First Offset Smoker build

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: First Offset Smoker build

Post by Big T » June 5th, 2020, 4:09 pm

It looks great!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 6th, 2020, 12:00 pm

I’m of the opinion that is better. I typically won’t run beads longer than a couple of inches unless it is on thicker material. I like to stitch -weld it to allow the metal time to cool off which helps prevent warping and distortion.

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 7th, 2020, 12:45 am

It’s time for me to think of stand/trolley options.
I’m thinking of repurposing an old 3x4 yard cart that my old man built many years ago. I’ve had no use for it until now, so it’s just sat out in my yard.
My smoker is 4” long, so this is the perfect size. I will be modifying & reinforcing in places. The frame is all 3/16” angle iron, so it will probably hold my little smoker easily.

I’m minding my Grandpuppy for a few days.

I’m thinking I’ll need to widen the wheel base on the steering mechanism.
I’ll only ever be pulling it by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 7th, 2020, 11:54 am

Definitely an option but might be more work than building new. On the flip-side, maybe keep the steering and narrow the body to better fit you smoker width.

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 8th, 2020, 1:42 am

Scrap that idea. You were right Dirtytires, too much hassle refurbish the yard cart, so I’m building a stand from scratch. I got the base done this arvo.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 8th, 2020, 6:54 am

Looks good buddy

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 8th, 2020, 11:34 am

I think you will be happy with that decision.

Big T

Post by Big T » June 8th, 2020, 6:13 pm

:yth:

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 10th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Yesterday I used the jack & chain method to adjust the CC door. As it is only 1/8th inch thick, and only slightly warped, my 3.5 ton trolley jack did the job. Then I decided to put a few more welds around the flanges, but completely ruined what had been a reasonable looking door. So I set about cutting off the flanges to redo. So this morning I’m off to buy some more flat bar.

On a different matter, I just read Franks blog on Facebook about the differences between RF & Offset. The way I read it, given the placement of my firebox, I’m committed to RF. Would you guys agree?

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 10th, 2020, 8:25 pm

As long as the FB/CC throat opening matches the calculator, I think you’re okay. I will let others comment w more experience but I think Frank was implying you have more flexibility w FB placement on a traditional offset. If you put your FB halfway up the CC, then you’d probably be committed to a trad offset as your BP would be placed too high for an RF.

Big T

Post by Big T » June 10th, 2020, 9:04 pm

:yth: with a traditional offset the FB can be as high as you want it on the CC but a RF FB height is dictated by your BP height.

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 11th, 2020, 12:44 am

Big T wrote::yth: with a traditional offset the FB can be as high as you want it on the CC but a RF FB height is dictated by your BP height.
dacolson wrote:As long as the FB/CC throat opening matches the calculator, I think you’re okay. I will let others comment w more experience but I think Frank was implying you have more flexibility w FB placement on a traditional offset. If you put your FB halfway up the CC, then you’d probably be committed to a trad offset as your BP would be placed too high for an RF.
Thanks Gents

There is one more issue that will have a bearing on wether I go traditional or RF. Frank talked about the traditional style having a vertical baffle to direct the heat straight up as it leaves the FB. This concerns me, as I’m not sure I’d be able to cut a circular baffle plate, or have the welding skills to weld it in place. I had been planning on a small horizontal baffle plate extending to about 1/3 of the CC. I saw something about it on YouTube once. I think I’ve watched & read too much & now I’m confused.
Basically, can you guys tell me what different baffle options I have if I go traditional, which is my preference.

Thanks in advance.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 11th, 2020, 4:03 am

I always thought tuning plates made more sense .

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » June 11th, 2020, 9:07 am

Pete Mazz wrote:I always thought tuning plates made more sense .
Tuning plates confuse me

Claud McBroom

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder

Post by hogaboomer » June 11th, 2020, 9:29 am

Tuning plates work similar to a baffle plate, only you leave gaps to let the heat come through, instead of going all the way across and back up and over again. Smaller gaps on the firebox side because it's hotter, gaps get wider as you get farther away from the firebox. My tuning plates are 1/4 inch plate, 5 inches wide and about 6 inches below the cooking grate.

Not sure about vertical baffles, I've never heard of them. You want the heat to go sideways, not up. Maybe he means a small plate hanging down into the throat to force the heat down as it goes out the firebox? I've seen some plates that angle down a bit, never seen a vertical one.

Here's a couple pics of the tuning plates in the first one I built:

I live on Hogaboom Road.

