Show us what else you build!

Forum questions and assistance
Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Show us what else you build!

Post by Rodcrafter » March 23rd, 2015, 2:33 pm

Puff wrote:Are those fluorescent stripes built into the rods? Also, I do need a pole barn....busy next month?
Puff, those rods you see that look like fluorescent color on them are just cheap telescoping crappie rods. The ones that have the nice reels on them and a couple of the others are the ones I make. I like your comment on the pole barn. lol

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 31st, 2015, 6:55 pm

Nice toys there Jeffro!
What ya got for a tubing bender?
Last edited by Smokydokey on March 31st, 2015, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 31st, 2015, 7:02 pm

Here's a cooker that I built years ago, just some old stuff I had around mostly a truck wheel and a (farm) disc for the bottom.
We needed some wood cooked meat after a long winter so I dug it out of the snowbank on Sunday.
Attachments
0329151024a.jpg
0329151805a.jpg
thawing it out

Jeffroadams
beginner
beginner

Post by Jeffroadams » March 31st, 2015, 7:14 pm

Smokydokey wrote:Nice toys there Jeffro!
What ya got for a tubing bender?
JD Squared model 3. Makes nice bends and suits my weekend warrior needs. Thinking about building a mount for a hydraulic ram in the near future. Manual bending is starting to kick my ass!

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 31st, 2015, 8:03 pm

RC, the greatest thing about living in south miami when I was a kid was getting my drivers license when I was 14, and then coming home from high school and going fishing on Biscayne Bay. That was 1969 and you could catch anything with a hook and a live shrimp....ANYTHING !

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » April 1st, 2015, 7:21 am

I know what you mean Puff. We go to the Keys every year for a fishing blowout. Because the fishing down there is still amazing. We come home with a freezer full of fillets that last us until we go again. Tuna, Amber jack, Grouper, Yellow tail, Mangroves, then a few un-targeted types.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » April 4th, 2015, 6:55 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428190185.566999.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428190169.345550.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428190144.896381.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428190129.731123.jpg
So, I have been meaning to post for a while. This is the project that got me started welding and fabbing. It started life as a clean 1993 ranger long box with a 4.0 and a 5 speed manual. In the 12 years we have been together it has been a heck of a truck in spite of the massive abuse and hacking that it's owner has put it through. Basically nothing below the frame is stock. It uses pieces from a 6" lift kit, but not as the manufacturer ever intended, since most of the parts they hook to are custom built. The rear is an upgraded ford 8.8 with disk brakes 31 spline shafts 4.56 gears and a Detroit locker. The front suspension is based on a radius arm set up from a 79 f150 using most of the parts from that truck and some custom pieces. The front axle is mostly a Dana 44 from the F150 narrowed 6" with some other parts mixed in so I could have flat top knuckles for hi steer, 4.56 gears, and an eaton e-locker. The body looks pretty stock except some signs of tree contact, but actually the bed and frame have been bobbed off 16" to keep my tail from touching the ground on steep hill climbs. Of course this truck was my crash course in fabbing body protection so I built the bumpers and rock sliders. They look a little rough but they have kept most trees and rocks out of my body for nearly a decade. Some modifications made this truck better and some I wouldn't do again, overall I still love this truck and it is still my daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » April 4th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Look's like fun Mike. I like the solid front axle. Did you shorten it yourself?

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » April 4th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Yep, but I did have a buddy weld the inner c back on. I did not trust that job to my little miller 110. I sent the long axleshaft to Moser Engineering to get it shortened 6" and resplined.

Jeffroadams
beginner
beginner

Post by Jeffroadams » April 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428266032.860673.jpg
Done for now and headed back to its home for some paint.

It'll come back in fall for phase 2. Vortec 4.3, th350 with reverse manual valve body, dual toyota transfer cases and a front 3 link suspension.

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » April 5th, 2015, 4:18 pm

I like it!
Dual t-cases, got enough wb for ok driveshaft angles? What's the reverse manual valve body do? I know what the valve body is, and what manual means, but the reverse part?

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » April 5th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Sammy's can be a lot of fun. That looks like a nice little rig. I used to wheel with a guy that had a Samurai with a 4.3, it was a nice little machine.

Jeffroadams
beginner
beginner

Post by Jeffroadams » April 5th, 2015, 9:40 pm

Smokydokey wrote:I like it!
Dual t-cases, got enough wb for ok driveshaft angles? What's the reverse manual valve body do? I know what the valve body is, and what manual means, but the reverse part?
This first stage I stretched the rear so dual cases shouldn't create a driveline issue. Plus samurai's have a divorced transfer case so that also buys me some room. The front won't be an issue at all. Also the front will get stretched for the 3 link and to accommodate the 4.3. Wheelbase should be around 104" to 106" when I finish it.

