Offset smoker

Forum questions and assistance
babyshaq270
beginner
beginner

Offset smoker

Post by babyshaq270 » April 27th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Hail to the smoke meat lovers . I would like to find out if I have a offset smoker and I decide to use a charcoal basket instead of logs how efficient would that be ?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Offset smoker

Post by Big T » April 27th, 2020, 5:34 pm

It really depends on the size of your smoker as to how much charcoal it takes to run it. Also have to figure in the weather conditions as well as how much meat you have on it. I've seen some guys run really big cookers on charcoal but it got really expensive.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 28th, 2020, 12:06 am

I ran a small 16x30 ish smoker on charcoal because that darn pit absolutely hated logs. Never did run on real wood all that well and now sits lonely and unused. I would easily burn 15-20 pounds of lump charcoal on a 5 hour rib cook.

But as mentioned, so many factors with weather and pit efficiency that it’s hard to say what you would use.

To be curious, why do you want to use charcoal?

babyshaq270
beginner
beginner

Post by babyshaq270 » April 28th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Dirtytires wrote:I ran a small 16x30 ish smoker on charcoal because that darn pit absolutely hated logs. Never did run on real wood all that well and now sits lonely and unused. I would easily burn 15-20 pounds of lump charcoal on a 5 hour rib cook.

But as mentioned, so many factors with weather and pit efficiency that it’s hard to say what you would use.

To be curious, why do you want to use charcoal?
I don't have access to a big amount of the kind of wood I use . Well iam from the Caribbean it's hot most days so I think that would be a plus for me.

babyshaq270
beginner
beginner

Post by babyshaq270 » April 28th, 2020, 2:03 pm

Big T wrote:It really depends on the size of your smoker as to how much charcoal it takes to run it. Also have to figure in the weather conditions as well as how much meat you have on it. I've seen some guys run really big cookers on charcoal but it got really expensive.
24" deep,36" wide, 30" high