parking lot vending

Forum questions and assistance
DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

parking lot vending

Post by DUAYNE B » August 11th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Howdy, I, m Duayne B and I am a smokaholic......... But really I have a ? About parkinglot vending. When one has all the permits and health okey dokeys, do you precook the food then use your smoker as a warmer, or do you do complete cook in a parkinglot? I will take full detailed answer on this if someone has one. I would like to get my q out there and feed a lot of hungry people... any help is appreciated,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :beer:

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Re: parking lot vending

Post by Smokeone » August 11th, 2013, 8:07 pm

I have not done it myself, but I'll try to offer something. I have a relative who vends and he does both. He cooks the big cuts, the day before, then starts bright and early on the rest. Basically while the ribs and sausage is cooking, he warms his pulled pork and brisket in pans.

Don't know if it is helpful, but it's what I can contribute. :beer:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » August 11th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Cooking today what you will sell tomorrow makes sense….
Not everybody can luck into that moment when everything is just coming off the smoker anyway…. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » August 12th, 2013, 11:59 am

I have a long time friend who sells Q on the side of the road out of an old camper trailer probably 4 days a week. He cooks everything the night before and uses the smoker as a giant warmer. In his words he could easily sell everything out of cambros but the smoker sitting there chugging away on idle is the draw that gets cars to pull in. They really don't seem to care if the rig is full of pans of meat or slabs already stacked 6 high, they usually are too busy asking him questions as to how he cooks and what wood he uses. This guy's Que is mediocre at best but he sells out every day. I guess it's the novelty he is providing.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert

Post by DUAYNE B » August 12th, 2013, 8:08 pm

THANKS for the input, I know the food always taste better the next day. I need to get everything in order, but getting the ball rolling now. Need to go to the city and get all the legal stuff done.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 13th, 2013, 1:10 pm

:beer:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Mettle
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Mettle » August 14th, 2013, 2:35 am

DUAYNE B wrote:THANKS for the input, I know the food always taste better the next day. I need to get everything in order, but getting the ball rolling now. Need to go to the city and get all the legal stuff done.
This is not true, but I would cook the day before also. I would have my que cooking right along with the stuff I was warming. No need to waste a good smoke.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » August 14th, 2013, 5:15 am

I've had the best luck warming up "Q" in a covered disposable pan with a touch of water/spray/etc. to steam/warm it up. About 300F for an hour does a great job and seems very fresh when you open it up….. fwiw :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Return to “Questions?”