A reverse valve body changes the pattern from PRND21 to PRN123 therefore making the shift from 1 to reverse closer. Then the full manual just disables the automatic feature so you have to shift each gear.

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » April 6th, 2015, 3:50 pm

That'll be sweet. Do you have a place nearby to "play" with your rig" This is a rock toy right?

Jeffroadams
beginner
beginner

Post by Jeffroadams » April 6th, 2015, 5:51 pm

I've got about 7 different areas to go to. The closest is about 35 minutes away and the furthest is about 2.5 hrs away. One area is predominately rock but most are mixed terrain.

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » November 6th, 2015, 1:31 pm

I'm not as big on the flying part, but my Dad has been big into this hobby since before I was born, and I've been building flying models since elementary school. I probably have him and these kinds of builds to thank for being able to stick with and finish a smoker build. Here are the latest two:

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » January 12th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Interesting wing style there dude, a thermal wing on a(I'm guessing brushless) powered plane, that would be very stable & easy to fly. I'm more of a 3D king of flyer & with the advances in brushless motors & lithium batteries flying has never been so good. Everything is getting smaller, longer fly times & more reliable, especially upside down, I used to dread stalling when in the middle of doing some acrobatic stuff. I love anything RC, 10th scale electric is what I concentrate on & race but all types are fun.
That being said, I build something completely different, I build large scale aquarium racks for fish, etc. The pics are of one of the racks I have at home, but I've built a lot over the years in both shops & people's homes.

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » January 15th, 2016, 5:10 pm

Squiggle wrote:Interesting wing style there dude, a thermal wing on a(I'm guessing brushless) powered plane, that would be very stable & easy to fly. I'm more of a 3D king of flyer & with the advances in brushless motors & lithium batteries flying has never been so good. Everything is getting smaller, longer fly times & more reliable, especially upside down, I used to dread stalling when in the middle of doing some acrobatic stuff. I love anything RC, 10th scale electric is what I concentrate on & race but all types are fun.
I worked for a mechanical contractor years ago and I learned to appreciate the order of a nice set of manifolds like you have there! (I'm gonna beat the guys to the obvious reply and move on: That's what she said)

I guess the pylon-mount wing style in flying models has been around since at least the late 30's, and I found a kit source that had these two planes. Once I built and flew the smaller one, I had to try it in a larger scale so I built the bigger one. I hadn't built a balsa model in years, and the laser cut kits are a dream to assemble. I like the 3D flying and have some prebuilt bind-and-fly midwing planes that do all the neat tricks, but there's something about watching one of these balsa rigs just hanging silently overhead that just makes me grin like a fool.

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Post by Weldun » January 15th, 2016, 10:50 pm

Since I'm the sponsor,mechanic,coach,driver,critic and cheerleader of my son's motocross racing team I decided on a budget build trailer. I started with a new 7'x16' Stealth Titan trailer, insulated it with 1" foam, installed a 5000 BTU window shaker air conditioner, 120/12 volt power center,marine battery,led lighting and designed and built the folding beds,cabinets and doors. It serves our needs quite well and not to mention how proud my son is of it, he never misses an opportunity to show it to someone at a track and let them now that him and his dad built it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Doc5168
beginner
beginner

Show us what else you build!

Post by Doc5168 » January 15th, 2016, 11:06 pm

If metal is sits on it..

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » February 4th, 2016, 7:26 am

Every time I go to the "steel place" with racks & racks of every shape that you could imagine, I drool like a fool :welder:

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » February 4th, 2016, 7:38 am

I built this log winch/grapple, it started out as 2 "drops" from the "steel place", that is the 2 main 6x6 sq tubes that is the backbone of this thing caught my eye one day while I was walking around and yes, drooling! :homer:
Attachments
DSCN7599 - Version 2.JPG

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » February 4th, 2016, 7:15 pm

That's pretty cool!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 5th, 2016, 1:12 pm

It sure is cool I love to make things that do work

Making memories.

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » February 7th, 2016, 6:33 am

Weldun wrote:Since I'm the sponsor,mechanic,coach,driver,critic and cheerleader of my son's motocross racing team I decided on a budget build trailer.
Looks like you've done that before! (hell of a nice job).