Hello from Ireland

Tell us a little about yourself!
Bennymcorr
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Hello from Ireland

Post by Bennymcorr » October 3rd, 2018, 8:02 am

I’ve been thinking about building my own smoker for some time. I was originally thinking about building a offset reverse flow horizontal smoker but we have a small back yard with only a pedestrian gate to get around there. I had used the calculators on this site to design all the elements. My design evolved to a reverse flow vertical smoker with the FB below the CC.
I work in the office of a commercial glazing company so I have access to (and program) sheet metal cutting laser, folding machine and guillotine. We also have MIG and TIG welding equipment, I don’t weld though (Someone will be getting lots of BBQ). Because of this access I want to make a rectangular vertical smoker. Plus it would be easier to get into my backyard.
I will have to make whatever smoker I build insulated as I have a 1 year old mini me running around. Plus I want to use the smoker all year round. It also has to be robust enough to live outside all year round.
I have evolved my build to an insulated offset vertical smoker. I was thinking about putting an oven above the FB but I don’t know how well this will work.
I have used the pit calculators on here to calculate for an offset horizontal smoker but I can’t find any for an offset vertical smoker. Can the calculators be used for either?
I’m going to use 1/4inch (6mm) for the FB and I was going to use 1/8 for the CC. I may put 1/4 around the connection of the FB &CC. What do you guys think?

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Hello from Ireland

Post by towtruck » October 3rd, 2018, 10:05 am

Sounds like you are on your way to designing what you want. Kick back and let the folks here bounce your ideas around and you will get it figured out. They helped me stay on track. Oh....Welcome!

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » October 3rd, 2018, 4:18 pm

Welcome to the crew.
Having access to laser cutting, bending and welding equipment definitely puts you a step ahead. And as you say, you can always bribe someone to weld it up for you.
Depending on how big you want to go, but have you had a look at the GF mini? It is insulated (although the firebox door does get hot), small and you can get a fair bit of tucker in the cook chamber. Just a thought, but if you want to design your own thing, go for it. The folks here are very helpful and will give you pointers and help when / if you get stuck.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 3rd, 2018, 6:03 pm

Welcome aboard!! The calculator is for an offset, to my knowledge a calculator doesn't exist for a vertical smoker. I also would recommend taking a look at the GF smokers if you haven't already done so.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » October 3rd, 2018, 6:38 pm

And what part of Ireland?

I've been there twice. G/f & I were there a few years back, car toured the southern half for 11 days (drank like fish, and still couldn't hold a candle to the locals.) We might be going back to Dublin in a year, but my job situation might be ruling that out.

I'd second the gravity fed recommendations at least as a consideration. You said a pedestrian gate..... how wide, and what sort of condition is the walk back to the yard? My double pan gravity fed weighs in around 500kg and really does not like anything except a very hard surface. Personally..... go heavier on your firebox if you can. Rock wool insulation in all of the cavities should make the exterior fairly safe, except for the firebox/ash door. Skin.... mine is skinned in 3.175mm stock, that's a lot heavier than necessary, but easier for a novice welder to work with. Probably not a concern if you're bribing someone with smoky goodness.

Oh, and Guinness or Murphy's? :D

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 4th, 2018, 3:26 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » October 4th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Welcome.
Looking forward to following your build.
Post lots of pictures when you get started.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 20th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Welcome to the crew!

I agree with other guys the GF Mini is probably your best rig.

https://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?m ... 20d81bbd10

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Introduce yourself!”