240 Gallon Hybrid Patio / Trailer Reverse Flow

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
sods
beginner
beginner

240 Gallon Hybrid Patio / Trailer Reverse Flow

Post by sods » July 18th, 2018, 12:22 pm

I’m calling it a 240 gallon -ish reverseflow hybrid patio trailer.

I had a 150gal reverseflow trailer I built when I was doing comps, but since having our son 4 yrs ago, it has only left my yard once.

So I decided to build a patio smoker. But I didn’t want a small one, and may want to bring it to friends or family for parties or something, so I want to be able to tow it if required.

I built a carport on my shed for the smoker, effectively a “smokerport” that is 8x10. So the trailer just barely fit, on an angle. I really should have measured it first, since I had the trailer prior to starting the shed.

Anyway, I want to maximize the smoker, without parking on an angle, so my tip to tip needs to be 10’ or less.

And if I keep it skinny without the extra stuff on the side of the trailer, I can have room for other stuff beside it. So I am planning one axle, plus heavy duty casters on the other end. Thinking about removable casters to make rowing easier, but we’ll see.

I have been planning this for about a year, but “the boss” has a one bbq per category limit. So I have a gasser, a kamado, and a hibachi, and a fire pit. So when I wanted to build my new trailer, I had to sell my old one first. It was on kijiji for a year (Canadian craigslist), and finally sold it to a guy who is starting his own catering company.

With a vacancy in my trailer category I set out to find s suitable tank. It is very hard to find them up here, too many safety regulations for propane, and not many places use steel water pipe anymore.

Two days later, my father in law was driving his bus down the highway and happened to see a guy 20min drive from me selling an old compressor tank. I drove over that day and found out he has a whole salvage yard! So I got the tank, 240 gal rated, I read the tag and looked up the model, it seems to be about 580lb per the mfg which puts it at 1/4 Steel, will know for sure when we cut it.

I got it for $200, and I got him to throw in some 1/4” tubing for my smokestack.

As I was leaving I noticed he has a pile of cut off plate steel, enough that I will be back for my RF plate when the time comes.

So with the stars aligning there, it is about 7ft long, less about 6” for the fb cutout, and a 24” ish fb, I am still only 8ft 6”! Almost twice the capacity, in half the footprint! The is efficiency for ya!

sods
beginner
beginner

Re: 240 Gallon Hybrid Patio / Trailer Reverse Flow

Post by sods » July 18th, 2018, 12:26 pm

My first question to the community: The tank has a few ports that I needed to grind off from the old air connections. There is only one section of the tank that is smooth, so I would like to use that for the door. If I reuse one of the existing holes for the Drain, it will put it about 8" from the firebox. Every RF I have seen has the drain opposite the firebox, likely the prevent the grease from building up on FB side?

Would you guys leave the drain there, or plug it and drill a new hole? I am thinking I need to move it, but wonder if its worth the hassle.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 18th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Put the firebox on the other side? If you really want to keep the existing drain.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

sods
beginner
beginner

Post by sods » July 18th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Well I guess I could do that, it just puts the firebox closer to the axle and wheels. What is the minimum clearance I need from firebox to rubber tires?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 18th, 2018, 7:24 pm

There's not a formula for that but naturally the more space you have the better off you'll be. I would say 10-12'' depending on exactly where the tires are in reference to the FB but you could add a heat shield between them if they were getting too warm. You should sketch something up so that we can see what you have in mind.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » July 18th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Well I guess I could do that, it just puts the firebox closer to the axle and wheels. What is the minimum clearance I need from firebox to rubber tires?
If you put the firebox on the other side (left facing it) and then swing the whole shebang to the right side of the trailer, you'll be good. The firebox will hang over the back. Just depends if you are superstitious about what side you cook on... :D

Of course you could just plug the existing outlet and cut a new one...

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

sods
beginner
beginner

Post by sods » July 19th, 2018, 6:30 am

Smoker.JPG
Here is my Drawing. You can tell I work in Finance as I drew it in Excel, lol.

