Smoker out of a 80 gallon compressor tank

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
WHeydet
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Re: Smoker out of a 80 gallon compressor tank

Post by WHeydet » July 26th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Smoke_savage-- I put it at the highest I could figuring it would help with the draw. I've been cooking on this alot since I built it, the top shelf is about 50 degrees hotter then the bottom. I don't know how the stack being farther in would affect it if it would make it hotter or not. What is the advantage to making stack at grill level?
12Ring-- That's what i used, rust-o-leum high heat. No i didn't cover it... I recommend covering it mine has rust on it now. I will have to wire wheel and paint again once i put up a cover for it.

All in all this is a great smoker! Really efficient and I think I have it dialed in pretty well. But.....I Have a 30"x 50" pipe and a 24" x 29" pipe for firebox coming through by means of my brother so the next one is going to be on a trailer! probably start next one in the next few months.

WHeydet

Post by WHeydet » July 29th, 2018, 8:31 am

Well here is the material just dropped off by my brother in law. Unbelievably awesome! He must really like my BBQ! 30" .375 thick 12' long and 24" .375 thick pieces. I will start a new thread on this build. I am going to be looking for help with experience on warmer boxes. Other things too.
Attachments
image000001.jpg
image000000_02.jpg

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 29th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Very nice. I’m super happy with my patio model from 24” pipe but agree a trailer model looks awesome at 30”.

Since you want a warmer, you might just consider going square for firebox and warmer and making them out of one piece. I know it’s hard to no use free material but a round warmer is not ideal and a square warmer on a round firebox is difficult.

But great score...I’ll take 6 foot of the 30” if you decide. It to use it!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 29th, 2018, 1:18 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » July 30th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Really nice build on the 80 man! What are the cook chamber dimensions? And what diameter stack did you go with? I’m at that point in deciding that on my build

WHeydet

Post by WHeydet » July 31st, 2018, 7:42 am

The inside racks are 23"x48"bottom 17"x48"top. I put a 6" dia pipe for stack. This one is really efficient. The top rack gets hotter then bottom by almost 70° not sure how I could fix that. Thought about a small vent but not sure. Side by side is within 5° with some plates I put in to hold some heat at the far end away from FB. Honestly for first build it was a huge success. Now looking to build two more as I think one of my co-workers wants to buy the 80 gallon.