My Center Feed Smoker Build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: My Center Feed Smoker Build

Post by Rodcrafter » July 18th, 2018, 6:35 am

I know the feeling of wanting to build another one. Always wanting to do something new. I got caught in a rain one time and it made me build an cover over my whole trailer rig. Now I just added hydraulics to that to raise the sides. Yes it never seems to stop but that's ok.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Weyrider
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Weyrider » September 9th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Well it's been 6 weeks since I posted, in that time I have tried smoking a pork butt, that came out very well, but I should have trimmed more off it. Had pulled pork sandwiches for a week. Also I have done beer butt chickens, one didn't make it due to my mistake of using lighter fluid. The second one was fantastic. Instead of beer, I used apple juice with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg added and poured into an empty diet Coke can. I have attended 6 rib cooking contests purely as a spectator, but I have talked to all the cooks and I find they are willing to give out a few secrets. The thing they don't discuss is rubs and sauces.
The photos below are some of the items that I have smoked this summer.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

8-x 8-x 8-x 8-x 8-x 8-x 8-x

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 9th, 2018, 8:20 pm

That's some good looking grub!! :needfood: BBQ comps are full of secrets but everyone has different secrets so there has to be more than one way. I cook full racks of spares at home, 250-275 degrees, no wrap and it usually takes about 4-4.5 hours depending on the rack, every once in a while a rack will go a little longer but not often. You'll just have to figure out what rubs and sauces that you and your family like and go from there. I live in lower Alabama and 99% of the sauces down here are thick and sweet but we found a thin vinegar sauce that's made local and we really like it. If I do wrap them, I usually go 2-1- .5 and put a little apple juice in the foil, I don't care for the brown sugar,honey and butter on my ribs but a lot of guys do. The great thing about ribs is that they are fairly inexpensive so you can try different things until you figure it out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.