2nd UDS Build with Draftmaster

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
Peaksy
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

2nd UDS Build with Draftmaster

Post by Peaksy » May 18th, 2020, 7:45 am

I'm about to start building my second UDS. My original UDS was made out of a less than perfect drum. It's been good, but I'm hoping for a better sealed drum and more easily controlled temperature.

I've ordered the Smoker Builder Manufacturer competition kit (don't know where I heard about it😉) from an Aussie supplier and think I've sourced a good drum.
IMG_1992.PNG
It's an hour trip each way to pick up the drum, but it looks good and straight sides should make for a better smoker (at least in appearance)

I bought a hole saw kit and good quality 1/4" bit to keep things neat and efficient.

I'm planning to paint it with VHT Engine Enamel over VHT Engine Primer, the drum in dark blue, fittings in red. Feedback on paint type would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what wheels to fit, as it will be stored in my shed, which is 40 yards from where it will mostly be used, for convenience I'm leaning towards mounting it on a hand trolley.

Looking forward to getting started, and to getting smoking with it.

TBone208
beginner
beginner

Re: 2nd UDS Build with Draftmaster

Post by TBone208 » May 18th, 2020, 9:47 am

I’m currently in the same stage of my UDS build (procuring a drum) so I’ll be watching to see your progress and hopefully learn a thing or two!

Good luck with the build.

Where are you in AUS? My wife and I spent some time in Cowra, Merimbula, and Bingie (all in NSW) a couple years ago during a working working holiday and had a really wonderful time. We also took a short trip to Canberra, Melbourne, and also got to see the Great Ocean Road. Beautiful country, all of it.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 18th, 2020, 10:56 am

Sounds like a great project.

Remember, mark your holes with a center punch to keep the bit from wandering and add a few drops of light oil with each hole. Your new bit will last a lot longer.

Maybe you could use the hand-trolly concept. Put 2 stationary wheels on the bottom edge that will only hit the ground when the barrel it tipped back. For the handle, you could just use a simple bar or integrate it into a shelf.

Either way, remember to share your build, we look forward to seeing it.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » May 19th, 2020, 3:44 am

All those that I've built, I've also built a drum dolly to move them around. Never had an issue with them bogging down yet, and I've pushed out quite a few. If you need a pic of a drum dolly, just shout out and I'll send one your way... a pic that is not the drum dolly (that'll cost you extra... :D )

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » May 19th, 2020, 4:34 am

TBone208 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 9:47 am
I’m currently in the same stage of my UDS build (procuring a drum) so I’ll be watching to see your progress and hopefully learn a thing or two!

Good luck with the build.

Where are you in AUS? My wife and I spent some time in Cowra, Merimbula, and Bingie (all in NSW) a couple years ago during a working working holiday and had a really wonderful time. We also took a short trip to Canberra, Melbourne, and also got to see the Great Ocean Road. Beautiful country, all of it.
I'm about 45 minutes from the Great Ocean Road, on the Bellarine peninsula. I've spent many holidays just north of Merimbula at Bermagui, it's a beautiful region that was badly affected by last summer's fires.

Hope your build goes well

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » May 19th, 2020, 4:38 am

Dirtytires wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 10:56 am
Sounds like a great project.

Remember, mark your holes with a center punch to keep the bit from wandering and add a few drops of light oil with each hole. Your new bit will last a lot longer.

Maybe you could use the hand-trolly concept. Put 2 stationary wheels on the bottom edge that will only hit the ground when the barrel it tipped back. For the handle, you could just use a simple bar or integrate it into a shelf.

Either way, remember to share your build, we look forward to seeing it.
I've already broken out the centre punch so I don't forget it in my enthusiasm. I'm liking the idea of a shelf and the tilt option. I've got a reasonable slope to get up, that isn't paved, so I want to make things as easy as possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » May 19th, 2020, 4:42 am

ajfoxy wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 3:44 am
All those that I've built, I've also built a drum dolly to move them around. Never had an issue with them bogging down yet, and I've pushed out quite a few. If you need a pic of a drum dolly, just shout out and I'll send one your way... a pic that is not the drum dolly (that'll cost you extra... :D )
If you could send me a pic that would be great (not as good as sending me a dolly of course😉)

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » May 19th, 2020, 4:55 am

Picked up my drum. I was hoping for a straight sided one, but they were gone. This one is in god condition, had a couple of dents that I was able to knock out pretty easily with a rubber mallet.

