First Build. Looking for guidance

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
dacolson

Re: First Build. Looking for guidance

Post by dacolson » October 5th, 2020, 8:49 pm

USMC1995 wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 8:28 pm
Does anyone have a good picture of their drain setup? I seem to recall someone saying that they had the drain going from the baffle plate through the bottom of the CC. My assumption there is that they also have another drain under the baffle. Otherwise how would they address cleaning out under the baffle?
No pic, but you should put a dam at the end of the baffle to keep grease up there. No drain needed on the bottom.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 5th, 2020, 8:55 pm

When welding different thicknesses of metal you have to focus your bead on the thicker material and let it blend into the thinner material. Sometime it helps to do small stitch welds instead of making a long pass. I don't have a picture of my drain but my baffle has a 2'' grease dam at the BP gap and a 2'' drain pipe from the BP down through the bottom of the CC. The only thing that you'll get below the BP is some ash that's drawn out of the FB. I made a small tool that resembles a hoe and I clean out the ash through the throat in the FB. I have also stuck the shop vacc in there and cleaned out the ash.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 6th, 2020, 3:03 am

USMC1995 wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 8:28 pm
Does anyone have a good picture of their drain setup? I seem to recall someone saying that they had the drain going from the baffle plate through the bottom of the CC. My assumption there is that they also have another drain under the baffle. Otherwise how would they address cleaning out under the baffle?
On a RF you need a grease dam at the end of the BP so nothing gets under it. Most don't do a drain and just scrape out any gunk after the cook.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators