Start of a mini

Also called Stump's Clone.
JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Start of a mini

Post by JKalchik » August 21st, 2019, 5:38 pm

The pocket on my double pan GF is recessed in above the firebox. The steel (now that I've got it better insulated...) gets pretty warm to touch, but not burn territory, and not enough to soften PLA. As far as a probe port goes, I cut a circular hole in the cook chamber, and one in the pocket, and joined them with a short piece of frame tubing. The ports themselves are covered with high heat silicon rubber gaskets from Weber for thermoprobe ports in grills and smokers. Everything is hidden.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » August 22nd, 2019, 5:10 pm

Your post must be the one I saw. I don’t want to recess it like you did just make a frame on the outside for the controller and port. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a heat issue. What did you do for the cable for the fan?

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » August 22nd, 2019, 7:58 pm

Cable for the fan just hangs down & outside the smoker. Another gent over on the HM forums built a passthrough port from his recessed pocket all the way down to the air inlet for a nicely dressed appearance.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » August 25th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Didn’t get as much done as I wanted but made some progress today.
I’ve been thinking about putting a 90 on the inlet pipe to minimize how far it will stick out with the ball valve and fan. I can’t for see any but are there any issues with doing that?

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » August 25th, 2019, 7:47 pm

I put the ball valve on the firebox inlet and the hm on the other side. It allows me to shut the air off completely to the firebox and choke the fire out to save charcoal after the cook.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » September 1st, 2019, 5:12 pm

Got a little work done today. I got all the cook chamber panels welded in. Damn that’s a lot of welding. I kept the welds to 2-3 inches and let cool and still ended up with the sheet metal dancing around.
Attachments
34B48C23-97A2-49F2-8279-66CED95E30E9.jpeg

h2orescuemedic
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by h2orescuemedic » September 3rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

I run the BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud with the biggest fan they had think it was the pit vipper 25cfm fan i am probably wrong on the name but it was the biggest they had i do know that. I Run it on my double pan gravity feed smoker, and its performance is spot on. Its a little funny at first getting it to connect to your home wifi, but after that super easy to use, sends text to your phone and easy to adjust from your phone from anyplace you have cell service,

Please keep the photos coming of your build

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » September 5th, 2019, 3:25 pm

2EDD3E2E-7916-4182-B405-2428FBE7B0F6.jpeg
Like I mentioned before sheet metal dancing around. I’m going to add 2-3 pieces of 1/2” square stock on the outside of the cc along with the channel for my grates on the inside hoping to get the bow out. If not I’ll add a couple pieces of 1 1/2 square tube to get it out.

I’ve decided to put a recess on the firebox side for my controller like JKalchik did. Even though I plan on stuffing as much insulation into the firebox side as I can I’m still a little concerned about heat. Since I can’t find any firebrick thin enough what about lining the recess with tile since it has heat resistant qualities?

I’m also going to put a 90 on the inlet pipe and run it up to the recess for two reasons. One so the fan will be close to the controller so I won’t have a cable dangling around and second so i won’t have 10” of pipe, valve, and fan sticking out. I pie cut the 90 so I should be able to keep it to about 3.5”. I know it’s a little anal but I’m trying to keep a clean look.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » September 6th, 2019, 10:33 am

I think your efforts to keep a clean look will pay off for sure. My fan hangs out quite a bit and it does get banged sometimes. It's just a matter of time and I'll forget it's there and it will knocked clean in two and I'll be buying another fan! :-)

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » September 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm

mp4 wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 10:33 am
I think your efforts to keep a clean look will pay off for sure. My fan hangs out quite a bit and it does get banged sometimes. It's just a matter of time and I'll forget it's there and it will knocked clean in two and I'll be buying another fan! :-)
That’s exactly why I’m doing it. At first I was going to run it to the right then I decided to go up so I can keep the cable to the fan out of the way too.

bjustison
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by bjustison » September 8th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I welded in a 1/2" pipe with a probe port on the outside of the smoker on my mini. I didn't like the look of the recessed shelf on the front. It's large enough for my pit probe and three temperature probes.
20190718_180314.jpg
20190720_085035.jpg

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » September 8th, 2019, 5:13 pm

I don’t want all the wires hanging out so that’s why I’m going with the recess. Keep in mind I’ve added 10 inches to the height so I have little more room for placement and think it’ll look and work good.

