Which stumps clone is my best option?

Also called Stump's Clone.
Stoutpigbbq
beginner
beginner

Which stumps clone is my best option?

Post by Stoutpigbbq » April 3rd, 2020, 8:44 am

I’m torn between the mini clone plans and the original clone plans. I called Frank about the double pan plans and that seems to big for my needs. When I search the mini stumps smoker I’m not getting a lot of finished pics of sizes. I’m also curious on pics of the 24 x 26” rack clone build. Anyone have pics or an overall dimension of the mini or the original 24” x 26” rack clone? Thanks.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Which stumps clone is my best option?

Post by JKalchik » April 3rd, 2020, 12:16 pm

I agonized over that a couple of years ago, whether to build the mini, standard or double pan. I have the room for the double pan. There doesn't appear to be all that much difference in fuel consumption between them. I ended up building the double pan, figuring that I cannot use volume/space that I don't have. I don't have to use all 5 racks, but I can't use what ain't there. I am far away from unhappy about having this monster in the back yard.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Smokerbuild
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Smokerbuild » April 4th, 2020, 6:50 am

I built the mini last year. When I was trying to decide which one to build, the mini or the double, my main concern was capacity. I built the mini to the specification that are in the plans. I wish I had built the mini a couple of inches taller to allow for more room between the racks. I can get three packer briskets, one on each rack or two racks of ribs on each rack. That allows for space between the meat. I wish I had built the double pan for the additional space. The mini is a fantastic back porch smoker, it’s terrific as a set it and forget it smoker. If you’re not going to cook much meat, I’d go with the mini every time. But, if you think it’s possible that you’re going to start making more than what one family can eat, go with the double pan. Here are some pictures of my smokerImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stoutpigbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by Stoutpigbbq » April 5th, 2020, 10:49 am

Thanks for the info! I think I will go with the mini because I cook for family and friends and do a little backyard comps. in my area. If I get to cooking more it will give me an excuse to build the double pan down the road. Do you think I should raise the legs 6” or more, since you said it was a little short? I agree I don’t want it short by no means. Thanks for the info!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 5th, 2020, 11:21 am

Couple inch stilts probably a good idea. Just make sure it is stable as these things are super heavy and a tip-over could be deadly.

Stoutpigbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by Stoutpigbbq » April 5th, 2020, 2:07 pm

What is the 6” mod everyone talks about? Is that 6” cooking chamber mod or 6” leg mod? Another question is how much, let’s say 8# pork butts can the mini do? Sorry all the questions just ready to start my build.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 5th, 2020, 6:47 pm

They are increasing the interior cooking space by 6 inches.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » April 6th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Making it 4-6" taller is my recommendation to give you a little more room between the racks. I have trouble with larger butts rubbing against the upper racks. I also built mine with a shelf underneath to make it about 8" taller. Image

Smokerbuild
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Smokerbuild » April 7th, 2020, 8:03 am

mp4 wrote:Making it 4-6" taller is my recommendation to give you a little more room between the racks. I have trouble with larger butts rubbing against the upper racks. I also built mine with a shelf underneath to make it about 8" taller. Image
I agree, make it taller. I wish I had made my mini 4 inches higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”