Forum questions and assistance
SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

EXHAUST PIPES - HOW MANY & WHERE

Post by SoloQue » May 28th, 2012, 10:33 am

Here is a topic for open conversation. Is there a perfect location for the exhaust? I have seen the spreadsheets that help calculate exhaust dimensions to achieve air volume needed to match firebox size and cooker chamber but there doesn't seem to be a central agreement on the placement or number of when dealing with exhaust pipes. As for myself (remembering of course that I am also the guy who has never built a smoker in his life) I can see the merits of dual stacks over a single stack since that would, in my mind, spread the heat flow across a wider surface. On the second half of the question, I think I see the plus side of placing the stacks down even with the lowest grate to make the heat "roll" inside the cooking chamber rather than making a bee line for the exit at the top corner. Any thoughts on the subject? :help:

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Re: EXHAUST PIPES - HOW MANY & WHERE

Post by Smokeone » May 28th, 2012, 5:52 pm

My best answer is........................um,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,um, it all works. :exp:

Ok my thought is this, If you use dual stacks, the heat may not spread evenly across the cooker, depending on the style (offset vs RF). It does look cool to have duals, but I dont see the benefit.

I can go either way on grate height exhaust. I agree that it should pull the heat right on top of the grate and help the cooking process, but I dont like it taking up space inside my cooker. I know you could come out the end of the cooker, but I have enough problem not hurting myself without having a hot pipe so convenient to grab a hold of. Just my.02.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Return to “Questions?”