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 11th, 2020, 10:04 am

hogaboomer wrote:Tuning plates work similar to a baffle plate, only you leave gaps to let the heat come through, instead of going all the way across and back up and over again. Smaller gaps on the firebox side because it's hotter, gaps get wider as you get farther away from the firebox. My tuning plates are 1/4 inch plate, 5 inches wide and about 6 inches below the cooking grate.

Not sure about vertical baffles, I've never heard of them. You want the heat to go sideways, not up. Maybe he means a small plate hanging down into the throat to force the heat down as it goes out the firebox? I've seen some plates that angle down a bit, never seen a vertical one.

Here's a couple pics of the tuning plates in the first one I built:

Thanks for trying to help. God knows, I need it.
I’ve copied the section of Franks blog about the vertical baffle.

Here it is:
“In an offset smoker there is NO HORIZONTAL BAFFLE PLATE, meaning the cook chamber is open. In the offset smoker, We are going to try and direct the flow of smoke, heat, and air mass upward at (almost) a 90 degree angle as fast as we can from the throat.

In the cook chamber just past the throat opening is a Vertical Baffle or sometimes a scoop like plate. This plate turns the heated air mass straight up to cause a downward convection of the heated air mass.

What we're doing with that is we're trying to get the flow of our air mass to go all the way up and go across the top of the cooker and it's going to convect itself downwards towards the smokestack.

So on pretty much all the different offset style smokers you're going to see the smokestack is at the opposite end of the cook chamber and it's mounted low on the cook chamber at grate level.”

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » June 11th, 2020, 11:32 am

Seems like it would be near impossible to control the heat like that, but maybe it works, I don't know. Tuning plates work great!

I live on Hogaboom Road.

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 11th, 2020, 11:44 am

Thanks mate, they look pretty simple too.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » June 11th, 2020, 11:47 am

Next time I'll use some thinner plate, 1/4 inch was just what I had on hand. I think 3/16 inch would work fine, might be a little cheaper.

At first I was using 1 inch angle for the rails, but you have a gap behind it that fills up with crud. I had this 1/4 inch x 1.5 flat bar that I bought by mistake, so I decided to try it. It works much better than the angle.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 11th, 2020, 11:56 am

I’m going to back up a bit here and ask a question. Why are you certain that you want to build a traditional offset and not a reverse flo?

It truly is a matter of preference and no answer is wrong. I’m just asking the question to better understand your goals.

For every guy who says one is best, somebody will jump in claiming the other is better. I have owned both and will tell you, from my experience, that my RF is easier to control, allows use of more rack space and produces better tasting food than my standard offset.

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 11th, 2020, 12:10 pm

Dirtytires wrote:I’m going to back up a bit here and ask a question. Why are you certain that you want to build a traditional offset and not a reverse flo?

It truly is a matter of preference and no answer is wrong. I’m just asking the question to better understand your goals.

For every guy who says one is best, somebody will jump in claiming the other is better. I have owned both and will tell you, from my experience, that my RF is easier to control, allows use of more rack space and produces better tasting food than my standard offset.
I’ll be very honest here & say the only reason I was going traditional was the extra welding I’d be facing with the RF is daunting to say the least. I don’t want to blow a hole in the side of my CC. [emoji15]

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » June 11th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Me personally, I have never built or even used a reverse flow, so I really couldn't say which is better.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Big T

Post by Big T » June 11th, 2020, 6:31 pm

I also prefer the RF but like DT said there’s no wrong answer, different people like different things. Now I’ll post a picture to give you an idea of what Frank was talking about with a baffle that directs the heat to the top of the cook chamber and normally has an exhaust stack that is mounted at or a little below the bottom grate height. By doing it like this they create convection with the heat swirling around the cook chamber. Image
I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of a Jambo but they’re designed similar to this and they’re one of the big selling pit builders.

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 11th, 2020, 7:38 pm

Thanks BigT. The old saying comes to mind, “A picture speaks a thousand words”. I don’t need to decide which way I’ll go yet, so plenty of time to think it over.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 11th, 2020, 7:54 pm

I’ve been waffling on using a throat baffle vs tuning plates too andysmoked. My first build is a RF. My current project is going to be a hybrid. In my current design with the warming chamber over the FB - I can set it up as a standard offset w tuning plates. Or I can drop a couple more tuning plates in to block the whole bottom off and run it as a RF smoker. I can use the warming chamber and stack as the primary stack. We’ll see how well it works as either a traditional or a RF!
I think for a follow up build to this one, I will do a straight Texas-style standard offset w a throat baffle. I’m keeping my eye out for a 250 gallon tank right now. It will be nice to compare the 3 different types.