Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Post by pr0wlunwoof » June 9th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Shoulder roast and short ribs.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » June 9th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Mmmm nice.... :beer: :needfood: :beer: :needfood: :beer:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 9th, 2018, 9:30 pm

:yth: :needfood:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » June 9th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Hey that looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 10th, 2018, 12:44 am

This has progressed from a great build topic to a cooking topic....maybe it is time to start a new post in the food section?

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » June 10th, 2018, 9:57 am

Fair Enough. Future Q-view found here:

http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... =35&t=6613

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » December 31st, 2018, 10:16 pm

Just read all the way through this thread. It has been a great year. Lot of work, lot of bbq, and a ton of fun. Thanks to everyone for their help and encouragement. If anyone is on the fence about buying the plans and building one I would highly encourage you to take the leap and jump on in. Building something of this magnitude and caliber really teaches you something about yourself. Especially if it's not what you do on a daily basis. Again thanks to everyone and look for my posts in The food forum. Happy New Year!

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » January 23rd, 2019, 6:56 pm

Thanks for posting your build it has helped me to decide that I really want a GF smoker. But I’m stuck on which to build the mini GF or the single cabinet GF. The DP GF is way to big.
Do you know what the size difference is between the mini and the single cabinet GF smoker is. I am in the UK so haven’t seen these smokers in person.
What are your burn times.
Is there anything you would change if you built another

Well done again on your build

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » January 23rd, 2019, 8:54 pm

I dithered over building the mini vs. the double pan. They're both awfully fuel efficient, there's little difference in operating cost as long as charcoal doesn't go to $10/kilo. Personally, I have the space to keep a double pan, so that doesn't help. I built a double pan because I do occasionally cook for large groups (60-70 people,) and the mini would be on the edge for that, the double pan is comfortable. The double pan will be more expensive up front in terms of raw materials and (maybe to a lesser extent,) time.

One of these days, I really do have to finish it.... and build the trailer cradle....

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » January 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm

I am not 100% sure the exact size difference. I can get 21-24 hours on a whole chute of charcoal at 225. That's the cheap bricks which is the only thing I use. If I were to do it over again at this point I wouldn't change much. Would probably put the gasket on the door before welding the hinges and figure out how to lay it on it's back. I like how I did my racks as a finished product, but I wouldn't go through the pain again. The skinning would go better as I have learned the value of stitch welding. I wouldn't of built bigger at this point. I mainly cook for the family and I cook way to much at one time as is. I highly encourage you to get the dxf file and get the sheet metal cut. Also get a chop saw for the square tubing, cutting it any other way is no fun. It's a huge time commitment and it's not cheap, but I thoroughly enjoy cooking on it . No one I know has anything that comes close to compare. The big green egg guys stop bragging after I show them a picture.

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » January 24th, 2019, 12:28 am

Thanks you for your replies. I will get the mini and also the dxf cutting list with it. Just wondering what the cost is to have it cut. Did you just get the sheet metal cut and cut the rest yourself.

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » January 24th, 2019, 6:07 am

Where are you located? In NC it cost me 3 sheets of 16ga and $150 to have the skins cut.

I want to think Frank has some of the Mini parts pre cut for sale. Depending on where you live, it may be a solid route to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » January 24th, 2019, 7:58 am

BurnBern wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 12:28 am
Thanks you for your replies. I will get the mini and also the dxf cutting list with it. Just wondering what the cost is to have it cut. Did you just get the sheet metal cut and cut the rest yourself.
Pretty much. The dxf files lay the cuts out on whole sheets of 16 gauge and 1/4 inch. You should be able to take the dxf to a machine/welding shop with a plasma table and get them cut. Cost is gonna vary by who you know and what they know etc. I can get the cuts done for cheap cause I have a friend of a friend who owes favors etc. The bars I cut with a chop saw.

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » January 24th, 2019, 10:51 am

Thanks for the info. Yesterday I bought the plans with the cutting file. I’ve sent it off to a company to get a quote. I’ll let you know the price once I know.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » January 24th, 2019, 11:30 am

@pr0wlunwoof: his suggestion of getting the sheet cut using the DXF file is a good one. In hindsight, I should have done that, and it's caused me some issues.

I have a power band saw that I used to get good square cuts on the structural tube. You want to get the cuts as square/accurate as possible.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » February 20th, 2019, 10:46 am

BurnBern wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 10:51 am
Thanks for the info. Yesterday I bought the plans with the cutting file. I’ve sent it off to a company to get a quote. I’ll let you know the price once I know.

They ever give you a price?

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » February 20th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Hi yes it was £760 excl vat for the standard cut and £880 + vat for the added 6inchs in height. That did not include the tubing. I eventually got them to cut the firebox and chute only but I’m going to build the mini with an added 6 inches. The reason is that I’ll be converting all the measurements to metric and there’s bound to a difference in them. So idea is to build the framework and then cut the plate to size myself.

Diggerg
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
BBQ Comp Team Name: Smoking and building in the UK.

Post by Diggerg » February 20th, 2019, 2:19 pm

BurnBern wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 12:44 pm
Hi yes it was £760 excl vat for the standard cut and £880 + vat for the added 6inchs in height. That did not include the tubing. I eventually got them to cut the firebox and chute only but I’m going to build the mini with an added 6 inches. The reason is that I’ll be converting all the measurements to metric and there’s bound to a difference in them. So idea is to build the framework and then cut the plate to size myself.
Jeeeez. That's a lot. The entire bill for my gf is less than that. Cheaper to buy yourself a saw and do your own cutting at that price.

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » February 20th, 2019, 3:58 pm

I agree it’s expensive and that’s why I got them just to cut my Fb and chute. The rest I’ll do the rest myself. The place where I’m getting the metal is a wholesale supplier.

Diggerg
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
BBQ Comp Team Name: Smoking and building in the UK.

Post by Diggerg » February 20th, 2019, 4:17 pm

I'm just shocked that that's just the cut price with no material

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » February 20th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Diggerg wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 4:17 pm
I'm just shocked that that's just the cut price with no material
Sorry I caused confusion this is the cut price including the metal for the sizes on the .dxw file. ( The metal is supplied by the company doing the cutting.)

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » February 21st, 2019, 4:34 am

That price is actually not far off what I was quoted here in USA. I was quoted for all pieces except the frame parts, angle, and racks. I'm sure I could find it cheaper, but many places wouldn't even provide a quote and I even got one for way more

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”