First fire in the pit

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Jasonadams1979
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

First fire in the pit

Post by Jasonadams1979 » December 10th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Finally seasoned the pit, then did a test run the next day to see how it ran. At this point I hadn't built my fire basket so I used one I had for my UDS build (modified slightly) which worked ok but not as good as I wanted. Did Frank's minion method with charcoals then threw some oak and pecan splits on. Once it got up to around 250 it did well, small difference on temp from end to end, maybe 20 degrees at most. Had my thermoworks digital, slightly different temp but not much. I decided to throw on 2 racks of spares once it was going for awhile. The small basket In my opinion made it difficult to get the coal bed I thought I should have. Being new to my pit I let it drop down to 200 on me once or twice by not staying with it like I should have but got it back up with a little work. Ribs came out pretty good for my 1st run even with some fire issues. I did some research and decided to build a v-shaped basket like some of you guys talked about in a few post. Still have a couple things to add and try out this new basket soon. For now here's a few basket pics and Q pics!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Re: First fire in the pit

Post by Chromeski » December 10th, 2018, 10:23 pm

Pit looks good and so do the ribs. I don't know if a larger basket will help you or not, but either way you will need to play with it to figure out what works

Jasonadams1979
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Jasonadams1979 » December 10th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Chromeski wrote:Pit looks good and so do the ribs. I don't know if a larger basket will help you or not, but either way you will need to play with it to figure out what works
Thanks Chromeski, I think it was mainly how I had the other basket setup, too low and not enough air flow under my coals . It was pretty much sitting on the bottom of the fire box, I knew better but I was just ready to cook something lol. This new basket will or should I say hopefully works like I want, just gotta learn my pit [emoji109]

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » December 10th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Basket looks good. And as you say it will be off the bottom so air flow should be better. Only one way to find out... fire it up and cook some more. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 10th, 2018, 11:37 pm

Nice basket and those ribs look good enough to eat! :needfood: There's always a learning curve when you build a new pit but if you stick with it, you'll figure it out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 11th, 2018, 6:15 am

:yth:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » December 11th, 2018, 7:02 am

It looks awesome to me - nice work!

Jasonadams1979
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Jasonadams1979 » December 17th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Thanks guys! I dont know If yall saw my post on (fire management questions) but I'll take all the advice I can get on how to run these pits [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

Blondy_UK
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by Blondy_UK » December 30th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Ribs look nice, they are just like the one's in the UK but with meat on them, lol. I am making a 'v' basket to try also when i have time and better weather.

tjsnyder

Post by tjsnyder » March 29th, 2019, 10:54 pm

What diameter is your CC? Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”