If You Could Build it Over Again - All GF Builds!

Also called Stump's Clone.
bvbull200
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ

If You Could Build it Over Again - All GF Builds!

Post by bvbull200 » November 1st, 2018, 1:55 pm

I, along with a couple other knuckleheads ;) will be attempting a Double Pan build towards the end of this year or first thing next in January (plans are in hand!). I've been lurking this site for a bit and reading, reading, reading. There are tons of EXCELLENT builds. Great craftsmanship from this board's members - not to mention a lot of expertise and input.

That said, hindsight is 20/20, and I wanted to see what folks would have done in the initial build if they could do it all over again. This is equal parts "I wish I would have..." and "I'm so glad that I...". What mods, build strategies, parts choices, etc. did you like that you would definitely do again? Any you didn't do that you now see some value in?

So far, our planned modifications to the Double Pan plans are:

- Recess on the charcoal chute side to house the temp controller
- Access to the CC for the probes (considering threaded pipe with a gasket when in use and a cap when not in use)
- Swivel Casters on all 4 corners
- D-Rings for tie down
- Possibly a removable/collapsible side shelf
- A pole holder on back to hold an umbrella in the rain and to fly a flag in the sunshine :D

Maybe extra rack guides to give more flexibility in the CC?
Channel down the chimney side for fan/power wires?
Ball-valve intake + threaded pipe intake to allow manual/automatic temp controlling?

I look forward to the discussion. Thank you all for the insight.

Attached is a picture of beef ribs to get your attention :D

Edit: Meant "charcoal chute" rather than "chimney" in the first bullet point. Thank you ajfoxy for pointing it out!
Last edited by bvbull200 on November 2nd, 2018, 8:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: If You Could Build it Over Again - All GF Builds!

Post by ajfoxy » November 1st, 2018, 4:28 pm

Presumably by "chimney" you mean charcoal chute?
All your "mods" are good.
My only real regret when building my DP was not to skip weld the outer skins. I had a LOT of warpage. So skip or stitch weld the outer skin. Or do as Frank and the boys did with the newest "Ikea style" DP. bolt or screw the outer skin on.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

bvbull200
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by bvbull200 » November 1st, 2018, 4:58 pm

ajfoxy wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 4:28 pm
Presumably by "chimney" you mean charcoal chute?
All your "mods" are good.
My only real regret when building my DP was not to skip weld the outer skins. I had a LOT of warpage. So skip or stitch weld the outer skin. Or do as Frank and the boys did with the newest "Ikea style" DP. bolt or screw the outer skin on.
I did. I keep conflating those two terms. Thanks for the correction (I've edited the original post).

Thanks for the tip on welding the outer skins. Added to the list of things to keep in mind!

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 2nd, 2018, 1:01 am

For accessing cables into the smoke chamber instead of a pipe, use one or two of these or something similiar

watertight cable glands

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

okcsmith
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by okcsmith » November 2nd, 2018, 6:30 am

Can anyone recommend a way to attach something to lift it up with if you want to hoist it into s trailer or truck? Novice welder in middle of build but would like to move it with hoist or tractor

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » November 2nd, 2018, 7:07 am

<snicker> Look through viewtopic.php?f=149&t=6480&sid=029c9c96 ... 60ba8eda2e for my lift points. I've lifted mine a couple of times with a skid-steer, and that's purely intentional. They also worked quite well as trailer tie-downs on a 1,300 mile round trip.

I don't think I have enough insulation around my firebox, I think the sides are a little warmer than I'd like around the firebox.. I'm starting to get tempted to cut the plate out and add more.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

okcsmith
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by okcsmith » November 2nd, 2018, 11:49 am

looked but did not see pics?

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » November 2nd, 2018, 12:12 pm

okcsmith wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 11:49 am
looked but did not see pics?
Page 3 of that above thread shows the tie down/ lifting d ring. I believe you can also use a piece of steel and a chain ran thru the chimney for lifting purposes just be careful not to damage the inner skin

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » November 2nd, 2018, 1:48 pm

If you're going to lift through the chimney, wrap the chain, cable, rope, etc. around a 2x4 that will cross as much of the cook chamber, and spread the load across as much of the interior skin as you can.

Yes, pics start on page 3. Short story is that I mounted a reinforcing plate on the inside of the frame members, drilled through the frame member & plate, welded in 1/4" ID tubing as anti-crush sleeves, tack welded nuts on the inside, then bolted the lifting points on the exterior. It might be just a bit of overkill.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Post by Weldun » November 2nd, 2018, 5:46 pm

The only thing I did change on my mini was the use of four swivel casters, I found it to be a pain in the butt to push/pull and steer so I swapped two of them with fixed casters.

