Mini GF Performance

Also called Stump's Clone.
cinelk
beginner
beginner

Mini GF Performance

Post by cinelk » October 14th, 2018, 11:31 am

I am going to build the mini GF. How consistent is the tempature within the CC of the mini? If there are variances within the mini CC what should I expect. How does the performance of the mini compare to the Stumps baby xl or Assassin 17 or 24? Thanks.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Re: Mini GF Performance

Post by pr0wlunwoof » October 14th, 2018, 11:50 am

I'm sure the answer to this depends on the running temperature and allotted time for preheat. I would be willing to say mine has less than a 5 degree temp difference within the cc when running at 225. At higher temps their would probably be a slightly higher variation as the firebox radiant heat would be higher, but that would be only speculation. I would strongly suggest getting a digital controller and fan to run the gravity feed. I wouldn't build another without one after having mine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cinelk
beginner
beginner

Post by cinelk » October 14th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I typically cook at 275. I agree on the digital controller. I run one on my BGE and it is awesome. Would I be able to attach it to the air intake valve?

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » October 14th, 2018, 12:44 pm

cinelk wrote:I typically cook at 275. I agree on the digital controller. I run one on my BGE and it is awesome. Would I be able to attach it to the air intake valve?
Absolutely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » October 14th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I think it will maintain temp better than your bge. You wont smoke on the bge after you have ur mini. I will almost guaranteed you that.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » October 17th, 2018, 3:50 am

Ditto on the temp controller. If you get one right away you won't have to spend the money on the 2" ball valve.

okcsmith
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by okcsmith » October 20th, 2018, 7:41 am

I am planning on mini build too-do you have a picture of controller install without valve?

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » October 20th, 2018, 8:19 am

Basically the idea is you can, instead of the ball valve threaded onto the pipe nipple you put a coupling. Then you can thread a reducer into the coupling. I use the BBQGuru Pit Viper fan, just because they have done all the work and make adapters for anything I can think of putting my Heatermeter on. In this case they make the adapter that threads right into the coupling/ball valve. I however would still suggest running a ball valve as well. Depending on your blower motor setup, you still want to be able to completely shut off all air flow to the smoker when you are ready to shut it down.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » October 20th, 2018, 9:26 am

I just unscrew the adapter and thread in a plug. No ball valve on mine.

Edit: Besides, the BBQ Guru adapter comes with a silicon rubber plug.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

cinelk
beginner
beginner

Post by cinelk » October 21st, 2018, 9:58 am

Are there any recommended modifications to the mini plans? I manage a nice sized sheet metal fab shop and fortunate to have a lot of tools available to me. I will be cutting on a 6kw fiber laser and bending on a 150T press brake as needed. Please let me know if you all have any recommendations. I decided to build the mini over an offset cabinet style cooker based on the set it and forget it advantage the mini will provide.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » October 21st, 2018, 1:23 pm

Removable firebox grate. If you don't make any other changes, weld up a removable firebox grate. It'll allow you to shake off the ashes during a smoke, dump the chute in case of a runaway and easy to empty the chute without a fire.

If you're going to add a firebox controller, build a pocket to hold it above the air inlet.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » October 21st, 2018, 3:18 pm

Removable shelf, storage under unit, removable ash pan, port for temp probes. Really depends on what you want. The removable grate is pretty much required. At least you have the required tools available. Not a bad idea to look at other build threads for ideas. You may consider using the brake to fold the sides rather than weld all the corners, but I think you have more experience than I do.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » October 21st, 2018, 3:28 pm

Most useful addition I have is the ash pan for the fire box. I was gonna put the lower storage shelf on but never did. Making it taller is helpful so food is more at eye level.

mp4
Expert
Expert

Post by mp4 » October 27th, 2018, 3:46 am

I made the stand taller on mine and if I made another one I would make the cc 3-4 inches taller so I could space the racks out a fuzz more. Right now large butts are a tight squeeze between the racks.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 27th, 2018, 4:15 am

mp4 wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 3:46 am
Right now large butts are a tight squeeze between the racks.
=)) =)) =))

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 27th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Good catch Pete....I missed that one!

mp4
Expert
Expert

Post by mp4 » October 28th, 2018, 6:38 am

I figured that would get a rise from someone...I figured The Czar would be 1st to pounce!

Bricklayer2
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Masonry Contractor

Post by Bricklayer2 » October 28th, 2018, 7:03 am

cinelk wrote:
October 21st, 2018, 9:58 am
Are there any recommended modifications to the mini plans? I manage a nice sized sheet metal fab shop and fortunate to have a lot of tools available to me. I will be cutting on a 6kw fiber laser and bending on a 150T press brake as needed. Please let me know if you all have any recommendations. I decided to build the mini over an offset cabinet style cooker based on the set it and forget it advantage the mini will provide.
Now that is just not fair. 150T Press Brake {Tools we love tools} :D

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » October 28th, 2018, 7:12 am

mp4 wrote:I made the stand taller on mine and if I made another one I would make the cc 3-4 inches taller so I could space the racks out a fuzz more. Right now large butts are a tight squeeze between the racks.
Yeah it is tight if your trying to cook all 3 racks with butts. I have yet to have the demand. I did add a couple more rails and change the rack design a little based on material I had left over. I hope I get to the point I need more cc space, but 4 butts feed an army as it is and I dont know how many disciples I need fawning over my BBQ skillz.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » October 28th, 2018, 7:19 am

I used some square tubing and channel for my rack guides. Put rails every 3 inches down starting at 4 inches from the top. This configuration let's you move racks to fit taller things like turkeys or shorter things like briskets and halved chickens Dunno if it added any functionality, but it made me feel like I was being creative and personalizing the design a bit.Image

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 28th, 2018, 11:48 am

There is no 100% correct answer or a wrong one. Try it and see if it works for you. If not, quides are easy enough to cut off and move.

cinelk
beginner
beginner

Post by cinelk » October 31st, 2018, 11:28 am

What does everyone think of the slam latch that is specified in the mini plan. Seems like everyone goes with the slam latch, but I noticed others like Stump and Assassin use toggle pull latches. Seems like the pull latches will ensure a better seal. Seems like this could easily be incorporated into the mini plan, just make the door a little wider and put the hinges on the right side. What does everyone think?
2018-10-31_12-11-05.jpg
Pull Toggle vs slam latch
2018-10-31_12-11-05.jpg (15.54 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 31st, 2018, 2:37 pm

Either would work. Drawback on pull latches is that they take a little more work (2 hands) to close.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » October 31st, 2018, 3:00 pm

I think the slam latch gives it a little shazam factor. Both ways work and the pull latches are allot less money. That slam latch is cool though and you can use your hip or foot or beer to close it when you need too.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”