Big nasty

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Buffalo
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Big nasty

Post by Buffalo » February 22nd, 2019, 7:26 pm

Just a little back ground on this build. I got it from a buddy who built as an offset, but he just winged it. Fire box was 65% of the calculator size, throat was half the size needed for the underside firebox and 3" lower than the midline of the tank. He also built the entire top half of the tank to open. Luckily its only 1/8" steel, so opening it wasnt horrible.
I've since opened the throat to where it needs to be, added a reverse flow plate out of some plate a buddy gave me. And today I cut the fb in half and started the process of extending it.
Get that extended I hate to build the grate. Then it's the annoying job of cleaning. And painting. Then the fun part of seasoning!!
Attachments
20190222_155238.jpg

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Re: Big nasty

Post by Chromeski » February 22nd, 2019, 7:34 pm

Not a bad looking pit. I think the majority of guys don't know about the calculator and are forced to wing it. I'll follow along to see how it comes out

Buffalo

Post by Buffalo » February 22nd, 2019, 7:50 pm

Thanks! Its huge. Already thinking about an uds for normal cooks. This site is not going to be good for my wallet..

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » February 22nd, 2019, 9:45 pm

Buffalo wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 7:50 pm
Thanks! Its huge. Already thinking about an uds for normal cooks. This site is not going to be good for my wallet..
I hear ya, I don't look at drums or propane tanks the same since I joined here

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 22nd, 2019, 10:08 pm

You got it all wrong.

We actually SAVE you money. When your wife expects you to be out drinking with the boys at the corner bar you will instead be in the garage welding.

(It’s all how you twist the facts...)

Looks like a solid start for your project. I’m glad you are fixing your dimensions as it will greatly improve the function. Are you also lowering you firebox? It looks like it has a bit too much headspace as most of the time the top of the firebox is even with the baffle plate.

Buffalo

Post by Buffalo » February 22nd, 2019, 10:15 pm

No. I'm leaving where it is. The top of the box is even with the BP. The gentleman I purchased this from already had the fb and throat welded in. And before I found out about the calculator I went ahead and installed the bp. For a 36x60 chamber. I will only have 1 grate that will be 34x48-50.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » February 23rd, 2019, 3:56 am

Looks good. And it's nice when you can turn a lemon into something useful.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Big nasty

Post by Mo Smoke » February 23rd, 2019, 11:33 pm

I don’t know bro... I’d say, scrap the whole thing and start fresh. Keep the plate material u used for the baffle plate. Get a tank and do it right the first time. You’re gonna invest time and money into a big project and still not have what you want. If u really want to keep the tank, cut the FB off and turn it into an open grill and use it to cook hot and fast stuff like steaks, chops, and burgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Buffalo

Post by Buffalo » February 24th, 2019, 7:47 am

Mo Smoke wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 11:33 pm
I don’t know bro... I’d say, scrap the whole thing and start fresh. Keep the plate material u used for the baffle plate. Get a tank and do it right the first time. You’re gonna invest time and money into a big project and still not have what you want. If u really want to keep the tank, cut the FB off and turn it into an open grill and use it to cook hot and fast stuff like steaks, chops, and burgers.

I've thought of that. But I'm all honesty, I will ruffly have 400-500 in the entire build. The BP is 4 different pieces of 1/4" welded together a buddy gave me. The patches I'm using the extend the fb is scrap I've picked up over the years and laying in the back yard. I might have the ugliest smoker on this forum. But I will have this one cooking in a lot less time of starting over. But I will be able to cook on her to get some good experience. And I will know what I like and dont Iike for the next build. All the numbers are correct for the calculators now.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » February 24th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Awesome bro. Sounds like you have thought it out very well. Good job and good luck on your project.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Buffalo

Post by Buffalo » February 24th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Ya. I debated that when I first got it. I had a line on a thick propane tank and just scrap the larger tank. But now I have her to learn with for now. And i would have had alot more fabrication to get the same about of grill space.

Buffalo

Post by Buffalo » February 24th, 2019, 4:55 pm

That's the 4 parts of the reverse flow plate.
Attachments
20190104_165541.jpg

Buffalo

Post by Buffalo » February 25th, 2019, 10:56 am

Top plate welded on the fb. Hope to finish welding the bottom plate on tonight after the kids go to bed. And get the two side plates tacked up this week also.
Attachments
20190225_105420.jpg

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » February 25th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Nice. Getting there.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Buffalo