150 Gallon Reverse Flow Patio Smoker

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
lecheminant
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

150 Gallon Reverse Flow Patio Smoker

Post by lecheminant » December 10th, 2020, 11:14 pm

I've always wanted to build a stick burner, but lack the metal working/welding skills to do it. I have build a handful of UDS smokers, but nothing too complicated. After years of seeing posts of other smoker builds, I finally decided to jump in. My brother-in-law agreed to help me with the welding. I lucked out and I found an old 150 gallon propane tank for free on Facebook market place.
Tank before cut.jpg
The tank is 3/16 steel, 24" diameter, and 82.5" long. I originally wanted to do a 120 gallon tank with a square FB, but I'm not going to turn down a free tank. I decided to cut the tank and use one section for the FB and the other for the CC. Here is my plan:
Screenshot 2020-12-10 172212.png
The plan is for a 58.5" CC and a 24" FB. After a few soakings, I filled it up with water and made my first cuts.
tank after cut.jpg
I laid out the door and cut it out
partial cut door.jpg
door cut.jpg
I like the look of wagon wheels on a smoker. I figured I would have to make them, but I found a set of old wheels locally. I was told they were belt wheels from an old manufacturing plant. They are 17" diameter and fit on a 2" pipe for an axle.
wheel.jpg
I had a little fun to see what it will look like.
mock up.jpg
I have a few questions:
- My brother-in-law has a couple of sheets of 3/16 steel that he is willing to donate to the project. Enough to do the baffle plate and cover the ends of my smoker. The tank is also 3/16. I know 1/4" preferred. Is 3/16" steel going to be a problem? Is is a big enough issue that I should turn down the free steel? If it is an issue would a shadow plate help?
- I have 4" square tubing that can be used for the smoke stack. Alternatively I could buy a round pipe. Any issues using square tubing?
- The door is 42" long. I am torn if I should add a counterweight or not. I am going to see how heavy it is after it is installed. Any thoughts on using a counter weight or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.

dacolson

Re: 150 Gallon Reverse Flow Patio Smoker

Post by dacolson » December 10th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Welcome! That’s going to be a great project.
I wouldn’t say 3/16 is too thin for the baffle plate but a shadow plate would definitely help.
The 4” square would be fine as well. Check the sizer to account for square vs round pipe.
I would definitely put a counterweight on a door that big. It may seem manageable with two hands and no rush, but put 3 racks of ribs in a tray in 1 hand while you try and open it and you’ll be wishing for the counterweight.
The wheels look sweet. Great find on them and the tank. Looks like you’re gonna come out of this with an awesome smoker for almost nothing!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 10th, 2020, 11:35 pm

Welcome aboard! :yth: I just spent 10 minutes pecking/typing the same thing as Dave only to see that he beat me to it.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 10th, 2020, 11:37 pm

You been beating my updates all evening Big T. Payback! 😂

lecheminant
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lecheminant » December 11th, 2020, 12:43 am

Thanks for the quick replies. I was hoping to save money on the baffle plate, but it would be worse to spend all this time and money and then have a finicky smoker.

I bought the 4" square tube only to later see that feldons is based on a circular stack. But I found the square tube calculator, and luckily I have enough because I bought a piece a little longer than I thought I needed.

Makes sense on the couter weight. I was already leaning on adding one. I am also concerned about safety. Even without the trim and handle, I think that door is heavy enough to break a finger if it were to close on it.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 11th, 2020, 12:55 am

That’s a tricky length on the door. You’d have to make them like 18” wide if you did 2 doors and that’s just way too small. It’s a big door though. You’ll be glad for the counterweight.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 11th, 2020, 4:39 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » December 11th, 2020, 7:23 am

:welcome:

lecheminant
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lecheminant » December 11th, 2020, 9:19 am

I re-read Dave's post this morning and realize that he said "wouldn't be to thin". I thought it said that it would be to thin. That's good news.

As for a shadow plate. I've seen it explained before, but I spent awhile searching and can't find the recommended length. The way I have it designed, the bottom of the baffle plate is 1" above the top of the FB/CC opening. I will put the shadow plate even with the top of the opening. That gives a 13/16" gap between the two. Is there a recommended gap? Based on the calcs, the baffle plate will be 54" long. How long should the shadow plate be? Thanks in advance for the help.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 11th, 2020, 9:25 am

Any gap between the two is better than no gap. Should be fine. If you can squeeze a little extra it may be more effective
The shadow plate should extend at least 12" out from the throat. That's pretty close to a quarter of the length of your BP. Probably wouldn't go much further.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 11th, 2020, 4:54 pm

dacolson wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:37 pm
You been beating my updates all evening Big T. Payback! 😂
=)) I saw that you were active on the forum at the time that I was responding so I should've known that it was going to happen.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 11th, 2020, 5:42 pm

:beer: brother

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » December 13th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Nice start to your build. Those wheels ARE the bomb!!
Keep posting pics..

