Forum questions and assistance
alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Question on draft

Post by alleyrat58 » January 2nd, 2012, 5:10 pm

I was wondering if there is a formula or magic kinship to the size of the firebox hole and the stack? I currently have a 4X11 inch hole from the fire box and two 3 inch stacks. I regress it is a center feed in a 250 gallon oil drum with a 3 inch on both sides. I can hold temp up two 200 degrees real well but it gets real dicifult at 275. Any ideas will help. Thanks. Alleyrat

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Question on draft

Post by Frank_Cox » January 2nd, 2012, 5:21 pm

there is actually. it is based on the air volume required for draft and complete combustion and the cubic inches required to come to balance in all the area's of the smoker. the easiest way to get in the ball park is to use the good ol pit calculator. if you want to get exact... I can help you with that tho. here is a link to the pit calc....
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert

Post by alleyrat58 » January 2nd, 2012, 5:34 pm

Thanks Frank I will let you know how it comesout.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert

Post by alleyrat58 » January 5th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Hey Frank, thanks for that pit calculator. So to expand a little bit, I've had this pit for the last three years and been making mods to it here and there. As i said the tank is 250 gallon, oblong, fuel oil tank and I stood it upright. I want to make it a center-feed reverse flow my firebox is already in the center. I am going to expand the stack to a 6" and hang it over the center of the smoker. I am looking at putting a convection plate in the bottom and leaving @ 2" on the left and right side for the air to flow up from under the convection plate. I was thinking about putting a 3" drop from the center to the outside edge of the convection plate - sort of an A-frame if you will - so the grease will run off into a drain - I also thought that might help spread the heat out to the side.

What's your opinion - do you think that will be too much of an angle? Once the new convection plate is in place I plan to build a gravity-feeder for the firebox and insulate the whole thing. I try and get some pics tomorrow to post of what I have now.

Thanks!!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 5th, 2012, 9:46 pm

If it was me I would only pitch the plate an inch or so to the middle. you want some restriction with the baffle plate gap to keep the draft from going too fast under the plate so the plate has a chance to absorb as much heat as possible to allow for more even cooking temps. I would put a smaller baffle over the hole between the firebox and the cook chamber to shield the baffle plate from direct contact with the flames and direct heat from the firebox.

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert

Post by alleyrat58 » January 6th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Here are the pics of the build we've done over the last three years:

We squared off the front and installed 1/4" doors.

Here is a pic of one side on the inside.

With both doors open

This is the smoke hood we installed 3 years ago, but as you can imagine we still have a very hard time keeping temps even. This little hood is only made of 16 ga steel. My plan is to remove this prior to installing the reverse flow baffle.

We recently cut the rectangular hole from the firebox to the cook chamber to try and get more heat into the box. All it did was make our hotspot hotter and temp control even wilder. Hoping that putting in that baffle will help even that out. Since we've opened up that hole I noticed that the firebox is drafting backwards (out the holes for the fans and around the lid).

We were having problem with the BBQ Guru fans so I built my own fans and power supply and use the BBQ Guru as the brain. It helps, but it isn't great. We had to put some 6" nipple on there to keep the fans farther from the firebox. They kept burning out.

Right now we have 2 3" stacks, which I will be replacing with 1 6" stack in the middle, above the firebox. 6" was the biggest pipe I could find so what I'm going to do is leave enough room to add another 6" stack if necessary.

It's been an adventure thus far. I am hoping to insulate the whole thing before comp season starts back up. Thanks for the advice on the baffle. I'll scale that back to a 1" drop and take your advice on putting a baffle over the throat to keep the flames off the convection plate.

Thanks, Frank! I'm sure I'll be bothering you more as this next set of mods progresses.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » January 6th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Thanks for sharing the pics, looks tomelike u have the starts to an awesome rig. With a few mods here and there you will have a pristine running food factory.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » January 7th, 2012, 6:55 am

Thanks for the pics alleyrat! I think you got the makins of a great smoker there after the "tweeks" and I got a couple ideers just looking it over :-B

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)