Key Dimensions:

CC Length 83"
FB Length 24" (Its 28x28x24)
Total Trailer 98" or 8' 2"
Ground Clearance 12"
Grate Height 50" (This seems high...)

Axle is 35" On centre from the left side. I am planning a removable tongue under the FB. This is approximately 70/30 weight for towing, and about 460lb on the casters or tongue if I did the math correctly.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » July 19th, 2018, 7:20 am

First I would say that if you use a drain at all is totally up to you but remember it goes through the open area under the BP and is really draining the BP not the area below. This being said it doesn’t matter where it is located since you will have to push any grease to it anyway. Now about the ground clearance if the FB is in the rear of the trailer you get to lower the whole cooker. I have my FB 2” from the axle and only 4” from the ground sitting level. While traveling I allow the front of the trailer to be lower than the back and it never has a problem only being about 6” clear. As far as the heat I put a back on my fenders to act as a heat deflector. I look at it like this, the top half of the FB gets the hottest so that is the only area I bother with. My rig has been like this a few years and still has the same tires. I have to say that my FB is all 1/2” steel so if it ever hits the road it won’t hurt my FB. But the key is getting it as close as you can behind the axle.

jm2cw

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

sods
beginner
beginner

Post by sods » July 19th, 2018, 9:26 am

When you say “back” on fenders, you mean there is a piece of steel plate along the trailer, or like a mud flap hanging behind the tire?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 19th, 2018, 9:46 am

Like this fender;

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200648972

Except on mine I made the back go down to the of the fender. I tried to take a picture just now of it, but really need to have the tire off to see what I'm talking about.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

sods
beginner
beginner

Post by sods » July 19th, 2018, 9:51 am

Ya, I get, that’s what I thought. Thanks.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 19th, 2018, 1:39 pm

My opinion is to build it like you want to. The time to patch and re cut a hole is minimal compared to the lifespan of the smoker. Don't compromise now as you will regret it for a long time.

And definitely agree with RC...you need to lower the unit on the trailer or a stepladder will be needed to rotate the meat.

sods
beginner
beginner

Post by sods » August 27th, 2018, 9:55 am

Finally, a progress update! my MIG welder crapped out on me, and for the life of me I could fix it. I ended up selling it for $100 as parts. Not bad since I only spend $150 on it to start with.

So I am at my dads place now, using his woodworking shop, as he has a stick welder he inherited from his dad. It's actually kinda nice working in a proper shop for once, instead of my "Pile of junky tools in a shed".

Got the frame of the trailer together, including supports for the removable caster. Also got the axle built, but forgot to take a pic. I was surpised at how attentive and patient my helper was. I expected him to want to weld and then F-off and want to play but he sat with the helmet on, and then helped with the drill press.

I also got the tubing for the removable hitch installed, nothing exciting though, just a 2.5" tube underneath the frame.

One thing I am struggling with. I clearly dont have a proper fabricating shop, no engine hoist or overhead cranes. What is the easiest way to lift the 500lb tank for the CC into position and then weld the supports? In my last build, I had a local guy do it, but he is too busy this time around, so i am on my own.
Attachments
pic4.jpg
Last edited by sods on August 27th, 2018, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 28th, 2018, 3:48 pm

I would probably invest in an engine hoist. They really are not that expensive and have 100 uses.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » August 28th, 2018, 4:25 pm

:yth: without some safe means to lift it, you are headed for hernia territory or worse. Get yourself an engine hoist or mobile gantry or similar.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 28th, 2018, 7:12 pm

:yth: :yth: Even if you're on a budget, it's cheaper than messing up your back or worse.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 31st, 2018, 3:44 pm

Well I agree that you will NEED a piece of equipment at some point to get it up on the trailer. But there’s a lot you can do until then. Roll it upside down and weld the supports on and roll it onto the supports and cut the door and do all the inside work along with the stack. By the time you get all that done you will have had time to either work out borrowing the equipment or buying it.

Just an idea.

Making memories!