Hello, I'm Charles

Tell us a little about yourself!
chuckyb816
beginner
beginner

Hello, I'm Charles

Post by chuckyb816 » December 29th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Hello eveyone, my name is Charles and I am new to this forum. I have been wanting to build a GF smoker for a while and recently had the time to sit down and do some research. This research lead me to many great forums but I have enjoyed reading and looking at the past builds by a lot of you guys here on smokebuilder.com and decided to join.

Today I purchased the plans for the Mini Single Pan GF Smoker from smokerplans.net and plan on getting started on it the third or fourth week in January.

I will continue to reference the past mini GF builds on the forum, which all look great from what I have seen, but am wanting to know if there are any tips or tricks that could make this build go easier for me?

Second I live in the Dallas, TX area and am wanting to know if there are any good metal yards in the area? I currently use Eagle still in Hutchins, TX, but am curious if anyone in the DFW area knows of a better yard or even a scrap yard where I may be able to find some good used steel.

Lastly is there a bill of materials for the accessories used in this build? I went to the link in the drawings, but it just takes you to the home page for bbqsmokersupply.com. I was hoping they would have a section on their site dedicated to this build where I could just order everything needed from one page. If there isn't its all good. The drawings call out parts and if I have any questions I can just ask.

Thanks for having me.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Hello, I'm Charles

Post by towtruck » December 29th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Welcome! Be sure and posts pics of your build once you start.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 29th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Welcome aboard!! I'll try to post a link but if it doesn't work you can go to bbqsmokersupply.com and click on the tab that says other it'll take you to the complete kits for the GF smokers. https://bbqsmokersupply.com/other/compl ... -kits.html

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Stewart
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Stewart » December 29th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Hello and welcome to the fold.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 30th, 2018, 12:41 am

Happy building...glad to have you.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 30th, 2018, 5:39 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 30th, 2018, 9:54 am

Howdy Charles!!
Welcome aboard!!!
Actually, our other site went live Wednesday. You can get everything from us.
Message me here—-> https://m.me/smokerplans and I’ll get everything sorted for ya. I have the bill of materials also that I can send ya!

chuckyb816
beginner
beginner

Post by chuckyb816 » December 30th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Big T wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 9:53 pm
Welcome aboard!! I'll try to post a link but if it doesn't work you can go to bbqsmokersupply.com and click on the tab that says other it'll take you to the complete kits for the GF smokers. https://bbqsmokersupply.com/other/compl ... -kits.html
Thanks. The link does work. I will check it out.

chuckyb816
beginner
beginner

Post by chuckyb816 » December 30th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Thank you all for the welcome and I will be sure to post plenty of pictures.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » December 31st, 2018, 3:45 am

I'm currently working on a mini build myself ( gonna take me a while). Since I get very little time to work on mine it's gonna take a while.
Depending on your available equipment, time and skill level you may consider getting some of the steel cut for you. Those little smokers have lots of small parts. I bought the kit and a few other parts from the site, but sourced the insulation local fire cheaper. Make sure to get wheels that are up to the task the gf gets heavy.
Read thru the plans a few times before you start I think it helps.

chuckyb816
beginner
beginner

Post by chuckyb816 » January 7th, 2019, 9:24 am

Thanks for the tips @chromeski

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » January 7th, 2019, 10:45 am

Hi, Charles. Welcome aboard.

My biggest personal recommendation is a removable firebox grate, rather than a fixed grate in the bottom of the firebox. I've discovered with my double pan that I need to remove the grate every 20-40 lbs. of natural hardwood lump charcoal as I get "non-burnable" material on top of the grate (yes, I know... may have to try a different brand....) Without the removable grate, those would be nearly impossible to remove. A removable grate also allows you to shake it and knock down the ash during a burn. Worst case, it will also allow you to dump the fire and shovel it out of the ashbox if you have a run-away.

While these gravity fed smokers work awfully well with nothing more than a ball valve for control, have you considered an automatic temperature controller?

Chromeski's suggestion to get the sheet precut is dead on. In hindsight, I should have done that, it caused me more grief than I would have though possible by trying to economize a bit.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

chuckyb816
beginner
beginner

Post by chuckyb816 » January 10th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Thanks for the insight jkalchik.

From looking at other builds, the removable great will be a must have.

I have reached out to Frank for the cut sheet. Waiting to get that and BOM from him.

Plan on purchasing the square tubing this weekend and getting started on the frame. Will create another feed and post pics there.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”