How do you smoke your brisket?

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Leonard

Post by LeonardK » March 22nd, 2019, 9:36 am

For ribs 1st simple thing I heard from Mike Delmarva, 3-2-1 method he likes 250 deg cook temp, 3hrs cook uncovered, 2hrs foiled cook, 1hr rest cooks on a pellet grill

Now for Brisket 1st smoke method on a reverse flow smoker, smoke steady 250 deg use a meat probe monitor cook to 160 deg and this will average about 5 to 6 hrs. Foil put rub and stuff on there like coke or burbon, close foil cook to 198 deg (meat probe) cooking chamber 280 to 300 about 2.5 hrs and done.

So on this first one I put serrano pulverized with seeds and blended with some burbon and I salted to tasted, splashed some burbon on at 160 deg foil time too.

Total cook time about 9 hours having nice looking smoke rings I guess looking 3/8 to 1/2 inch some places.

Is this generally most others cook method or close to it, how DO you cook your brisket????????

Here's where this question comes from.

New Braunfels Smokehouse Hickory Smoked Brisket smoked 18 hrs.jpg
Screenshot_2019-03-19 Post Oak Smoked Brisket (Whole) Southside Market Barbeque(2).jpg

When looking up what people charge for cooked brisket per pound, I find one company claims they give their briskets a full 18 hour cook in their hickory fired smokers. The other company claims 16 to 18 hrs using post oak wood just salt and pepper to taste.

Does a low temp smoke below 225 deg for a longer period really make a better tasting more tender brisket???????

Anyone find out or know how they cook theirs, like at 200 deg or lower. My temp gauge labels smoking starting at 140 degrees. I saw an interesting video about cooking vac sealed meat in a bag weighted down under water at a low 140 degrees for a few hours called Sous Vide

Seeing these articles, some variety of cook methods at different temperatures, I've been thinking of trying a long low temp cook at about 150 degrees, will take much longer but the firebox won't burn up the wood too fast, it will be choked down a little and I would have to start early in the morning.

How do you cook your brisket and with how much smoke flavor?

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: How do you smoke your brisket?

Post by Pete Mazz » March 22nd, 2019, 10:08 am

275 4-5 hours. Foil with beef broth until probe tender, ~203-210. Rest an hour.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by LeonardK » March 22nd, 2019, 10:46 am

Hi Mike thank you

So faster cook slightly higher temp, you like yours with a strong smoke flavor? Get a good thick smoke ring? The broth idea sounds good.

Haven't smoked much at all but I think my 1st turned out real good, here's pics brisket and pork butt. Thinking doing more pork butt!

And also in trimming really lean, before cook, I separated marble head from the flat tip part and always want to do that. Makes more surface to absorb smoke, rubs, and burbon or other additives. I'm not a meat flavor purist, I like the taste of salt and spices and peppers and smoke!

16x36 cooker rev flo smk 1 -  5.jpg
16x36 cooker rev flo smk 1 -  3a.jpg
16x36 cooker rev flo smk 1 -  2.jpg

Does anyone do really long smokes, much more than 9 hours?

New Braunfels Smokehouse Hickory Smoked Brisket smoked 18 hrs... wonder how they do that?
12 hours at 150 deg then finish up 6 more hrs slowly to internal temp 200-210?

Some of the tender smoky brisket may also use marinade like Italian Dressing (???), been wanting to try that.

Lots more to try, learn, experiment with.

How's pork butt foiled with a bunch of tomato sauce and Italian seasoning sound? Might cut up and put over cork screw pasta with that sauce.

Leonard

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » March 22nd, 2019, 12:30 pm

I generally follow Aaron Franklin's brisket method, with the exception that I smoke at 225, not 275. Generally 12+ hours, I'm not unhappy with 16. Only kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper.

http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/smoker4

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by LeonardK » March 22nd, 2019, 6:49 pm

Hi JKalchik

After looking up Aaron Franklins brisket method, I see he doesn't trim the brisket, mentions when testing how the toothpick passes through the fat...

So there are going to be some that cook with fat on untrimmed and some like me and others trim absolutely lean so you get more smoke flavor on the meat. I'm still learning and experimenting with cooking. Already cooked 2 briskets un-trimmed in a reverse flow smoker, after 6 hours, didn't like it. Trimmed both, and smoked for about 4 more hours.

They mentioned his espresso sauce and a Worchestershire sauce+water 50/50 spritzer mix. Worchestershire sauce sounds good and have heard of coffee and espresso used in similar ways but haven't got around to trying that. Some time after a cup of espresso in morning I feel like eating, funny to imagine how you mix that with meat. Might have to try that.

Still lots of things to try.

Leonard

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » March 22nd, 2019, 7:27 pm

Well, actually, he does trim...... 1/4-1/2" left, and most of the hard fat gone.

I don't mist/spritz/mop. Wrap in unlined butcher paper at 155-160 degrees when it starts to stall, then smoke to 200-205 until it passes a probe test. Rest in a picnic cooler for at least 2 hours (and I have a feeling this step is far more crucial than just about anything else.) I smoke fat side up, the smoke hits it from the bottom. I'll get a good 1/2" smoke ring, and the brisket doesn't look like it came out of an oven.

I didn't care for his espresso sauce, but I may have to give it another try.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 23rd, 2019, 11:52 am

My brisket and pork shoulders always go 12-18 hours at 225-250. I wrap in paper when it hits the stall.

tim1000l
beginner
beginner

Post by tim1000l » July 15th, 2019, 4:21 pm

I did one Brisket similar to Franklins trim and cook method. I ended up separating the flat and point because I was trimming a bunch of fat inbetween the two. I was planning on making burnt ends anyway. I wrapped in foil around 170, it took around 14-15 hrs total. The point needed to be cooked longer... Burnt ends still had stiff tendons in them so the texture wasn't great in spots. The thinner bits were fantastic. The flat turned out really well, would have been better if it wasn't 9PM. I target around 225 for the cook chamber.

lisalewis73
beginner
beginner
Title: Happy Member

Post by lisalewis73 » November 14th, 2019, 12:20 am

Pete Mazz wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 10:08 am
275 4-5 hours. Foil with beef broth until probe tender, ~203-210. Rest an hour.
I always cooked the same principle.
But I think that according to the recipe - 12-18 hours at 225-250- the meat will turn out juicier and softer. I think this weekend I and my husband need to arrange a day of "languishing meat"

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 14th, 2019, 4:31 am

I, and most everyone, thought low and slow was the only way to achieve moist and tender smoked food. Since moving to faster/hotter I have found no difference besides the amount of time.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 14th, 2019, 5:01 pm

:yth: Nothing wrong with low and slow if you have the time.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

seirestaurant

Post by seirestaurant » December 30th, 2019, 1:06 pm

My brisket and pork shoulders go 12 18 hours in 225-250. I wrap in newspaper the moment it strikes the booth.