Fishing for thoughts and ideas before starting my first build.

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
raklor

Fishing for thoughts and ideas before starting my first build.

Post by raklor » September 13th, 2019, 4:25 pm

So im considering a build using a 2'x2'x7' rigid formed steel cabinet that is aproximatly 1/8" thick with a door on the front and back. I lean toward a horizontal offset reverse flow design. Also leaning towards propane for heat source with a cast iron pan over the heat for wood chips. I am torn between top opening or front opening. Kinda just fishing for advice before i start moving forward. I know many frown on propane heat due to risks of losing flame and building unburnt propane risk of possible explosion but having run a store bought propane smoker for the last 5+ years im fairly comfortable with it. Ive linked a picture of the cabinets. Ive got 2 of them and may get a 3rd for scrap parts.
0621191421.jpg

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Fishing for thoughts and ideas before starting my first build.

Post by towtruck » September 14th, 2019, 3:35 pm

I can see that on it's side with the doors opening down out of your way or up and propped open. As far as propane if done correctly there is little danger. A cooker that big is going to use lots of gas to keep it all hot though.

post more pics as you build it out......looks like a good project. There are a few vertical gas cookers out there and that cabinet looks like a good one for that in the upright position. Build the right gas chamber for it to sit on and you might have a smoke house in the making.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Re: Fishing for thoughts and ideas before starting my first build.

Post by Chromeski » September 17th, 2019, 4:29 am

It can definitely work. I've used store bought propane smokers with some success. The biggest issues I've had were #1 having an open flame at the bottom of a smoker is asking for a grease fire. This can be dealt with by being careful and you did mention offset implying the fire isn't directly under the cook chamber.
#2 keeping temperature controlled although not difficult was always something that I had to constantly adjust.

With your design being that large will consume tons of wood chips, chunks may be the way to go. Be careful with the build keeping safety as a priority. Without proper vents and such a propane smoker can become dangerous.