Planning on burning it out tomorrow. I've watched Frank's video, but it doesn't show what to do with the lid. Any suggestions would be great, as I don't want to warp or otherwise damage it.
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » May 19th, 2020, 10:18 am

I would just wire-wheel the lid. Hear too many people try to burn them and get them warped.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » May 19th, 2020, 4:13 pm

:yth: gentle with the lid. Bolt everthing to it as opposed to welding it. They do have a liking to warp if you are not careful.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » May 21st, 2020, 4:16 am

Stripped back the lid yesterday using a wire wheel for the top and a stripping disk for the liner. Seems like I must have some idea because the how to video was uploaded today and Frank was using the same type of disk on the liner.

Minor setback today, my draftmaster kit arrived, but only 2 pieces of the heat shield were in it. Contacted the guy I got it from, hopefully it will get here quickly.

Assembled the charcoal basket, it really is a well thought out and made piece of gear. The laser cut cooking grate will probably live longer than me.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » May 21st, 2020, 4:23 am

Oops, sorry forgot about pics of the drum dolly. Here's you go...
Attachments
drum dolly.png
drum dolly.png (86 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » May 21st, 2020, 5:53 am

ajfoxy wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 4:23 am
Oops, sorry forgot about pics of the drum dolly. Here's you go...
Thanks for that. I'm not sure if it would handle the slopes I've got. I'm going to keep my options open as long as I can.

Good news, missing piece will be sent tomorrow, really happy with the response to an email sent at 7pm

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » May 25th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Burned out the drum and primed the fittings.
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » May 25th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Drum cleaned up, took a bit of work as the paint and liner weren't completely burnt out.
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » May 25th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Fittings painted with Red Engine Enamel. Lid painted in Ford New Blue Engine Enamel is in the background.
IMG_0889.JPG
Instructions on the can said to bake at 95C for 30 minutes.
IMG_0893.JPG
Of course I waited until my wife was out for a while, I'm not totally stupid.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 25th, 2020, 8:37 pm

It's going to look sharp and you know it'll cook just as good as it looks!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » May 26th, 2020, 12:24 pm

My wife would kill me.....I’m certain of it.

I once “seasoned”some new cast iron Dutch ovens in the kitchen. Let’s just say it didn’t end well.....lol.

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » June 9th, 2020, 3:22 am

Seasoned the new drum. Baffle plate had all the slots open about 45 deg. Ran it at 320F with the intakes nearly closed after loading a full chimney of briquettes.

You may notice the pair of tool hangers either side of the thermometer. The choice to include them had nothing to do with holes that were mistakenly drilled😉.
IMG_0901.JPG

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » June 9th, 2020, 3:36 am

First cook, Ribs and ABT's. I bent the baffle plate openings back a bit to help drop the temperature from my seasoning burn. I only used half a chimney of lit briquettes. A few chunks of Cherry wood in the corners of the basket. Homemade basic pork rub after a very light dry brining overnight.

Intakes were almost closed, temperature was still a little difficult to keep low enough. I'll bend the baffle plate back a bit more next cook.
IMG_0911.JPG
I basted the ribs with some homemade sauce about 3 hours into the cook, back on to cook for another 45 minutes. ABT's cooked for 3 hours.
IMG_0912.JPG
The fresh batch of homemade sauce on the table went untouched as the ribs were great without anything extra.

I'm still undecided about wheels. I might look into getting the plans from Frank for the locking low profile kit and get my father in law to help me make it.

My initial thoughts on the Draftmaster kit are that is is going to make things a lot easier. Once I get the baffle tuned I'm pretty sure it will be set and forget.
Next cook will be a pork shoulder to get things tuned a bit more, then it will be a brisket.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 9th, 2020, 3:44 am

:LG: :LG: :LG:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 9th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Double check for air leaks that will feed the fire and raise the temps. Are you using a gasket on the lid?

Nice build....looks like a successful cook.

Peaksy

Post by Peaksy » June 9th, 2020, 6:16 pm

I'm using a gasket on the lid, it seems to seal very well. I used clear RTV sealant on all the parts, I'll check that I haven't got any gaps. How open do people have the exhaust?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 9th, 2020, 11:24 pm

It turned out nice! I would do a few practice burns and try to lite a smaller amount of charcoal and work your way up to the temperature that you want to cook at. I normally start off with about 12-15 lit briquettes and dump them on top off my charcoal basket. I open my intakes all the way until I get about 50-75 degrees below my target temp and then I close 3 of my intakes( I have 4 3/4'' intakes) and creep the rest of the way to my intended temp. I've found that it's almost impossible to get the temp back down if I over shoot it so I try not to let that happen. I have a homebuilt drum with a pizza pan for a deflector so your results may vary but at the very least I would try to creep up on my intended temp.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.