Why hasn’t anybody complained about how fast these things get heavy?🙄
I got my panels straightened out and the firebox assembly installed today.
Attachments
01C39BF4-EC6F-4A2A-9281-6A754EE12646.jpeg

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 8th, 2019, 8:00 pm

jsbm wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Why hasn’t anybody complained about how fast these things get heavy?🙄
Haha, Puff built a big GF a few years ago and he must've said it about a thousand times.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » September 8th, 2019, 10:50 pm

You've clearly not gone through the forum's DP GF builds... just about everyone mentions how quickly they get heavy. :D

Good idea to get them on wheels early on. You can take the wheels off for painting etc, but to move the thing around without wheels is a pain.
Another thing to incorporate is lifting lugs on the top.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » September 9th, 2019, 3:52 am

ajfoxy wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 10:50 pm
You've clearly not gone through the forum's DP GF builds... just about everyone mentions how quickly they get heavy. :D

Good idea to get them on wheels early on. You can take the wheels off for painting etc, but to move the thing around without wheels is a pain.
Another thing to incorporate is lifting lugs on the top.
I was joking. I’ve read plenty. That’s the next step, get the bottom plate on and wheels.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 9th, 2019, 10:48 pm

I seem to recall that everybody has a hoist, forklift or tractor at their disposal so weight isn’t a factor.

Everyone, except me, that is!

MrsSmokerBuilder
Founder
Founder

Post by MrsSmokerBuilder » September 10th, 2019, 2:54 pm

I've never actually seen a mini GF. Pretty cool!

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » September 10th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 10:48 pm
I seem to recall that everybody has a hoist, forklift or tractor at their disposal so weight isn’t a factor.

I have all of those at my disposal too. Like a dummy I chose to build at home instead of at work.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » September 24th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 10:48 pm

I don't have any of the above. I may buy a hoist just to put the legs on my mini.

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » September 26th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Is it just me or do your wife’s throw a wrench in any free time you think you have to work on your smoker? Knowing I have a project going on do you think she would put a pause on hers so I could finish mine. I’m just venting and love her to death so I guess I’ll always put her first. On top of that I agreed to build a Santa Maria grill for a friend. Just shoot me now. 😁

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » September 26th, 2019, 8:30 pm

jsbm wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 6:13 pm
Is it just me or do your wife’s throw a wrench in any free time you think you have to work on your smoker? Knowing I have a project going on do you think she would put a pause on hers so I could finish mine. I’m just venting and love her to death so I guess I’ll always put her first. On top of that I agreed to build a Santa Maria grill for a friend. Just shoot me now. 😁
My wife 100% cannot understand why I want to build a smoker. I have to work to get any free time to work on mine.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » September 26th, 2019, 8:55 pm

<chuckle> My g/f more or less beat me around the head & neck area a year and a half ago and told me in no uncertain terms to build the damned thing. She's been reaping the benefits thereof......

Yes, she's my enabler.

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » September 29th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Got some hood time in today. I went with 1/4” plate for the bottom. I got the legs and gussets welded plus the back and one side panel.
Attachments
82C4DC30-275C-454B-B901-24DF4BD0BE8F.jpeg
F8DB79BC-2A68-4F22-9F23-DC54E7B4FAE3.jpeg
4CEFAAF5-0A73-4593-B77B-FD84989C7482.jpeg

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 29th, 2019, 8:01 pm

I like the look of the legs with the gussets. I believe it was Weldun that done something similar but he used angle iron that he cut down.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » September 29th, 2019, 8:10 pm

I did something similar, taking inspiration from a few others here, I used extra frame tubing cut on 45 degrees, and butted right up into the corners. The frame tubing goes straight up from the caster feet/mounts up to the top.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”