Newbie here

Tell us a little about yourself!
JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Newbie here

Post by JB1 » December 9th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Hello newbie here I just decided to build A reverse flo smoker I am planning on doing the cooking chamber octagon 60 inch long by 29x29 out of 1/4 cold rolled steel but I could not figure out the smoke calculator for firebox and smokestack dimensions . Plus I was thinking on doing two smokestacks one reverse flow and one for traditional and just capping the smoke stack I am not using. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated and thank you for letting me be on your site. JB1

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder

Re: Newbie here

Post by hogaboomer » December 9th, 2020, 8:55 pm

I don't think you can do both, all your smoke will just go under the baffle plate and out the nearest chimney.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 9th, 2020, 11:41 pm

You can, but your baffle needs to be removable. If you cut your baffle plate into small enough segments, you can leave some in as tuning plates for the standard offset. That's how I built my hybrid trailer. Works great in both setups.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 9th, 2020, 11:41 pm

And ... :welcome:

JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JB1 » December 10th, 2020, 7:22 am

Thank you I am going to try it I have a traditional smoker now and I don’t like how heat is not even distributed across the cook chamber.

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » December 10th, 2020, 9:04 am

:welcome:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 10th, 2020, 10:16 am

Sounds like quite the project.

Personally, since you already dislike the uneven heat on a traditional offset, I’m thinking a reverse flow is perfect. Why mess with making it work either way? Might I propose that you design and build a RF. If, for some crazy reason you don’t like it, it is super easy to cut out the baffle plate and transplant the chimney.

I’ll bet you never use an offset again once you see how the RF preforms, tho....

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 10th, 2020, 6:46 pm

Welcome aboard! SmokerbuilderMFG builds hybrid smoker just like you're wanting to build so it's definitely possible. I do kind of agree with DT that I don't think I'll ever go back to an offset after using a RF for the last 7-8 years but there's certainly nothing wrong with an offset.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JB1 » December 10th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Dirty tires and big T I think I'm going to take your advice and just do a reverse flow thank you for your advice I've already started on it hopefully have it done in a couple weeks Plus I agree it would not take much with a plasma cutter to make another smoke stack. Is quarter inch plate too thick for the baffle? Thanks you

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm

1/4'' is fine.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JB1 » December 10th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Great thanks

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » December 10th, 2020, 7:18 pm

JB1 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 7:22 am
Thank you I am going to try it I have a traditional smoker now and I don’t like how heat is not even distributed across the cook chamber.
Agreed on the RF smoker. Once the BP heats up it acts as a heat sink and evenly distributes teh heat across the CC. Especially if you install a SP at the FB discharge. I think that you would really enjoy it.. BE sure to post a bunch of pics and don't be afraid to ask questions..

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JB1 » December 10th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Thank you I tried posting a picture on what I've done so far but they won't let me post them I guess they're too big of a file I don't know Lol I'm pretty new to posting on a website like this. I am a real rookie
And I will have lots of questions. Thanks again

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 11th, 2020, 10:42 am

We are happy to help you as you go.....take your time and have fun with the build!

JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JB1 » December 11th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Thank you!
7180C349-7418-4A78-A9DA-FB1BDD6D4D88.jpeg
C0CD3DD8-DFB8-499C-B4A3-1C0107C7FBF6.jpeg

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 11th, 2020, 3:16 pm

It may be too late, but you might consider making the two vertical sections slightly wider than the rest - gives you additional room for extra racks. I have an octagon like this and wish I'd done that with my build. I've seen a few with the wider vertical sections and it's surprising how much more room you get.

JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JB1 » December 11th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Not sure what you mean? The bottom rack is 29x53 and I believe the top rack will be 24x53 And I might do a middle rack I can take it out for bigger meats It’s definitely going to be a work in progress. Thanks

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 11th, 2020, 6:14 pm

I mean if each of your octagon pieces are 50”x12” for example, you could make 6 that size and 2 50x18 to make the tank 6” taller. The two 18” pieces go opposite each other on the vertical sides - front and back. It makes the octagon taller and gives you more rack space inside.
Sounds like you have plans for two or three racks already. How far apart are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JB1 » December 11th, 2020, 8:14 pm

Yes you are right unfortunately I’m too late and I did think about making the sides 18 inches but I decided to make it look like an octagon and used all 12” x 60” pieces. I checked out your octagon smoker and I was very impressed! Nice job, I hope mine turns out OK. I am trying to go with the fat stack type smoker he builds. Thanks for the input.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 12th, 2020, 12:22 am

JB1 wrote:Yes you are right unfortunately I’m too late and I did think about making the sides 18 inches but I decided to make it look like an octagon and used all 12” x 60” pieces. I checked out your octagon smoker and I was very impressed! Nice job, I hope mine turns out OK. I am trying to go with the fat stack type smoker he builds. Thanks for the input.
Thx JB1. With as large a diameter as yours is, you’ll have plenty of room inside. It’s a fun build. Those long straight fillet welds on the inside of the octagon were a great way to practice. I learned a ton. Looking forward to seeing yours progress. I’m a hack compared to a lot of the guys around here. There are some real craftsmen on the forum. Tons of help if you need it.

JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JB1 » December 12th, 2020, 6:38 am

thank you it is always fun working on projects like this, did you integrated a water pan in your smoker i was planning on putting one in it.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 12th, 2020, 9:06 am

No. Never used one. Not in any of my smokers. I know some guys do but I’ve never seen any reason in my personal cooking.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 12th, 2020, 11:09 am

Moisture has never been a problem in any of my smokers. You can safely skip the water pan in my opinion.

JB1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JB1 » December 12th, 2020, 11:49 am

Ok thanks I will skip that then. I am going to need help on what size stack and length and fire box opening to smoke chamber and what distance from grate to baffle should be. Thanks

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 12th, 2020, 12:09 pm

JB1 wrote:Ok thanks I will skip that then. I am going to need help on what size stack and length and fire box opening to smoke chamber and what distance from grate to baffle should be. Thanks
Have you checked out the calculators on the site here? They are at the top of the list of the forum listings back at the homepage. Plug all your chamber size details in and fire box and stack preferences and it will get you the sizing you need. There’s a separate section for calculating throat size by shape etc. in the link right below the pet calculator. Pretty much all the information you never need for sizing. Run the numbers then post them up here and you’ll get some validation or suggestions.

Baffle plate to grate distance is a bit negotiable. I shoot for 3”. Closer and you can over heat your meat.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”