, 2015, 11:02 am

RC-no pic?

Pete- I have thought about double stacks. so would you enter say if your using 8" pipe, would you enter 16"s in the calculator? Or do you guys just know what works...

I have felt a lot like the horse.... :BDHorse:

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » February 9th, 2015, 11:33 am

Ha... My most immediate thought is yes since it is calculated based on volumes... Once the cc size volume is plugged into the equation, it looks to be like a continuous "what if" based on the variables around a constant.

But, I had this smoke filled vision once and it keeps interfering .... :-o

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 9th, 2015, 4:26 pm

FC
Sorry about the missing picture, I did go back and fix it. I would just cut the length of the pipe in half if I were to use 2 8" pieces.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 9th, 2015, 7:16 pm

RC- I am still not seeing a pic??

I know I have mentioned I was going to do this but I really have not asked for your input... I am installing a charcoal grate in the bottom of the CC about 4"s above the bottom. This way if I need to cook steaks for a large group I can remove the BP/TPs and use it as a grill. My wondering mind got me to thinking...is this going to mess up the draft or choke the draft underneath the BP/TP's?
charcoal grate rail.JPG
Prolly obvious but this is looking from the FB.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 9th, 2015, 7:41 pm

I realize I will need to keep the ash cleaned out for RF cooks. Am I over thinking this...?

Next step inside the CC is to install the BP/TP's. The Roxul should be in by mid week. Then we will finish the FB. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I am getting better with my beads. This is getting a little addictive to say the least

Thanks for all you fellas advise and input!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 9th, 2015, 10:35 pm

I don't have any experience of doing it this way. But you may not want to, but be prepared to remove the charcoal grate when not in use. I say that because there's so much of it. You can run it a few times with and without to see if it bothers the flow. Just don't weld any of that stuff in place. I put an overlapping piece of 2" flat bar on one side of each of my tuning plates. This gave a nice seal when using them as BP. When I get to my puter I'll post a pic.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 9th, 2015, 10:56 pm

RC-thanks. I was thinking to do that exact thing on the TPs.
On the charcoal grating that makes perfect common sense try a cooks with and without... I figure I can store em under the cooker if they do interfere with the draft.
Thanks again
Reed

Rodcrafter

Building a Cooker from a Propane Tank

Post by Rodcrafter » February 10th, 2015, 6:18 am

I'm not sure if you figured in a dam at the FB to stop drippings from running in it. But with the size CC you have and the fact you're using TPs, you will need something. A grease fire in your CC at about the finish line of a massive cook would really suck. I put 1" and have never seen any even near problem.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 10th, 2015, 10:02 am

10/4, I had thgt abt it...but it wasn't on my list of to do's. So thanks for the reminder

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 10th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Question to all- on the grease trap in the bottom of the CC to keep grease out of the FB... I did not allow a lip on the FB so I am thinking about installing a lip 14"s from the FB in the bottom of the CC. The 14"s is because the first 14"s is going to have a solid baffle plate from the FB. So how much or will a 1 or 2" trap affect the draw, if any since its on the bottom of the CC...

My apologies if this is treading on a BTU post...

Thanks
Reed

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 11th, 2015, 7:07 am

Back yard RF with TP see the sump on the opposite end of the FB.

Inside look

Big ones get the same

I have found that if I'm using TP it is better to have a sump opposite the FB and a small grease dam on the FB end.

The dam on the floor of the CC away from the FB is ideal because the heat/smoke flows through the smoker as if it were water. Picture your smoker turned upside down and a great deal of water running through it. That is what smoke and heat looks like. The dam 14" from the FB will not cause any problem at all.

jm2cw

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 11th, 2015, 10:19 am

RC- Thanks a bunches! Your water analogy is the thought I had but you just confirmed it. I had not visualized actual water...and the pit upside down. Gotcha on the sump...
I am gonna owe several of yawl some grub and/or beer when this build is done!

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 11th, 2015, 10:22 am

Who does the "comments under the avatar? I just noticed mine says "has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ" LOL

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 11th, 2015, 4:05 pm

It's automatic, it is based on how many posts you have done. It is funny though, I was so proud when mine said I was an expert. Then next thing you know Frank ask me if I would help moderate, and I lost my cool title went away. lol

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 11th, 2015, 4:29 pm

Gotcha! Yea "EXPERT" does sound cooler than "Moderator". But I have realized those that are Moderator(s) are EXPERTS on here.

