Hello from Indy

Tell us a little about yourself!
Hungry

Hello from Indy

Post by Hungry » April 14th, 2012, 8:29 am

Hello from Indianapolis. I've been smoking with a 40" Masterbuilt electric smoker for about 4 years. It does okay for what it is, but I'm really hoping to get into a stick burner. I'm considering a reverse flow on a trailer. I'd like to be able to cook for 200 - 250 at church and motorcycle ministry events. Right now, my smoked food tastes pretty good, but the lack of a smoke ring with the electric is disappointing. I was looking at a Southern Yankee, but I'm thinking the smoker I was considering is way too much for what I need. What I'm hoping for is to learn what "real" smoking is about, and get some insight as to what kind of rig I really need / want. Still want a smoker with a separate grill, and ??

I have questions from "I'm used to smoking briskets through the night, and I'm wondering how much more tending a stick burner will require, compared to my electric." (I guess that depends on the individual smoker.) To, "Do I need to get a permit from my local health department to serve BBQ at a private or a public event such as a motorcycle rally?" What features are really necessary for a trailer? Grey water tanks? Sinks? Coolers? You get the idea. This will help me decide which direction to go on my next smoker. So, if you have ideas, experience and opinions, I'd love to hear from y'all.

Thanks,
Hungry

Si is est tardus quam mehi, is est victus -
If it is slower than me, it is food

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Hello from Indy

Post by Gizmo » April 14th, 2012, 11:36 am

:welcome:
Welcome Hungry! Glad to have you here. 200 to 250 is a manageable crowd so you've got a lot of smoker choices. I lean toward multiple smokers - more flexible. Then you can decide for each event how many to get involved - so I don't aim a cannon at a sparrow. Also gives me the option of different types of wood/flavor and cook temps simultaneously like chicken wings vs. Pork butt.
There are a number of fellers on here with kitchens that I'm sure will check in. They have rigs/experience to steer you the right direction.
Again - Welcome! :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » April 14th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Welcome hungry!
all those questions are great questions. Stick burner will take more tending through night, about every 45 minutes or so depending on the rig/operator.
I agree worth Rick on the multiple rigs concept for large gatherings. Unless you were going to be doing cooks like that frequently.
The health permit thing is dependent on the local codes you have. Here in Missouri, you would need a temporary permit if you were vending but not for parties.
If you do vend for community functions your rig will need to be up to code for Mobil food units. For instance, grey water tank must be 15% larger than fresh water tank. 3 bay sink for wash rinse sanitize (bus tubs will work also) some kind of portable water heater.
Hope this helps!

Sent using Forum Runner. Try it out for Android or iPhone IOS

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » April 15th, 2012, 9:57 am

:welcome: ......and ...... :yth: ..... :ymcowboy:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » April 15th, 2012, 10:01 am

:welcome: :yth:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by TuscaloosaQ » April 15th, 2012, 10:44 am

:welcome: Great to have you here Indy, you have come to a good place :welcome:

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

maccas66
Expert
Expert
Title: Aussourian Plumber
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by maccas66 » April 16th, 2012, 2:17 am

:welcome: from down here!, good to have you aboard! :beer:

" I`m so hungry, I`m farting fresh air!"

Hungry

Post by Hungry » April 16th, 2012, 5:34 am

Maccas66 -
:LG:
I read your thread on your smoker build with growing respect and envy. What a beautiful smoker! Love to see more as you progress on the project. I'm no fabricator, but wish I could build something that nice. How much experience have you had with smoking / building before you took on this project?

Si is est tardus quam mehi, is est victus -
If it is slower than me, it is food

Return to “Introduce yourself!”