Other than that I've been thrilled with mine.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Doc's Kick Butt BBQ, Not competing yet...

Post by KarateDoc » November 4th, 2018, 7:01 pm

My build has many of the mods that you suggest. The only changes I would like would be to put a catch pan in front for when I pull the trays forward to catch drippings.

You should also install a rotisserie. My build has one.

Post up pics.

Looks at a piece of meat and wonders how many ways can I smoke that.

Here is my build of the Stump's Clone viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5280

okcsmith
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by okcsmith » November 5th, 2018, 1:26 pm

got pictures of that rotisserie?

Texasbowhunter
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Texasbowhunter » November 6th, 2018, 12:39 pm

I would chime in and say I agree with all of the above...If I was to do it over again I would opt to address a tube to route the wires for the temperature probes whether it be for the CC or the food...
A recess for the temperature controller would be something I would also consider...however not a deal breaker...
paul

bvbull200
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by bvbull200 » November 20th, 2018, 11:46 am

JKalchik wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 7:07 am
<snicker> Look through viewtopic.php?f=149&t=6480&sid=029c9c96 ... 60ba8eda2e for my lift points. I've lifted mine a couple of times with a skid-steer, and that's purely intentional. They also worked quite well as trailer tie-downs on a 1,300 mile round trip.

I don't think I have enough insulation around my firebox, I think the sides are a little warmer than I'd like around the firebox.. I'm starting to get tempted to cut the plate out and add more.
I've done plenty of reading through that thread. Great build. I like the way you attached you lift points.

I'll be doing something similar, not so much for 'lifting' but for pulling with a winch and for tying down.

bvbull200
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by bvbull200 » November 20th, 2018, 11:48 am

Weldun wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 5:46 pm
The only thing I did change on my mini was the use of four swivel casters, I found it to be a pain in the butt to push/pull and steer so I swapped two of them with fixed casters.

Other than that I've been thrilled with mine.
Four swivels were a bad idea? I suppose getting all of them pointing the same direction could be an issue. I'm torn between the ease of moving across longer distances in a straight line (2 fixed + 2 swivel) and the ease of moving in tight quarters (4 swivel).

If getting up in to an area on the porch of a trailer, I can see where having 4 swivels is a help. The area might be tight and the added maneuverability would be helpful.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » November 20th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Shoot, there's something I didn't mention that I consider a must-have: a removable firebox grate. If nothing else, it'll let you knock the ash down from the fire (I've been getting some ash bridging, choking off the fire.) It'll also let you dump a runaway, or simply empty the charcoal chute.

Freejack
beginner
beginner

Post by Freejack » December 21st, 2018, 12:47 pm

ajfoxy wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 4:28 pm
We went that route on my smoker. The experience in welding the interior panels led to the decision to screw the exterior panels in place, then seal the seams with silicone. Actually it gives the smoker a sort-of old-school boiler look.

ImageUntitled by Jacob Schnarre, on Flickr

Jake

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » December 21st, 2018, 1:18 pm

I've been seriously thinking about one more modification before I paint mine: handles/rails on both ends to push and pull with. Just a bracket welded on with about a 1" steel pipe between.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » December 21st, 2018, 1:23 pm

bvbull200 wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 11:46 am
I'll be doing something similar, not so much for 'lifting' but for pulling with a winch and for tying down.
Personally, I'd be concerned about a horizontal winch pull from that high up on the smoker. If the casters catch for any reason, there's a not insignificant chance of pulling it over (and that'd be a bad day.) When I winched mine onto a trailer, I did wrap a strap around the smoker just above the firebox to minimize the tip risk.

bvbull200
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by bvbull200 » December 21st, 2018, 3:00 pm

JKalchik wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 1:23 pm
bvbull200 wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 11:46 am
Personally, I'd be concerned about a horizontal winch pull from that high up on the smoker. If the casters catch for any reason, there's a not insignificant chance of pulling it over (and that'd be a bad day.) When I winched mine onto a trailer, I did wrap a strap around the smoker just above the firebox to minimize the tip risk.
Agreed. I wouldn't be putting the anchors that high up and may consider doing two sets. One a little ways up for tying down and another set lower for winching.

Good catch and thanks for the input!

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Post by Weldun » December 21st, 2018, 7:14 pm

JKalchik wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 1:18 pm
I've been seriously thinking about one more modification before I paint mine: handles/rails on both ends to push and pull with. Just a bracket welded on with about a 1" steel pipe between.

For an economical ss handle these aren't a bad option

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Moen-Home-Care ... gJ2wvD_BwE

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"