Changes to the plans

Also called Stump's Clone.
Overspray
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Changes to the plans

Post by Overspray » March 11th, 2019, 11:57 am

Hey guys, I’ll park my general questions for my build mods here.

I’m starting a single pan mini build shortly.I wanted the double pan, but I’m not quite ready to commit to that yet, hence the mini build. Although, I’d like to get a little more room in the mini. As far as I’ve read, I can increase the cook chamber by up to 25% without adjusting the fire box. What I would like to do is make the overall CC about 6” taller to add an additional shelf. I believe that falls within those parameters, but correct me if I’m wrong....

Next question is about exhaust and keeping a good draft. I’d like to have the exhaust come out the side of the smoker, instead centered out of the top. Is the volume of the exhaust stack what matters in the calculations? Let’s say I wanted a double barrel exhaust instead of single. (We’re talking functional aesthetics here).

I’m sure that I’ll have more questions as I start to progress, but the idea is to take the plans and make them my own. Build something really cool, one of a kind, add some custom automotive touches, and put a badass paint job on it.

Thanks in advance!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Changes to the plans

Post by Big T » March 11th, 2019, 7:22 pm

There was a guy that added 6'' to his mini and I don't think he had any issues. The exhaust on a vertical cooker isn't as critical as an offset because all of the heat is rising through the cook chamber so it only needs a hole to escape. If there are any questions that you have that one of the guys can't answer, you can call the number on the plans and speak to Frank. He can tell you for sure whether it will work or not.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 12th, 2019, 12:20 am

Don’t think I would mount the exaust more than a few inches down tho for fear of trapping too much dead air.

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by BurnBern » March 14th, 2019, 9:09 am

Here is the link to the build that Big T was referring to I think viewtopic.php?f=149&t=6392 he doesn’t seem to have any issues.

I purchased the mini plans and am also adding 6” and another rack. I’m in process of converting the measurements to something I understand , metric. 😂

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 14th, 2019, 11:11 am

I was under the impression that some of the plans were already converted to metric....you might check if you haven't already. I know this comes up pretty often.

Overspray

Post by Overspray » March 14th, 2019, 11:36 am

I laid it all out in scale and it will work just fine. Also planning on a couple other odds and ends because I’m slightly OCD. I know it needs “rain curbs” but this smoker will likely never see elements, so the doors will be flush. If it does get wet, I have a plan for that as well.

Next question about the build... the heat transfer tube is 7.25” up from the bottom of the cc floor. Is there any reason that this can not move lower (yes, lowering the entire FB, ash pan, and extending the top of the chute? I plan on making a removable drip pan for the bottom, so I don’t want/need the slope feature.
Last edited by Overspray on March 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » March 14th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:11 am
I was under the impression that some of the plans were already converted to metric....you might check if you haven't already. I know this comes up pretty often.
There is only 2 smokers that are metric and mini GF with cnc file is not one of them.

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » March 14th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Overspray wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:36 am
I laid it all out in scale and it will work just fine. Also planning on a couple other odds and ends because I’m slightly OCD. I know it needs “rain curbs” but this cooler will likely never see elements, so the doors will be flush. If it does get wet, I have a plan for that as well
What size are your raincurbsgoing to be?

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”