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

lecheminant
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lecheminant » December 14th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Here's my weekend update. I am trying to get as many of the parts ready for welding as I can. This weekend I spent some time cleaning and removing rust from the wheels and axle(2" pipe). There were a few fittings stuck on the axle, but with some heat, a hammer, and some WD40 I was able to get them off. I also cut the axle down to size.
20201214_183734.jpg
I cut the angle, expanded steel, and grate handle for the shelves. The handles came from a ring attached to an old piece of furniture.
Bottom shelf. 23"x42"
20201214_165218.jpg
Top shelf. 18"x42"
20201214_165027.jpg
I cut the legs and cross braces. Here's a picture with everything laid out. The cross braces won't be that low when welded.
20201214_175901.jpg
I cut the bottom of one set of legs to fit on the axle.
20201214_190217.jpg
The other set of legs I left long enough to attach casters. I'm planning on using 8" casters because I want to be able to move the smoker around as easy as possible. But I am a little worried about how much they swivel and stability. Should I be worried? Are there any benifits from with going smaller casters? Also, should I weld the casters directly to the smoker or should I weld a plate on the legs and bolt the casters to the plate.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Layout looks great. Are you going to weld the grates with the angle iron pointed up like that? Cool look.
Stability should be an issue with the casters. Lots of casters on smokers. If you weld on a plate and bolt them on you can swap them out if you’re not crazy about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lecheminant
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lecheminant » December 14th, 2020, 9:37 pm

I'm not planning on leaving the angle like that. Just laying everything out for the picture, without a way of propping them up.

Thats the reason I was thinking of adding a plate and bolting to the plate, but I've seen some with the casters welded directly on.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 14th, 2020, 11:09 pm

Myself included. And I regret the last one I did. Have to cut it off now.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 15th, 2020, 11:11 am

The bigger the wheels, the easier it is to roll.

However, consider that steel/hard wheels are extremely difficult to roll on dirt/rocks.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by hogaboomer » December 15th, 2020, 12:59 pm

I put my casters on a plate with tapped holes, that way I can take them off before sandblasting.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » December 15th, 2020, 1:40 pm

dacolson wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm
Layout looks great. Are you going to weld the grates with the angle iron pointed up like that? Cool look.
Stability should be an issue with the casters. Lots of casters on smokers. If you weld on a plate and bolt them on you can swap them out if you’re not crazy about them.

I agree! The angle iron laid out like that is a cool look!!

lecheminant
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lecheminant » December 16th, 2020, 8:55 am

Dirtytires wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:11 am
The bigger the wheels, the easier it is to roll.

However, consider that steel/hard wheels are extremely difficult to roll on dirt/rocks.
I am worried about being able to move it around easily, but I was balancing my options. I went back and forth between a trailer, cart with tires, or casters. But I ultimately settled on casters with big wheels in the back. It was a good balance of cost, functionality and looks. I hope it is easy to move, but if not, I can always modify it in the future and put some pneumatic casters/tires on it or change it to a cart.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » December 17th, 2020, 10:42 am

lecheminant wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 9:19 pm
Here's my weekend update. I am trying to get as many of the parts ready for welding as I can. This weekend I spent some time cleaning and removing rust from the wheels and axle(2" pipe). There were a few fittings stuck on the axle, but with some heat, a hammer, and some WD40 I was able to get them off. I also cut the axle down to size.
20201214_183734.jpg

I cut the angle, expanded steel, and grate handle for the shelves. The handles came from a ring attached to an old piece of furniture.
Bottom shelf. 23"x42"
20201214_165218.jpg

Top shelf. 18"x42"
20201214_165027.jpg

I cut the legs and cross braces. Here's a picture with everything laid out. The cross braces won't be that low when welded.
20201214_175901.jpg

I cut the bottom of one set of legs to fit on the axle.
20201214_190217.jpg

The other set of legs I left long enough to attach casters. I'm planning on using 8" casters because I want to be able to move the smoker around as easy as possible. But I am a little worried about how much they swivel and stability. Should I be worried? Are there any benifits from with going smaller casters? Also, should I weld the casters directly to the smoker or should I weld a plate on the legs and bolt the casters to the plate.
If there is a company in town that sells casters, they often have the correct mounting plates with matching holes. I have the luxury of owning a small home shop CNC plasma cutter in my home shop, so I have built many sets of them But when I went to our local caster supplier on my last build, they were so cheap, I just purchased the caster plates from them and welded them to the legs and bolted them to my legs/frame.

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

lecheminant
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lecheminant » January 3rd, 2021, 6:29 pm

I've done a little more work since the last time. After a bit of time getting everything ready to start welding, I packed everything and brought it to my brother in laws to start the welding. We were able to get the cart welded and weld the cooking chamber onto the cart. Below are some pictures of the progress.

We laid out the cart and started welding it together. We cut out some plates for the casters.
20210102_135042.jpg

Here is the cart put together
20210102_174524.jpg

Another view of the cart. This time with the expanded metal welded on.
20210102_184215.jpg

We patched up the holes in the tank
20210102_174647.jpg

One of the patches after gringing it down.
20210102_184153.jpg

Here is the finished cart with the cooking chamber attached.
20210102_200401.jpg

Another view.
20210102_200407.jpg

Other things done but not pictured: cut out a shadow plate and baffle plate; cut out angle and expanded metal for front table; made handles from 2" flat bar.

My brother in law did the majority of the welding but he showed me how to do it and I was able contribute a bit and my welds didn't look too bad. He also showed me how to use the plasma cutter. I wasn't as successful with the plasma cutter. It took a lot of grinding to smooth out my cuts on the shadow plate.

I am happy with the progress so far.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by hogaboomer » January 3rd, 2021, 6:34 pm

I would be pretty nervous about fitup when building the cart first, then setting the tank on. How did it work out, fit up pretty tight? The two legs on the front look like it came together perfect.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 3rd, 2021, 6:44 pm

That’s quite a transformation! Great looking wheels. It’s hard to tell from the pic, but is your tank warped at the FB end? It looks a little squashed but that may be just the picture.