Kinda like the first landfill cell construction project I worked on. I asked my bossman what was my position called? (I needed to know for the time sheets). I did all the layout surveying and grade certification, did time sheets, job costs tracking, hiring new employees, operated equipment...etc. His reply was Office Manager. I was like WT$? There's not an Office Manager working with dirt all day. He said it gave me a Manager title... 3 months later I was promoted to Superintendent. I didn't go around saying I was an OM that's for sure. An OM IMO works in an office everyday. Nothing against those that work in an office everyday. My office was an 8x10 portable building and my pickup.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 11th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Lol yep something like that

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » February 11th, 2015, 9:48 pm

Funny, I think there's a load of jobs out there just like yours... I know I have one...on the other hand, despite the fact that my brother and I sign the checks, pay the taxes, take all of the crap that comes down the line and are the last ones to get paid, our cards read...assistant manager :wtf: I'm pushing for a promotion to helper

By the way....never been to Louisiana. Have a friend in Slidell , send me a "save the date" :needfood:

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 11th, 2015, 10:38 pm

I am a lil over 5 hours from Slidell. I'm in the NW corner of the state. They get fresh seafood! Keep your ears on for the feast!LOL

My guys keep asking me what I am gonna cook first! I've just been tellin em, I have no idea but they will know when it hits the cooker!

Had to do some improvasion (don't know if that's a word) today. Started the BP...should have done that sooner. We got a head of ourselves. We got it. Will start the rail for the TP's tomorrow. I can say those beads are mine now! I ma not talking about Mardi Gras beads either. Still got a ways to go to make em look like "stacking dimes..."

Insulation came in today...doesn't appear to be damaged any from shipping

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 11th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Puff- I was raised rock throwing distance from Arkansas an hour from the Texas line. 3.5 hours to Dallas. 3-3.5 to Little Rock. 5.5 to New Orleans. I've worked from Dallas to Riegelwood, NC (30mins inland from Willmington).
Raised hunting, played baseball and football, riding horses, my dad raised thoroughbreds, my dad had is own construction company. Instead of a babysitter, I rode on a motorgrader or JD450 dozer w/ my Papaw. We ran our own horses from the 1986-2002. There was always work to do. We cut our own hay, ground our own feed...
My Papaw passed a way this past September 2nd.

Not sure where all the personal info came from... just felt the need. I miss my Papaw very much. He was 87...I got 40 of those years! I am very lucky and blessed for each of them!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 12th, 2015, 7:36 am

Sounds like your family poured some good stuff into your life making you who you are today.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » February 12th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Well Forty-creek...sounds like a very nice lifestyle. Know these feelings well, my dad passed away two days ago at 97. While the last few months were a little rough, he had a big influence in many areas of my life. Trying hard to make things easy for my mother but I see this is probably even harder

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 12th, 2015, 6:35 pm

WOW 97! Sorry for your loss.

It was our first deer season without being able to tell him what we saw. He was in a nursing home the last 7 years. My mamaw passed away 12 years ago. The last 2 years me and my dad couldn't physically handle getting him around. My dad would pay the home to bring him to his house or to the lake. The weekend before he passed a way we had him at my dads that Sunday. My dad no longer raises horses... he raises deer now. Papaw liked to feed them peanuts. (We do not hunt the farm raised deer... my dad has wanted to do it for years, raise deer that is). He has them scattered from Pennsylvania to Missouri to his farm in Springhill which is at his home.

No fun at all... We know they are not hurting anymore.
Last edited by forty_creek on February 12th, 2015, 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » February 12th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Update on the progress...
IMG_1739.JPG
Throat open
IMG_1744.JPG
Throat closed--- if I have a draft issue I will cut this out. Thought just incase I just wanted to use the WC/VC help with the heat...
IMG_1737.JPG
BP and TP rail
IMG_1747.JPG
BP and TP rail
IMG_1746.JPG
TP and Charcoal rail
IMG_1740.JPG
FB and CC vents to WC/VC...I just estimated a size...

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 12th, 2015, 10:01 pm

Keep it up and you will be smoking soon.

Return to “Questions?”