Oklahoma Joe's Bronco Drum

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » April 4th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Anyone had any experience with one of these. I'm not in the market, but it looked pretty stout and well built at the store.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Oklahoma Joe's Bronco Drum

Post by Dirtytires » April 4th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Link didn’t work for me...

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » April 5th, 2019, 12:40 am

Its basically an ugly drum smoker with less ugly. The science is pretty sound I bet it works well. I've never seen one in person or heard of them before so I can't say for sure

Gracin
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Gracin » April 5th, 2019, 9:57 am

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s ... 1000713122

Link didn't work for me either, but the above link is what I found on Lowes. Two 1 star reviews, both with complaints about bad leaks; which I find amusing because the description mentions something about airtight for temperature control.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 5th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Thanks for the updated link...my 2 cents is you can build a wonderful drum for the same money. It will be bigger, last longer and you will be happier building it yourself.

You can even get most of those parts on franks webpage if you don’t want to make the grate, firebox or vents yourself.

TBall

Post by TBall » June 12th, 2019, 2:50 pm

I’ve had a bronco for a month, dozen or so smokes. There are absolutely no air leaks, even with the mis-machined intake tube (that OKJ is sending me a free replacement part fix currently out of stock). The thermometer is crap, but all are, I use a digital 4 probe. I was skeptical on the small firebox, but its so efficient its no prob to do a 16+ hour smoke. The only drawback compared to a uds its 18” width, but with 3 hanging racks and 9 hooks absolutely no problem that cant be worked around. It comes with only 1 grill, I recommend the PBC grill that opens in half so you can hang rib racks and still cook some beans or whatever. Being a small volume can, temp adjustment is almost instant compared to my UDS. And it burns much less lump. Bottom line, I gave my tried and true hi-end 55 gal UDS to my daughter, this is a better smoker for my needs.

lisalewis73
beginner
beginner
Title: Happy Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by lisalewis73 » November 19th, 2019, 12:12 am

Hello to everyone who is here!
I remember that when I looked at the grill I saw such a model, but I remember that I didn’t like the look and went to the classic models. I chose the Weber grill for myself. If I'm not mistaken, I have Original Kettle.
This model is a nice combination of size and portability. Though the cooking space is pretty big, the overall size of the grill is not so large that it would be difficult to find a place for it in your backyard.

I actually wondered how much the grill you were talking about and the Weber grills are different. Does anyone have any info on grilling comparisons?

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » November 25th, 2019, 1:18 pm

lisalewis73 wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 12:12 am
Hello to everyone who is here!
I remember that when I looked at the grill I saw such a model, but I remember that I didn’t like the look and went to the classic models. I chose the Weber grill for myself. If I'm not mistaken, I have Original Kettle.
This model is a nice combination of size and portability. Though the cooking space is pretty big, the overall size of the grill is not so large that it would be difficult to find a place for it in your backyard.

I actually wondered how much the grill you were talking about and the Weber grills are different. Does anyone have any info on grilling comparisons?
The original Weber is a great grill for small cooks, I have one I use often. The one in the link i think is designed to be a smoker. This one is meant to keep a constant temperature for many hours. Although you can definitely do long cooks on the Weber I think it's better for fast and hot.

HARRY BARKER
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by HARRY BARKER » January 11th, 2022, 1:30 pm

ive had a bronco for about 6 months.....bought the larger fire basket for it and will be replacing temp gauge with a real one....other than that it cooks great really quick easy temp control.i probably have about 50 cooks on it...very happy...the quality for the price is very good

Image Image

HARRY BARKER
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by HARRY BARKER » January 11th, 2022, 1:39 pm

20211220_151605.jpg

Image Image