fundraising ideas

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

fundraising ideas

Post by argolee504 » April 18th, 2012, 2:21 pm

I have a friend who has cancer cant work and has 3 small kids. I need ideas on how to do a fundraiser for them I have ask before on another forumm and got some generic answers but nothing on how to actually do it. I have the pit I can cook and the desire all I need is idea on how to get the best bang for the buck. The city refuses to allow more than 1 cook day per month and the police dept constantly have to come by and ask to see the permit which is free for a fundraiser but only for the one time a month. Permits are $25 for that day but I cant get one of those because I did the free thing already. Does anyone a have suggestions how to do something like this. I am willing to do about anything and have a couple people to help me. any ideas would be greatly appreciated

argolee504

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: fundraising ideas

Post by Gizmo » April 18th, 2012, 5:33 pm

The most expensive BBQ you will ever love!
A special sandwich for a special cause.
Help us cook up a helping hand.
... or something like that - but get it determined before you start so you can use it on everything...

.... all these tag lines focused on the second half of the sentence; "A fundraiser to help (friend) and their family through a rough spot by having lunch with us at (location, times, etc...) on April (?) - make your next dining experience your most important one...

Contact all the local TV, Radio, etc and ask to bring some "Q" in for a live interview to talk about the event and share some good "Q" with them on the air so they get excited about it too...

Ask the local newspaper to print you up a couple hundred free fliers then call the local Boy Scout Troops, GIrl Scouts, 4-H, etc. to help you circulate fliers to businesses - because they usually go out to eat lunch anyway....

Do it on a weekday and circulate the fliers the day before - see previous sentence...

A local grocery store near downtown will probably donate some or all the meat if they are included in all the mentions on the interviews and fliers so also ask if you can use the corner of their parking lot in the middle of the day - on a weekday it shouldn't be that full and maybe it's close enough for some to walk...

Pray for good weather...

Just some thoughts.... good luck :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » April 18th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Man I would say that Rick is spot on there buddy..... :yth:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » April 19th, 2012, 11:03 am

I really appreciate the ideas and I know the person im doing this for will be too. I will keep you posted on the progress and results of the fundraiser.

argolee504

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » April 22nd, 2012, 9:30 am

shooting for next week for the fundraiser hopefully things will turn out good Thanks guys for the ideas I will let you know how it turns out any other ideas are welcome

argolee504

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » April 23rd, 2012, 7:30 pm

I have to start with a big thank you to everybody that gave advice I went to the news paper today and tried to take out a add they will do flyers and a write up as well as add foe free. The ad layout grafics lady will do all this at her house fror free They want to sell tickets for the food They said that has worked in the past really well as the peple can see on the ticket what it is for. The ladies husband will distribute the flyers and she will sell tickets herself to help Trying to get her daughters girl scout friends to sell tickets too. The first time this might work also selling tickets for whole briskets and PB( havent really figured out how since the weights will vary but) This will work I think. Thanks again and by the way tyhe catch lines went over really good at the paper office. Time will tellThanks

argolee504

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 23rd, 2012, 7:41 pm

Quoooole! - I LOVE it when a plan comes together... :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » April 23rd, 2012, 7:51 pm

what would you suggest about the differences in weight of the brisket and PB they will all be different how to make that right

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 23rd, 2012, 8:00 pm

I quickly read the other thread on doing the math to figure selling price cause it all looked correct by my thinking so I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for but I would think the fairest method is to come up with a retail per pound price for brisket and use that. The overhead stays the same regardless of the size of the animal so just figure it up on a small one and apply that figure to all of them...

As Frank said - sell the cause - not the "Q" and he who buys more total weight pays more for it ...
Is that what you meant? :)

... or did I miss something...

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » April 24th, 2012, 7:09 am

actually what i was thinking is if I have briskets and PB wrapped and cooked in the warmer waiting and everything is ready and I have a price per pound figured out then I will have some weighing 8 some 10 some 8,5 so will I need to weigh each one or average them and set a price for one or all type deal. I wont have alot of help so I wondered if I could figure a way to avoid weighing each one as it sold Ideas

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » April 24th, 2012, 8:03 am

I would not really worry about the weight of individual pieces. If you are going to sell them whole it would be easier for you to set a flat rate price that makes money for your fund raiser.

