Hello from the great white north!

Tell us a little about yourself!
sods
beginner
beginner

Hello from the great white north!

Post by sods » July 16th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Hi guys,

Been creeping around for about 6 months now, finally registered and will begin my build soon.

I am from Ontario (go to Detroit and keep on driving), so forgive me if I speak in metric sometimes 😀

But it's ok, because we got great BBQ cooked over maple, and REAL beer too, eh!

Sods

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Hello from the great white north!

Post by Big T » July 16th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Welcome aboard!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 16th, 2018, 9:17 pm

What are you planning to build?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 16th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Welcome.
No problem with metric, I'm fluent in it. ...or is that full of it... eh one of the two.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 17th, 2018, 5:00 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » July 17th, 2018, 5:18 am

Welcome to the crew!

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » July 17th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Welcome aboard! I was just in Ontario last week fishing - an hour north of Thunder Bay at one lake and another lake a fuzz over an hour west at another.

sods
beginner
beginner

Post by sods » July 17th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 9:17 pm
What are you planning to build?
I’m calling it a 240 gallon -ish reverseflow hybrid patio trailer.

I had a 150gal reverseflow trailer I built when I was doing comps, but since having our son 4 yrs ago, it has only left my yard once.

So I decided to build a patio smoker. But I didn’t want a small one, and may want to bring it to friends or family for parties or something, so I want to be able to tow it if required.

I built a carport on my shed for the smoker, effectively a “smokerport” that is 8x10. So the trailer just barely fit, on an angle. I really should have measured it first, since I had the trailer prior to starting the shed.

Anyway, I want to maximize the smoker, without parking on an angle, so my tip to tip needs to be 10’ or less.

And if I keep it skinny without the extra stuff on the side of the trailer, I can have room for other stuff beside it. So I am planning one axle, plus heavy duty casters on the other end. Thinking about removable casters to make rowing easier, but we’ll see.

I have been planning this for about a year, but “the boss” has a one bbq per category limit. So I have a gasser, a kamado, and a hibachi, and a fire pit. So when I wanted to build my new trailer, I had to sell my old one first. It was on kijiji for a year (Canadian craigslist), and finally sold it to a guy who is starting his own catering company.

With a vacancy in my trailer category I set out to find s suitable tank. It is very hard to find them up here, too many safety regulations for propane, and not many places use steel water pipe anymore.

Two days later, my father in law was driving his bus down the highway and happened to see a guy 20min drive from me selling an old compressor tank. I drove over that day and found out he has a whole salvage yard! So I got the tank, 240 gal rated, I read the tag and looked up the model, it seems to be about 580lb per the mfg which puts it at 1/4 Steel, will know for sure when we cut it.

I got it for $200, and I got him to throw in some 1/4” tubing for my smokestack.

As I was leaving I noticed he has a pile of cut off plate steel, enough that I will be back for my RF plate when the time comes.

So with the stars aligning there, it is about 7ft long, less about 6” for the fb cutout, and a 24” ish fb, I am still only 8ft 6”! Almost twice the capacity, in half the footprint! The is efficiency for ya!

This was supposed to be a quick post, but it ended up being a good intro, so I will copy it into its own thread and it can be the beginning of my journey.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 17th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Sorry I asked!

Just kidding. It sounds like a great build and that you have it planned out well. I have to admit, that is one heck of a patio model...makes me feel a bit under-equipped.

Look forward to watching your build.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » July 18th, 2018, 6:41 am

Sounds like a good plan and an WC above the FB would even make for more capacity. oops there I go spending your money. lol

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

sods
beginner
beginner

Post by sods » July 18th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 9:10 pm
Sorry I asked!

Just kidding. It sounds like a great build and that you have it planned out well. I have to admit, that is one heck of a patio model...makes me feel a bit under-equipped.

Look forward to watching your build.
Shhh, dont tell my wife!

Return to “Introduce yourself!”