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » April 24th, 2012, 9:15 am

:yth: Go to the butcher / grocery store and see what their average weight is. If most are around 8# then come up with a price on 8#. When you buy your meat, try to get pieces that are around the same size (this will help with your cook time also). If your customer is unconcerned with the final weight, just take the per pound price times 3. That will get you pretty close.

On a side note - way to go! I have been wanting to do something like this for a cause but something always gets in the way.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » April 25th, 2012, 10:56 am

adds are out tomorrow and tickets go on sale all over. Going to have plates for $10 dollars and sandwiches for $5 menue will be PB and brisket plates with Baked Beans and Potato salad bread pickle spear and onion slice along with drink. Either Pulled Pork or brisket sandwiches and drink chips. Will also offer whole Briskets and PB for $10 a pound with about a 8 pound average cooked weight Nothing is final until 300 pm so if i am off on something please let me know everything will be paid for to be picked up next saturday

argolee504

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » April 25th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Don't forget to have a donation jar on the counter as well. many people will donate money either just at the jar or in addition to buying food.

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » April 25th, 2012, 5:11 pm

ok thanks Ill do that

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » April 28th, 2012, 7:24 pm

update

Just a update on the fundraise we are having a really good reception to this fundraise and ticket sales are brisk. The tag line we used was " a special sandwich for a special cause eat with us and change a life" that line has really made an impact with people and I owe it all to you.There are several people now that are helping advertize and helping sell advance tickets for the cook even in the towns arround us. we were even invited to a rodeo and parade from the 15th through the 19th to sell and given a place to set up right in front at the very best spot there. Thanks again to everyone for the advice and ideas

argolee594

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 28th, 2012, 7:43 pm

ROCK ON ARGOLEE ! :-bd

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » May 1st, 2012, 7:42 am

Update

we were ask to do a fundraiser in a neighboring town for my friend. The people saw the poster here and called to see if we wanted to do something about 30 miles away We will be doing a brisket sandwich sale there right after the rodeo looks like this saturday at the newspaper then next wed through sunday at the rodeo then again the following wednesday in the other town its snowballing and for the first time looks like it will at least make a dent in the bill, Thanks for everything

argolee504

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » May 1st, 2012, 11:59 am

Congrats Argolee504!!! Good for you!! :-bd

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » May 1st, 2012, 12:47 pm

Great! sounds like this thing will work well for ya! You may be interested in becoming a part of Operation BBQ Relief also

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » May 1st, 2012, 4:25 pm

where do I find out about it

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » May 1st, 2012, 5:11 pm

AKA= The Czar

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » May 10th, 2012, 8:19 am

update

The fundraiser was a real success We sold out in 1 hr and 45 min and have been ask to cook at 3 different places because of it . We are cooking at the rodeo from this coming wed through saturday There will be 1000 up to 2500 attending each night and as soon as I can figure out how much to cook we will get started. Thanks guys for the ideas any suggestions on how to plan for the cook will be appreciated

argolee504

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » May 10th, 2012, 2:16 pm

buy lots of food and beer and get a lot of people to help.....glad to hear of your success!! :kewl: :kewl: :kewl:

AKA= The Czar

argolee504
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by argolee504 » May 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Update Ok well the rodeo turned out well a bust we were misinformed is a nice way to put it as to the amount of people we would actually be feeding so now I have about 600 pounds of meat in the freezer The dance was supposed to be a minimum of 1000 on friday night and 2500 on saturday night we had a little over 500 fed. I owe 95% of that to an announcement by Pat Green the singer he stopped the dance and took about 2-3 minuits to talk about the reason we were doing the fundraiser and we did about all the business after that . I thought it was above what anyone else did there all during the rodeo and the band most all bought something there. I learned alot about fundraising there. We have other things coming up from that so hopefully we will get to use the stored meat ( uncooked of course) If anyone has an idea for a fundraising event please let me know . Thanks guys Maybe Sturgiss

Argolee504

Return to “General Discussion”